The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
Just checked Edinburgh's website - apparently this year they're diong octiles instead of quartiles? ... that scares me
Original post by rachel479
Ahhh... got 710 band 1.. is it worth applying to Edinburgh, Newcastle or Southampton? :/

Omg thats amazing gratz!
How did you do in the subsections?
How was the sections?
with ar what patterns came up?
ahhhh im stressing out mine is tomorrow and i really want a score like urs:eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Just apply to places that dont heavily weigh on the UKCAT and also do post on here when you get offers or if you get any rejections
Original post by rachel479
Ahhh... got 710 band 1.. is it worth applying to Edinburgh, Newcastle or Southampton? :/

The Newcastle cut off last year was 745- even if it decreases as much as the UKCAT average then it would be risky :/
I doubt it will go down but as much as the national average to be honest
Original post by JM17
660 B2.

Quite pleased with this at first attempt, and due to the fact majority of people who will post scores on here will chat absolute *********.

Got an email saying the UK average was around 640 the other day. So, pleased.

Well done! Where did you get the email from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8686
I'm an EU candidate applying from Ireland. I got 9A's and 1B in my irish junior certificate (GCSE equivalent), and have been predicted to achieve 6A1's and 1A2 in my Irish leaving certificate. I have 3 weeks of work experience, 2 in a hospital and 1 in a hospice. I got 2700 Band 1 in the UKCAT (600VR 790QR 670AR 640DA). Which universities would be the best to apply to for me?
Original post by Willo32
VR 680
QR 740
AR 620
DA 630
SJ - band 1
Total- 2670

A bit meh by these scores, wanted a fair amount above 2700 really, although can't believe qr was so high, it was by far my poorest in practice (well apart from AR)
Wanting to go to Warwick, I have a biomed PhD and a biomed 2.1 degree. Anyone got experience applying with a PhD?

Warwick say candidates without a PhD and scoring less than 2700 were unlikely to be invited to Selection Centre. Candidates with an undergraduate degree and no additional postgraduate qualifications scoring above 3000 were likely to be offered a place at Selection Centre

Given that you have a PhD which Warwick used to take into account quite a bit, it probably makes sense to apply. The 2700 cutoff is likely to go down this year anyway, and the cutoff has always been lower for people with PhD.
Reply 8688
Hi there, I can't say what the cut off this year will be, but last year it was 702.5
Its unlikely that it will go down by that much BUT..
as of 15th september, the average this year for the UKCAT is 636.5
so looks like the overall average has gone down significantly from last years- we'll have to see next week when it comes out.
2013 entry the cut off for Manchester was 662.5 i think.
so it can change significantly.
if your heart is set on Manchester, you could risk it. But Keele is definitely a less risky option! They hardly look at UKCAT, but you have to have a great personal statement.
Original post by 254
Hi there, I can't say what the cut off this year will be, but last year it was 702.5
Its unlikely that it will go down by that much BUT..
as of 15th september, the average this year for the UKCAT is 636.5
so looks like the overall average has gone down significantly from last years- we'll have to see next week when it comes out.
2013 entry the cut off for Manchester was 662.5 i think.
so it can change significantly.
if your heart is set on Manchester, you could risk it. But Keele is definitely a less risky option! They hardly look at UKCAT, but you have to have a great personal statement.

Thanks for such an informative response! I think I will go for manchester. The rest of my options are pretty safe (lancaster, liverpool and QUB) so I should be okay :smile:
Guy's any last minute advice! I have my test 11am tomorrow:eek:
I'm planning on doing the t/f/ct first and then the comprhension with the vr(for those who have done it how many t/f/ct did you get and where were they situated-at the start or end of the questions?)
Original post by TAPTUT
Guy's any last minute advice! I have my test 11am tomorrow:eek:
I'm planning on doing the t/f/ct first and then the comprhension with the vr(for those who have done it how many t/f/ct did you get and where were they situated-at the start or end of the questions?)

I have been doing the same thing in mocks got mine tomorrow too at 4pm :P
Original post by mindlesss
Given that you have a PhD which Warwick used to take into account quite a bit, it probably makes sense to apply. The 2700 cutoff is likely to go down this year anyway, and the cutoff has always been lower for people with PhD.

Yeah thanks for positive vibes, I figure I loose nothing applying this time round. plus it does say if you have less than 2700 without a PhD you are unlikely to get invited, suggesting with a PhD it would be lower than this. Plus if scores are lower Warwick has no idea of this yet as no scores have been released. So I'll err on the side of positive rather than what someone suggested up thread. :smile:
Do we all sit the same exact test???
Original post by Willo32
Yeah thanks for positive vibes, I figure I loose nothing applying this time round. plus it does say if you have less than 2700 without a PhD you are unlikely to get invited, suggesting with a PhD it would be lower than this. Plus if scores are lower Warwick has no idea of this yet as no scores have been released. So I'll err on the side of positive rather than what someone suggested up thread. :smile:

Last year their website explicitly said that the cutoff for people with PhD is lower, and also you got extra points for the academic part of the application if you had a PhD. But this year they have changed their process, so noone on this website would know for sure.
Original post by starlight786
Do we all sit the same exact test???

nope they select the questions from a bank of questions which are released in july when it started this year!
Hello can someone who knows what they're talking about give me some advice please?!
GCSES: 7a*s, 2A's, 2B's
AS Levels: AAAAB ( B in physics)
A2 prediction: A*A*A maths bio chem respectively
UKCAT: VR: 550
QR: 750
AR: 810
DA: 530
660 average Band 1 Disappointed:/ ( I didn't get one true false can't tell wtf is this haha, and my pen ran out)

Where should I apply?!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by frozo123
Hello can someone who knows what they're talking about give me some advice please?!
GCSES: 7a*s, 2A's, 2B's
AS Levels: AAAAB
A2 prediction: A*A*A maths bio chem respectively
UKCAT: VR: 550
QR: 750
AR: 810
DA: 530
660 average Band 1 Disappointed:/ ( I didn't get one true false can't tell wtf is this haha, and my pen ran out)

Where should I apply?!

Tell this to the admissions tutors.
Original post by errrr...
Tell this to the admissions tutors.

we don't have any, you have any advice?
Reply 8699
Just did mine this morning;

VR; 650
QR; 860
AR; 690
DA; 660
BAND 2

Average 715 - Didn't even finish the QR, and Didn't have a single True/False/Can't tell in VR! All was comprehension!

Latest

Trending

Trending