The Student Room Group

24 and looking to return to education

Hello!,

I am 24 years old and looking to return to education and wondering if anyone has any information that could help me,

Basically as my situation goes in the past i have been to my local 6th form twice in the past and a local college to study a B-tec, i have also studied on a course at university (television and film), however only made it 1 year through before dropping out.

I am looking to change direction in life and i am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position. in my youth i never really took my education seriously and was clueless about what i really wanted to do with my life, now i have better knowledge of the world and want to pursue a meaningful career is it too late?

I also have a few questions,
can i get finance for university again?
do i have to pay to go back to 6th form?
has anyone been in a similar situation who can share information?

I appreciate any information anyone out there can give me and thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this.
Original post by final_stand

1. can i get finance for university again?
2. do i have to pay to go back to 6th form?

1. Yes. Everyone is entitled to a student loan which covers the full length of their degree plus one 'gift year'. The gift year is used if you have to re-sit a year or if you dropout and start a new degree. You have now used your gift year so you cannot afford to drop out again, so make sure you pick the right degree!

2. If you do a level 3 qualification (A levels or an Access course for example), you can get a 24+ loan to cover your costs.

Do you know what degree you want to do? Do you intend to do A levels, an Access course or another BTEC? My once piece of advice would be don't rush, take your time and think carefully about what degree you want to do.
Reply 2
To add to the above, if you use the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan for an Access to HE course, the debt is wiped out if you then go on to complete a degree. This doesn't happen if you use it for A Levels then go on to do a degree.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/further-information

Once you have an idea of what type of degree you want to do, contact a few unis and ask their preference for mature applicants. They won't be the same as the requirements published for school leavers and many prefer the Access course over A Levels, as Access gives a better preparation for uni-type studying (which is generally very different to A Levels).

Having said that, do bear in mind that an Access course is specifically intended to be a uni entry qualification and it doesn't tend to be recognised by employers. If you're still unsure about uni, A Levels will give you a more flexible qualification in the job market.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello Final_Stand,

You are never too old to return to education...I know people who have returned at the age of 30+.

Which course is it that you are interested in?

If you have only studied at University for 1 year then you should be able to apply for a student loan for another 3 years, especially if you are going on to study something within the education sector. Please see Student Finance England for further information:

https://www.gov.uk/mature-student-university-funding

Please also see our website for different types of courses you might be interested in:

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/Home.aspx

If you have any further questions please let me know and I will be happy to help you.

Thank you,

Aimee
Let's work together - University of Bolton
Reply 4
It's never too late to learn. I'm 33 and in my final year of a business degree. You can do it if you put your mind to it. Just go for it. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending