The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Decerto
If I do decide to mention it, I would not make it clear it was in year 6. :tongue:

That would be foolish

Just remembered I was one of the main characters in a okay around that time, the baddie :tongue: didn't mention it though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, can anyone answer my question?

Do you need to have any sort of evidence for work experience/shadowing that you do. If so, what type of evidence do you need exactly. Does it have to be a certificate or just a letter? Does it need the hospitals HR signature, or can it just be signed by a doctor?

Any help and advice would be great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jonnyss

Do you need to have any sort of evidence for work experience/shadowing that you do. If so, what type of evidence do you need exactly. Does it have to be a certificate or just a letter? Does it need the hospitals HR signature, or can it just be signed a doctor?

One of the unis I've applied to (either Exeter or SGUL) has asked for letters on headed paper from the faculties I have done them for. Not sure if they require to be signed but think they may do too.
Original post by Jonnyss

Do you need to have any sort of evidence for work experience/shadowing that you do. If so, what type of evidence do you need exactly. Does it have to be a certificate or just a letter? Does it need the hospitals HR signature, or can it just be signed by a doctor?

Some universities ask those who attend for interview to list details of their main work experience placements and give contact details, in order that they can do occasional spot checks. To be on the safe side it is best you to keep any records or evidence you have. It's great if you can get a certificate or letter but if not it would be fine to keep emails or any correspondence you received when arranging the placement. It's always a good idea (and good manners) to send a thank you letter or email, after completing work experience and keep a copy. Its also advisable to keep a diary of your work experience so you can reflect on what you observed and learnt before interview.
Is a charity shop good experience? I'm only 15, so when is the average time that people hoping to study medicine begin to get work experience in caring environments? Thank you x
Original post by Tiger-lily15
Is a charity shop good experience? I'm only 15, so when is the average time that people hoping to study medicine begin to get work experience in caring environments? Thank you x

Charity shop is fine :smile: You won't be able to get any hospital work experience until your 17 as that's the age that most hospital will ask for. You don't really need to worry too much about getting hospital work experience until your in Year 11/12.
Reply 7766
Hi guys so I'm going to apply for GEM but unfortunately due to family illness I only achieved a 2;2 in my undergrad degree. So, I'm hoping to study for an MSc next academic year. It essentially leaves me a lot of free time to try to work on my application whilst also caring for my father and working as a HCA. So far I have completed voluntary placements in ED and Immunology OP, I ran a small voluntary research project at a local University, I volunteered at the local rehabilitation group my father attended post-stroke and I'm a member of St Johns' Ambulance. I'm about to start a placement in Anaesthetics in both critical care and theatres. Afterwards I'm hoping to volunteer at my old college helping out with practical classes. So, is there anything glaringly obvious that my application lacks?

Thanks, Arron.
Hey, it is my goal to study Graduate Entry Medicine and I am currently looking for relevant work experience.

Would something like a Band 1 role in the NHS, for example as a Kitchen Assistant, be suitable as a last resort?

I am considering all options and I want to get something as soon as I can. I am not returning to England until the end of June so I will be able to start working then. I have been looking on the NHS website.

Is there certains Bands that wouldn't be relevant?
Also I currently work in a nursery twice a week, would that, at least loosely, be semi-relevant experience?

I teach English to them but I also help out when they cry and stuff when I am there, I don't change nappies or feed them though.
Original post by ArronP
Hi guys so I'm going to apply for GEM but unfortunately due to family illness I only achieved a 2;2 in my undergrad degree. So, I'm hoping to study for an MSc next academic year. It essentially leaves me a lot of free time to try to work on my application whilst also caring for my father and working as a HCA. So far I have completed voluntary placements in ED and Immunology OP, I ran a small voluntary research project at a local University, I volunteered at the local rehabilitation group my father attended post-stroke and I'm a member of St Johns' Ambulance. I'm about to start a placement in Anaesthetics in both critical care and theatres. Afterwards I'm hoping to volunteer at my old college helping out with practical classes. So, is there anything glaringly obvious that my application lacks?

Thanks, Arron.

Looks really comprehensive to me :yes:. Well done on being so proactive despite family commitments. Good luck :yes:.

Original post by ColyTom
Hey, it is my goal to study Graduate Entry Medicine and I am currently looking for relevant work experience.

Would something like a Band 1 role in the NHS, for example as a Kitchen Assistant, be suitable as a last resort?

I am considering all options and I want to get something as soon as I can. I am not returning to England until the end of June so I will be able to start working then. I have been looking on the NHS website.

Is there certains Bands that wouldn't be relevant?

Working in a hospital isn't strictly necessary but it is very helpful. However as a kitchen assistant, it will be hard to relate that back to medicine and it won't be much different to being a kitchen assistant anywhere else (except on a larger scale). With any job you can talk about time management and teamwork skill development but I don't know if you can relate it back to medicine strictly (having worked in the kitchen of a hotel myself).

Original post by ColyTom
Also I currently work in a nursery twice a week, would that, at least loosely, be semi-relevant experience?

I teach English to them but I also help out when they cry and stuff when I am there, I don't change nappies or feed them though.

That is much more relevant. :yes:.

You can certainly mention both but you need to find a way to link them back to why it would make you a better medical student/doctor.
As in the short, week long placements people get. I volunteer in the A&E department at a local hospital, amongst other things, but I'm struggling to obtain any shadowing placements or anything of that nature. Will my volunteering count as clinical experience, or will I be hindered by this if I cannot find a placement?
Also what type of volunteering? Thanks!:smile:
Hi guys I've written a couple of articles about work experience and being on committees for voluntary organisations on my blog www.philiomccullough.com

They may be useful to some of you guys to see what to expect from work experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coolsquid
As in the short, week long placements people get. I volunteer in the A&E department at a local hospital, amongst other things, but I'm struggling to obtain any shadowing placements or anything of that nature. Will my volunteering count as clinical experience, or will I be hindered by this if I cannot find a placement?

You really need some sort of shadowing experience where you get an insight into what the daily life of a doctor is like. If your current volunteering isn't giving you that then I'd suggest trying to identify a friendly doctor who you might already be familiar with from your volunteering and asking them if it's ok for you to follow them around for a few days.
Original post by WackyJun
You really need some sort of shadowing experience where you get an insight into what the daily life of a doctor is like. If your current volunteering isn't giving you that then I'd suggest trying to identify a friendly doctor who you might already be familiar with from your volunteering and asking them if it's ok for you to follow them around for a few days.

Okay, thanks for your help!
For graduate entry medicine, is seven months volunteering at a hospice enough? (I do other things too of course, I'm just particularly asking about this.) Due to schedule changes I won't be able to continue volunteering at the one I'm at, should I drop it as seven months is enough (I also volunteer for St Johns, at a care home, a hospital, conversation classes with refugees, for Leeds Marrow and tutoring scheme) or should I find another hospice to transfer to? Also, the care home I volunteer at is a residential care home, is that inadequate, am I best looking for a nursing home?
I am 15, and I am just trying to do as much extra curriculars and volunteering that I can at the moment!

I have been volunteering at sue Ryder for a year now, I worked with disabled children for a month in Brazil and I have done the whole sports teams, girl guiding and stuff for a long time.

When I turn 16 (in January) I am going to see if I can volunteer at a hospice or care home, or in the hospital itself, and I am applying to the NHS work experience thing this summer, after GCSE. I might also do NCS too...

Some of my friends are doing gold DofE next year, and I did not do bronze and our school does not offer silver so I am a bit wary, but I was considering doing it to add to my CV and applications and I think it would be fun :smile:

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I could do in terms of experience and volunteering etc? And what things can you do before and after 16? Are there some things you can't do until 18? Thanks :wink:
Hi,
I'm currently moving into upper sixth form and I'm wanting to apply for medicine in October. I have recently returned from project work in Africa and so far only have had 1 work experience placement in a dental surgery.
I was just wondering how much work experience other med school applicants in my position have obtained at this stage.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by carehow
For graduate entry medicine, is seven months volunteering at a hospice enough? (I do other things too of course, I'm just particularly asking about this.) Due to schedule changes I won't be able to continue volunteering at the one I'm at, should I drop it as seven months is enough (I also volunteer for St Johns, at a care home, a hospital, conversation classes with refugees, for Leeds Marrow and tutoring scheme) or should I find another hospice to transfer to? Also, the care home I volunteer at is a residential care home, is that inadequate, am I best looking for a nursing home?

How often do you do you visit the care homes, hospice etc?

Remember you're doing all of these things to put on your personal statement, so it's not so much about how much you do, it's about what you learnt from it.

How's your grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending