The Student Room Group

What To Wear To The Office?

Ladies, what's in your office wardrobe, especially now that it's autumn?

I wanted to get a few skirt suits, but am not sure what to wear over them now that the weather is getting colder (do most people just wear a nice coat over their blazer or what?) I doubt one would keep me warm by itself...
Original post by Schezerade
Ladies, what's in your office wardrobe, especially now that it's autumn?

I wanted to get a few skirt suits, but am not sure what to wear over them now that the weather is getting colder (do most people just wear a nice coat over their blazer or what?) I doubt one would keep me warm by itself...

Black skirt and white shirt with a decent coat would be your best bet.
Reply 2
Original post by Black Cat
Black skirt and white shirt with a decent coat would be your best bet.

That was what I was thinking, thanks - I want to wear a blazer, though, but I'm not sure if a coat over a blazer would look garish. Or should I just brave the cold in a skirt suit outside?
That was what I was thinking, thanks - I want to wear a blazer, though, but I'm not sure if a coat over a blazer would look garish. Or should I just brave the cold in a skirt suit outside?

A blazer should be okay for now, but a coat or peacoat for the winter also wear extra thick thights/leggings with the skirt or you can wear suit trousers.
Reply 4
A blazer should be okay for now, but a coat or peacoat for the winter also wear extra thick thights/leggings with the skirt or you can wear suit trousers.

Yeah, I'm thinking thick tights - I don't like leggings as business wear, and I'm short so trousers tend to drag unless I wear heels :rofl:
Yeah, I'm thinking thick tights - I don't like leggings as business wear, and I'm short so trousers tend to drag unless I wear heels :rofl:

Haha, my bad leggings were obviously not an option :tongue: that sucks trousers are really comfy why not get them tailored to your exact size could be worth the investment.
Reply 6
Haha, my bad leggings were obviously not an option :tongue: that sucks trousers are really comfy why not get them tailored to your exact size could be worth the investment.

No worries! Thanks for all the advice :tongue: I might do, yeah - tailoring (even in London where there are loads of tailors) could be expensive though, but I'll shop around. I'm petite so I could even wear stuff like the sort of tight black trousers I wore to school as a teenager, but they might look a bit too informal lol.
No worries! Thanks for all the advice :tongue: I might do, yeah - tailoring (even in London where there are loads of tailors) could be expensive though, but I'll shop around. I'm petite so I could even wear stuff like the sort of tight black trousers I wore to school as a teenager, but they might look a bit too informal lol.

Yeah probably do you work in a firm or something? I guess the dress code is quite strict there so it would be a bad idea to wear black trousers or skinny jeans :redface:
Reply 8
Yeah probably do you work in a firm or something? I guess the dress code is quite strict there so it would be a bad idea to wear black trousers or skinny jeans :redface:

I do, yeah :smile:

Wait, what's wrong with black trousers (not necessarily schoolgirl type ones if they're too tight) if they're paired with a black blazer?
I do, yeah :smile:

Wait, what's wrong with black trousers (not necessarily schoolgirl type ones if they're too tight) if they're paired with a black blazer?

Depends where you work and how strict the company is regarding office wear, best thing to do would be to ask.
I stick to collared dresses/tops or smart shift dresses. I also like midi/pencil skirts for the office.

Check my blog for tips:
izzyforyouandme.blogspot.co.uk
Reply 11
I like to wear a skirt, pant, or dress suit. Just the classic outfit.

Quick Reply

Latest