The Student Room Group

Medic blogs?

I see a few blogs in signatures but would anyone like to post their medic blogs here? Or post a recommendation of one?

Love a good read :biggrin:
Reply 1
this one is my favourite

http://disenchantedmedic.tumblr.com/

enjoy
Original post by pgreg1
this one is my favourite

enjoy

Wow. This person has a serious victim complex.
Reply 3
Original post by shiggydiggy

i worry for them because i think that they could be identified based on their blog ... but other than that I find it an entertaining blog and gleefully await the next post.
Reply 4
Original post by pgreg1
i worry for them because i think that they could be identified based on their blog ... but other than that I find it an entertaining blog and gleefully await the next post.

They pissed me off in the first post by saying (in reference to a labour ward emergency) "The reg and myself were the only doctors on." Pretty sure there was at least one other who made a not insignificant contribution to that particular situation...
Reply 5
Original post by Helenia
They pissed me off in the first post by saying (in reference to a labour ward emergency) "The reg and myself were the only doctors on." Pretty sure there was at least one other who made a not insignificant contribution to that particular situation...

if that annoyed you then I wonder what you're going to make of the other posts xD
Reply 6
Original post by pgreg1
if that annoyed you then I wonder what you're going to make of the other posts xD

Original post by Helenia

Original post by shiggydiggy

Honestly the tag "Hi, Im a junior doctor in the UK and I f##king hate medicine" has put me off! :unimpressed:
Reply 7
read only what you want to read? :wink: certainly makes a nice change from the nauseating ego trip that most medic blogs are .
Reply 8
Original post by pgreg1

Well, I get her frustrations, but honestly, I don't think she's making life easy for herself at all. Yes, there are some colleagues out there who are ********s and/or unbearably stupid, but there are plenty more who are decent if you play the game, but make your life hell if you don't. From the nurses' POV, they often work on the same ward with the same people for years and years, and every 3/4 months have to put up with a new batch of doctors who don't know anyone or where anything is, and are varyingly competent and polite. They are also in the front line with the patients and relatives and take all sorts of crap from them - there are still plenty of people who will be vile to nurses but lovely and smiley to doctors, just because of the job title, rather than any degree of competence. I can imagine that must be quite annoying. We all have to do stuff together, and with most people there are ways to approach tasks which make them more co-operative and get stuff done.

For example, last night a midwife asked me to put an epidural in her patient. Normally, if this is going to happen, they will have got the patient onto a CTG and BP monitor, put in a cannula, started some fluids and brought the epidural trolley to the room. This midwife was new and hadn't done the cannulation course and didn't know what kit was needed. I could have just ranted at her that it was her job and she should know how to do it, to get a senior midwife to help her and call me again when she was ready. And possibly posted a blog post about how incompetent madwitches were. Or I could grab my anaesthetic nurse, and say "OK, so Bob (not real name) will show you what equipment you need and help you position the patient, I'll put in the cannula and set up the fluids, and then I'll talk you through what we need you to help with." Which one do you think is going to result in a happier working environment?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I agree with your post 100%
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
Well, I get her frustrations, but honestly, I don't think she's making life easy for herself at all. Yes, there are some colleagues out there who are ********s and/or unbearably stupid, but there are plenty more who are decent if you play the game, but make your life hell if you don't. From the nurses' POV, they often work on the same ward with the same people for years and years, and every 3/4 months have to put up with a new batch of doctors who don't know anyone or where anything is, and are varyingly competent and polite. They are also in the front line with the patients and relatives and take all sorts of crap from them - there are still plenty of people who will be vile to nurses but lovely and smiley to doctors, just because of the job title, rather than any degree of competence. I can imagine that must be quite annoying. We all have to do stuff together, and with most people there are ways to approach tasks which make them more co-operative and get stuff done.

For example, last night a midwife asked me to put an epidural in her patient. Normally, if this is going to happen, they will have got the patient onto a CTG and BP monitor, put in a cannula, started some fluids and brought the epidural trolley to the room. This midwife was new and hadn't done the cannulation course and didn't know what kit was needed. I could have just ranted at her that it was her job and she should know how to do it, to get a senior midwife to help her and call me again when she was ready. And possibly posted a blog post about how incompetent madwitches were. Or I could grab my anaesthetic nurse, and say "OK, so Bob (not real name) will show you what equipment you need and help you position the patient, I'll put in the cannula and set up the fluids, and then I'll talk you through what we need you to help with." Which one do you think is going to result in a happier working environment?

PRSOM
Reply 11
Not one that is updated regularly, but my favourite:

http://mylifeasamedstudent.tumblr.com/

Also, not really a blog but a fun read:

http://whatshouldwecallmedschool.tumblr.com/
Original post by pgreg1
this one is my favourite

enjoy

Oh wow, that was an interesting read! I feel really sorry for that person. It actually sounds like they've tried to be nice (except for their little 'experiment'!) and decent but have kind of not had a great time of it. I guess you've got to inure yourself against that kind of thing in advance, hope it doesn't happen to you.
Original post by pgreg1
read only what you want to read? :wink: certainly makes a nice change from the nauseating ego trip that most medic blogs are .

Ego trip of a different kind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending