The Student Room Group

First day of apprenticeship

I start work in a few days. I just feel under prepared. All I have is a notepad and pen. Is there anything else I could get?

Secondly I don't feel confident. Because this is my first job.

Anyone please give me advice on how to prepare for the first week of work. Any tips. And please do share your experiences of what you did on your first day.
Reply 1
Original post by vivaronaldoo
I start work in a few days. I just feel under prepared. All I have is a notepad and pen. Is there anything else I could get?

Anyone please give me advice on how to prepare for the first week of work. Any tips. And please do share your experiences of what you did on your first day.

what type of apprenticeship is it? in the first week you won't do much, they'll teach you how to use their system and stuff. You should get a diary so you can write down your priorities, calculator if you don't have one? a good idea would be to read the job description again and research how you'd carry out the tasks. Listen to what they teach you, write things down and definitely ask questions if you don't understand anything. By the way i don't do an apprenticeship just something i've read online. Good Luck with it and stay calm! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ko111
what type of apprenticeship is it? in the first week you won't do much, they'll teach you how to use their system and stuff. You should get a diary so you can write down your priorities, calculator if you don't have one? a good idea would be to read the job description again and research how you'd carry out the tasks. Listen to what they teach you, write things down and definitely ask questions if you don't understand anything. By the way i don't do an apprenticeship just something i've read online. Good Luck with it! :smile:

It's a higher apprenticeship in project management. I chose not to go university. Really liked the company so thought I'll go for it. Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be getting a diary!
Reply 3
It's a higher apprenticeship in project management. I chose not to go university. Really liked the company so thought I'll go for it. Thanks for the reply. I will definitely be getting a diary!

Sounds great man and no problem!

Be prepared to feel really uncomfortable... and to think "that's okay". It's not like school where you are all new together; you will possibly be the only new person and everybody else will look like they know exactly what they're doing and are all best friends with each other! But just relax and be patient. Everybody will know you are new and won't expect you to know how to do everything or be instantly comfortable in everybody's presence. And as time goes by you will not only get more confident in your role and socially but you will discover that everybody else actually doesn't know what they're doing and isn't super confident - offices are full of little secrets and insecurities you'll get to learn about as time goes by! In short just keep calm, listen, learn and remember nobody you will meet was born working there - everybody had to have a first day!
This is an update. I've started my apprenticeship and I'm getting to know everyone better. And it's a great company.

HOWEVER. I find myself doing nothing most of the day. Everyone else is so busy. I've learnt a few things but the problem is I have a lot of free time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
This is an update. I've started my apprenticeship and I'm getting to know everyone better. And it's a great company.

HOWEVER. I find myself doing nothing most of the day. Everyone else is so busy. I've learnt a few things but the problem is I have a lot of free time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! If you find yourself doing nothing you might want to give them a hand with work or ask for more work from your manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is an old thread but can I ask who you are doing the apprenticeship with? You can PM me (but don't feel like you have to tell me) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending