The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Nice to hear you're taking steps forward.

NHS management is quite a good scheme that is very stable. http://www.nhsgraduates.co.uk/the-scheme.aspx. Decent pay too.

Didn't realise that Masters are needed to work in NATO and the UN. Figures though. A meetup would be good haha. If you get the Msc at UCL, you are in great stead for a NATO/UN degree. Best of luck mate. I hope everything works out for you. :smile:

Thanks man, you as well. It must be tough now you have graduated being at home. I know folks from my course in the year above who are in the same position.

Looks a cracking scheme. I like the government schemes because of the lower entry requirements. Like I'm on for a 2:1, and I'm on a course that normally requires something like AAA, but I got in with much lower A Levels because I had work exp. as well, but unfortunately some of the big private banks/financial services firms, I'm filtered out because I don't have 320 UCAS points from my first three A Levels.

I recently applied for GlaxoSmithKline and passed the online tests. So I've got that one in the pipeline. I'm just not sure which direction my career will take atm Jammy. It's nice to have this thread to chat to people that are worried about it. You'll do well man, most graduates I know have eventually gotten a graduate level position.
Original post by jam277
Thanks for that.

Interested in the music management vacancies. In fact that sounds bloody awesome. I don't really have prior experience, bar the fact that I can play the piano and I'm perfect pitched as well. Sounds like it's definitely worth a try though.

Defo apply. It still isn't easy but any shot (not a level-entry job) but the competition I imagine isn't as tough.

Apparently advertising something voluntarily, even if it's something beneficial for graduates is breaking the TSR rules. You'd think rules will be dealt with more discretion, but I suppose it doesn't benefit TSR money-wise.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Defo apply. It still isn't easy but any shot (not a level-entry job) but the competition I imagine isn't as tough.

Apparently advertising something voluntarily, even if it's something beneficial for graduates is breaking the TSR rules. You'd think rules will be dealt with more discretion, but I suppose it doesn't benefit TSR money-wise.

It's not just that. One advert might be harmless but if you allow that you have to allow the next ten thousand as well. If advertising was allowed then the place would soon become full of crap and the site would suffer for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yawn11
The feeling will pass once you're closer to achieving your goals, I'm sure.

Graduate life is mentally and emotionally draining. Just trying to stay positive and motivated to apply for jobs and graduate schemes, I know it could take a while so I'm being patient. How's things on your side? Congrats on securing the BBC internship btw. My sis had one, and she enjoyed it, said they paid very well too.

Yeah, my problems are very first-world. I should be grateful for at least finishing university to a required standard (and a high 2.1 isn't bad at all). It seems getting degree, regardless of the classification is barely given a second-glance without relevant experience these days.

I'm really sorry to hear that. But you're so driven that I'm almost certain you'll eventually get into IB (?). I hear it's an elitist field which usually attracts those already fortunate. Have you been able to get work experience in that sector (paid or unpaid)?

My side's ok. I used to settle on the illusion that my life would magically take shape once I graduated. I've now been burdened with the reality that this isn't true, unless serious attempts to do so are made. It's so easy to slip into bed (like Uni days) and sleep the days away. Anyway, I've made attempts to build my CV into something worth looking at little-by-little. I'm working on my communication skills a lot so I'm giving talks at science events, leading Saturday STEM classes, blogging, etc. I'm also getting stuck in on something I love, acting. I've joined a few local theatre groups which have given more some more of that needed confidence. I've just started working PT at a local retail place and it's mind-numbing - I have half a mind to call it quits.

Thanks, given the string of bad luck I've had in the past 3-years, the BBC Horizon offer was unexpected. I'm doing a few things that I hope can impress them and make them maybe consider one day recruiting me for a permanent job. The job also gives me the means to branch on-to other strands like broadcast journalism, which would be cool. Oh lucky her. I'm not getting paid. What did she do there?

Yeah, I doubt most people on here are that interested in the above so I was gonna PM you, but it seems I can't (the last time I checked).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It's not just that. One advert might be harmless but if you allow that you have to allow the next ten thousand as well. If advertising was allowed then the place would soon become full of crap and the site would suffer for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand, but I think discretion is important. I'm not condoning spam advertising, but if it's very useful and relevant to a discussion then I don't see how it cheapens the site.

