The Student Room Group

Fellow learner drivers. What do you find most difficult about driving?

So far for me its judging the width of the car so I either end up too close to the pavement or too close to the opposite side of the road. Clutch control is a bit hard to master at times too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Bay Parking :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed:
Oh! And the random stupid blonde moments I have
I just passed three weeks ago (yay!) but I find hill stops the most difficult. Hill starts, no problem, but stopping? In the right place? Without rolling back? Then there's the panic of not knowing if the handbrake is on enough, and slowly starting to roll back into the police car behind you... :shudders;
Reply 3
for me it is pedal control but i am getting used to to now
Stop start / slow car control going up hills.

Original post by LouieSax

Didn't do that when I was learning at all.
Reply 5
Oh! And the random stupid blonde moments I have

What kind of blonde moments do you have? I'm bad for not putting the clutch all the way down when breaking :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
What kind of blonde moments do you have? I'm bad for not putting the clutch all the way down when breaking :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My most recent blonde moment, I saw a red light and thought to myself "I should probably stop now" but then carried on driving. -.-' Another time, I was waiting at red lights, waiting to turn left I then turned to my instructor and said "I have to change lanes when the lights go green" The lights then went green and I carried on in my original lane *Face Palm*
My most recent blonde moment, I saw a red light and thought to myself "I should probably stop now" but then carried on driving. -.-' Another time, I was waiting at red lights, waiting to turn left I then turned to my instructor and said "I have to change lanes when the lights go green" The lights then went green and I carried on in my original lane *Face Palm*

I've done things similar to this too. Don't worry haha :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by CookieInOrange
I just passed three weeks ago (yay!) but I find hill stops the most difficult. Hill starts, no problem, but stopping? In the right place? Without rolling back? Then there's the panic of not knowing if the handbrake is on enough, and slowly starting to roll back into the police car behind you... :shudders;

Well done for passing! :biggrin:
I've not done hill starts and stops yet but I can't say I'm looking forward to them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Also how do or did you guys find things like reversing and roundabouts?

So far I've only been driving in an empty car park and on a quiet residential street. I feel like I'll never have the balls to drive on a road! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You only need to do that just before you stop - if you're just slowing down, yo don't need to put the clutch in.
Everything! Worst is reacting to things I see and road signs. I am so slow at processing what's going on around me.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Everything! Worst is reacting to things I see and road signs. I am so slow at processing what's going on around me.

I'm the same tbh :tongue:
When i learnt to drive it was bay parking and occationally roundabouts.
Judging the width of my car and the position in the road. I am getting better though.

Busy roundabouts are tough though.

I was driving along some almost single track country road today and encountered 2 cars on a tight bend with 2 cars behind me. Ye, that was fun :rolleyes: Had to do some reversing.

I don't really panic if I have someone to tell me what to do. In this case I just followed my dad's instructions. It's what I will do if I am on my own. I'm scared of passing and then having to drive on my own lol

Also how do or did you guys find things like reversing and roundabouts?

So far I've only been driving in an empty car park and on a quiet residential street. I feel like I'll never have the balls to drive on a road! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you hadn an instructor or just been using your boyfriend? Knowing that the instructor has dual controls helps alot. They are used to having to grab the steering wheel and use their brakes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Judging the width of my car and the position in the road. I am getting better though.

Busy roundabouts are tough though.

I was driving along some almost single track country road today and encountered 2 cars on a tight bend with 2 cars behind me. Ye, that was fun :rolleyes: Had to do some reversing.

I don't really panic if I have someone to tell me what to do. In this case I just followed my dad's instructions. It's what I will do if I am on my own. I'm scared of passing and then having to drive on my own lol

Have you hadn an instructor or just been using your boyfriend? Knowing that the instructor has dual controls helps alot. They are used to having to grab the steering wheel and use their brakes.

Yeah I've just started going to an instructor as well as getting practice lessons from my bf. I'm hoping that I'll pick up things a lot quicker since I have my own car to practice on as well between lessons :smile:
getting in the right lane at large islands (lol) and sometimes picking up things such as signs and stuff a bit too late, but driving wise i am fine to take my test, only i need to correct these errors as it racks up loads of minors. however i reckon if i was put in for my test i would pass
How to cover up the blood stains on my bonnet.
Reply 18
How many lessons you guys had so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many lessons you guys had so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have played copious amounts of GTA and Burnout Paradise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending