The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone got a link to the 2015 stalking page, I can't find it? There is a sticky at the top of the main page for 2014, but I can't see 2015.
Original post by joolsm
Has anyone got a link to the 2015 stalking page, I can't find it? There is a sticky at the top of the main page for 2014, but I can't see 2015.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Stalking_Page_2015
Hi guys. I am currently in year 12 and I hoping to do apply for Med.

Could anyone give me some advice on how to prepare for the UKCAT and when to start doing it?

Btw, please could you bare in mind it takes me A LOT of time to practice and learn things. For example, in my GCSE's I started in February! So any advice on how to prepare, how to familiarise myself, any revision techniques would really be grateful!

Thank you!

Also, congrats to everyone who got the results they wanted!
Original post by Aleenaa

Could anyone give me some advice on how to prepare for the UKCAT and when to start doing it?

Btw, please could you bare in mind it takes me A LOT of time to practice and learn things. For example, in my GCSE's I started in February! So any advice on how to prepare, how to familiarise myself, any revision techniques would really be grateful!

Thank you!

Go on a Kaplan course. Expensive but worth it imo
Original post by Aleenaa

Thank you!

Don't worry at all about the UKCAT until after your AS exams. Make sure you ace them and then concentrate on the UKCAT in the summer
Original post by Clubba
Don't worry at all about the UKCAT until after your AS exams. Make sure you ace them and then concentrate on the UKCAT in the summer

I want to start doing a little bit of prep for it here and there when I have the time. I have got the 600Q UKCAT book but I am finding it quite difficult.
Original post by Olderandwiser23
Go on a Kaplan course. Expensive but worth it imo

Thankssssssssss
Original post by Aleenaa
I want to start doing a little bit of prep for it here and there when I have the time. I have got the 600Q UKCAT book but I am finding it quite difficult.

That is more difficult than the real thing imo. Trust me, don't worry about the UKCAT yet. Focus on getting shadowing/voluntary work organised for the christmas holidays/february half term. Focus on your AS exams. Start UKCAT prep in July/August.

I'd recommend 'Medify' and the 'Score higher on the UKCAT' book (get this book once it's updated in 2015).

I didn't start UKCAT prep until the end of August and took the test in mid September. That was plenty of time imo :smile:

Goodluck
Reply 9309
Original post by Aleenaa

You only need about 2-3 weeks of revising to prepare for it, that's what I did and got a decent score, although I also did the Kaplan course and had access to their online material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
in my opinion there is no point starting now, you'll run out of questions or peak too early - it's better to start about 4 weeks before the exam doing a little bit a day then more intense prep in the final 2 weeks..plus AS exams are more important etc so get them out of the way first
Original post by rachel479
in my opinion there is no point starting now, you'll run out of questions or peak too early - it's better to start about 4 weeks before the exam doing a little bit a day then more intense prep in the final 2 weeks..plus AS exams are more important etc so get them out of the way first

if you get 800+ in the ukcat (and apply to the right paces) you will pretty much be guaranteed 4 interviews
If you get 4As you are in a good position for A2 but it wont guarantee you any interviews

there is a stupid amount of emphasis on the UKCAT exam

but to the person that asked the Q - start after AS exams
Original post by ryanb97
if you get 800+ in the ukcat (and apply to the right paces) you will pretty much be guaranteed 4 interviews
If you get 4As you are in a good position for A2 but it wont guarantee you any interviews

there is a stupid amount of emphasis on the UKCAT exam

but to the person that asked the Q - start after AS exams

Haha yeh the unis seem to love UKCAT so much
Original post by Mehhhh
Aberdeen and Manchester have disappeared :frown: Now how am I supposed to know whether interviews have been sent out for Manchester? HOWWWW? TELL MEEE?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2776591
Original post by Aleenaa

Thank you!

Don't start yet, there simply arn't enough resources! If you really want to do something now practice doing some GCSE maths questions really fast (speed=distance/time, circles, and averages). If you give yourself 3 months that splenty of time even if you buy lots of resources. I completed a kaplan course, all their online tests, ICSmedical, and passing the ukcat and BMAT in about a month :smile:

Haha, I was kidding. I fixed the stalking page :tongue:
Original post by CocoBandicoot
Don't start yet, there simply arn't enough resources! If you really want to do something now practice doing some GCSE maths questions really fast (speed=distance/time, circles, and averages). If you give yourself 3 months that splenty of time even if you buy lots of resources. I completed a kaplan course, all their online tests, ICSmedical, and passing the ukcat and BMAT in about a month :smile:

thank youu!
guys i have AAB at As-level in biology, chemistry and religous studies. do you think i will be able to achieve atleast AAA for A-levels with the as grades im taking to a2? my first month of a2 has been really hard especially chemistry.

Thanks,
Original post by Miladrises
guys i have AAB at As-level in biology, chemistry and religous studies. do you think i will be able to achieve atleast AAA for A-levels with the as grades im taking to a2? my first month of a2 has been really hard especially chemistry.

Thanks,

If you have struggled in the first month of A2, perhaps not as most people who get B's at AS go on to get B's at A2. However, it is not at all implausible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrStealYourGirl
If you have struggled in the first month of A2, perhaps not as most people who get B's at AS go on to get B's at A2. However, it is not at all implausible

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havent neccasarily found it super challenging. For end of term tests i achieved am A in bio and religous studies but a C in chem. Its that C in chem which is bothering me however i had no textbook for chem so didmt revise for it thus maybe thats why i got a C for it.

What do you think now?

Latest

Trending

Trending