A genuinely good opportunity has now been deleted.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Yeah, my problems are very first-world. I should be grateful for at least finishing university to a required standard (and a high 2.1 isn't bad at all). It seems getting degree, regardless of the classification is barely given a second-glance without relevant experience these days.

I'm really sorry to hear that. But you're so driven that I'm almost certain you'll eventually get into IB (?). I hear it's an elitist field which usually attracts those already fortunate. Have you been able to get work experience in that sector (paid or unpaid)?

My side's ok. I used to settle on the illusion that my life would magically take shape once I graduated. I've now been burdened with the reality that this isn't true, unless serious attempts to do so are made. It's so easy to slip into bed (like Uni days) and sleep the days away. Anyway, I've made attempts to build my CV into something worth looking at little-by-little. I'm working on my communication skills a lot so I'm giving talks at science events, leading Saturday STEM classes, blogging, etc. I'm also getting stuck in on something I love, acting. I've joined a few local theatre groups which have given more some more of that needed confidence. I've just started working PT at a local retail place and it's mind-numbing - I have half a mind to call it quits.

Thanks, given the string of bad luck I've had in the past 3-years, the BBC Horizon offer was unexpected. I'm doing a few things that I hope can impress them and make them maybe consider one day recruiting me for a permanent job. The job also gives me the means to branch on-to other strands like broadcast journalism, which would be cool. Oh lucky her. I'm not getting paid. What did she do there?

Yeah, I doubt most people on here are that interested in the above so I was gonna PM you, but it seems I can't (the last time I checked).

Yeah it seems generally it doesn't matter what degree you did, where you did it or what grade you got, somehow most of us end up in the same struggle. I have friends with grades from excellent Uni's still looking for jobs. And others with average grades, from average Uni's, who have secured amazing careers. It's luck and hard work I guess.

Ohh hell no, I am definitely don't have an interest in IB. Enjoy having a life. I'm not even entirely sure what I want to do yet if I'm honest, I'm just keeping an open mind. Something within the Healthcare/Medical/Pharmaceutical industry could be good as I may still get to utilise a lot of the knowledge/skills gained from my degree without being stuck in a lab (I did Biomed). But at same time, I'm happy try out other careers like related to business development, like retail banking or whatever. Time will tell.

I honestly can't remember what she did, not sure if I asked (not a great brother lol). I'll ask her when she gets home. But she enjoyed it, and naturally it looks great on the CV.

Glad your're chasing the passion though. Soon enough you may need a manager to help you track down audition opportunities :smile: - And you should be able to PM? :s-smilie: I've got got plenty of inbox space
Original post by jam277
x

Jam, I've just been informed about the Aldi graduate scheme. I had to adjust my screen on the 'Benefits' page to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Truly incredible. Definite application from me.

But yeah man, UCL, I just want the status of it. My little bro is applying for Oxford MA as well, so I'd love to go to UCL as its ranked joint 5th in the world with it.
Original post by Eboracum
Jam, I've just been informed about the Aldi graduate scheme. I had to adjust my screen on the 'Benefits' page to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Truly incredible. Definite application from me.

But yeah man, UCL, I just want the status of it. My little bro is applying for Oxford MA as well, so I'd love to go to UCL as its ranked joint 5th in the world with it.

Nice. Yeah that's why I thought Hayles was on it because she was on a similar wage with an Audi lol.

Yeah sibling rivalry fair enough. I went to the best uni out of my family which is cool. I miss uni quite a bit though. Never gonna have years like that again. Enjoy your third year. Despite the work it's better than going into the real world.
Original post by jam277
Nice. Yeah that's why I thought Hayles was on it because she was on a similar wage with an Audi lol.

Yeah sibling rivalry fair enough. I went to the best uni out of my family which is cool. I miss uni quite a bit though. Never gonna have years like that again. Enjoy your third year. Despite the work it's better than going into the real world.

Yeah. Somebody mentioned it to me and I laughed and didn't believe them. I wasn't laughing as I read the website last night. Also I just heard someone at my uni from last year got on the Aldi scheme with a 2:2 even though it says you need a 2:1.

Yeah I don't work hard enough really, my brother works insanely hard man, he's at Durham and has academic prizes for highest grades in the year, I'm too lazy.

Hows the applying going Jam, have you made a list of grad schemes to apply for? Have you submitted your NHS one? You should look at the Care Quality Commission as well, they have a cracking scheme. Will try to enjoy last year for sure, I'm pretty excited about the possibilities for the future though!

PS - Don't be too harsh on me Sunday when you romp us. :frown:
Just had AJ interview for a 6 month contract at a clinical institute related to Imperial. Not a royal **** up, but was okay at least :smile:
Original post by Eboracum
Yeah. Somebody mentioned it to me and I laughed and didn't believe them. I wasn't laughing as I read the website last night. Also I just heard someone at my uni from last year got on the Aldi scheme with a 2:2 even though it says you need a 2:1.

Yeah I don't work hard enough really, my brother works insanely hard man, he's at Durham and has academic prizes for highest grades in the year, I'm too lazy.

Hows the applying going Jam, have you made a list of grad schemes to apply for? Have you submitted your NHS one? You should look at the Care Quality Commission as well, they have a cracking scheme. Will try to enjoy last year for sure, I'm pretty excited about the possibilities for the future though!

PS - Don't be too harsh on me Sunday when you romp us. :frown:

Will not troll regardless of score vs United don't worry.

I think that's the problem with uni and work life. It involves hard work, it's not that people are incapable of doing it it's that they make themselves incapable of becoming adept at their subjects. A bit of positivity always goes a long way.

Yeah I'm going to submit the NHS one this week hopefully. :smile:
Original post by Smack
Those jobs boards receive such an enormous volume of applicants for each position, that it would probably be more unusual to get a response than not get one!

Apply to companies directly. Send of speculative applications. Take a more proactive approach.

Did try that with no success, it makes me believe that it's not about what you know it's who you know
Original post by _icecream
Did try that with no success, it makes me believe that it's not about what you know it's who you know

Well, I think that too. Guy from my cohort in my class got lower marks than me and less experience but he got a pupillage at a good set in London. His uncle was a high up judge. I would never get that because I just don't have the same contacts.
How would any of you lot answer this?

"Please describe the most challenging experience of your life to date. This could be physically or mentally demanding"

Beign ill and getting defeated by Aldi stock assistant job applications is really depressing... It's been really dark and dingy outside as well. I feel like a zombie :indiff:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Ford
Well, I think that too. Guy from my cohort in my class got lower marks than me and less experience but he got a pupillage at a good set in London. His uncle was a high up judge. I would never get that because I just don't have the same contacts.

This doesn't happen in the public sector I guess
Mentally demanding, say for example you are a carer for a disabled person, you can use something like that.
Physically demanding. Say for example you had to train for a marathon.
One that could be both draining is balancing work, little money and extra curricular activities(e.g. football socials etc.)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

"Please describe the most challenging experience of your life to date. This could be physically or mentally demanding"

Beign ill and getting defeated by Aldi stock assistant job applications is really depressing... It's been really dark and dingy outside as well. I feel like a zombie :indiff:

What job your applying for?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I usually use moving to Florida on my own and organising it all. That way I get to put in that I worked in Disney World and that always looks good on my application.
Original post by _icecream
What job your applying for?

Stock assistant and care taker positions at my local aldi. The web page is giving me error messages though. The universe evidently doesn't want me working at aldi. Oh well. *crawl back into bed*
Im about to lose my mind! why is it so hard to get a decent full time job, jfc Its even hard to get part time retail jobs. It so depressing not earning any money at all and signing on while you listen to your work coach belittle you and recommending useless work programs that wont lead to anything. Its got so bad that jobs can demand 2-3 years experience, certifications, degree and only offer £17k a year?? lol You would think a £17k a year job would be easy to get considering the salary is so low

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending