Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

The Internet and Gaming at Newcastle University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jake-Cm
Anyone got anywhere with this yet? It seems that only TCP vpn's work not UDP ones. Privatetunnel works, but I can't connect the Xbox or ps3 as I can't find the server address to set it up manually and I don't know if it's PPTP or L2TP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got mine working. Once you purchase StrongVPN, you need to then upgrade it to openVPN.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 101
How do I upgrade it to OpenVPN?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jake-Cm
How do I upgrade it to OpenVPN?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me it seems that privateinternetaccess works better, its cheaper and no need to upgrade to openVPN as you get it anyway
Reply 103
That would probably be better as I know OpenVPN works and I'd rather have it as standard. Did anyone have any issue getting the connection to their console after getting it working on their computer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i never had to buy openvpn
Reply 105
Oh? How did you do it? And I have openvpn vpn's working on my laptop, but I just can't get the connection to the ps3 or Xbox. Simply sharing the connection doesn't work. Help :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any update for this issue? Has it been resolved or is it still the same? Also how did people bridge their VPN connections from computer to console? (If still applicable)
Please I need help urgently! Anyone has an openvpn config file to share me please.
guys please say this has been fixed, I'm not sure I can go without xbox or steam for 3 years eek :s-smilie:
oh bum. It's not a huge problem for me since I usually play offline anyway... But I'm so looking forward to Dragon Age Inquisition and the whole 'Keep' thing they're gonna use instead of imported save files is gonna be an online feature I believe. So... a little bit disappointed. :grumble:
Reply 110
Can somebody give me a hand with setting up a VPN? I'm clueless but with fifa coming out tomorrow i'd love to have xbox live for it! I just want something that works, the price isn't really an issue!
1. Connect to the newcastle uni vpn as usual first

2. go here: http://freevpn.me/accounts and set up a connection with ANONYMOUS SERVER #1 using PPTP (don't worry about openvpn). use these instructions if you get stuck https://www.hideipvpn.com/2009/09/howto-windows-7-pptp-vpn-setup-tutorial/

3. connect to your new freevpn connection to test it. if succcessful then you should see on the little wifi menu on the corner of the screen that you're connected to freevpn (or whatever you decided to name the connection and whatever newcastle call their vpn)

4. disconnect freevpn. -- if you only want to use steam, you can stop here. if you wanna use xbone, etc. on wifi then keep going.

5. Try using this http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com, just make sure you chose your freevpn connection as the shared connection

6. if that doesn't work, follow these instructions to the letter https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/316/share-private-internet-access-vpn-with-all-your-wireless-devices/p1 except that you should ignore these parts: "First, install PIA's client on your Windows PC. ", we did the equivalent of that by setting up free vpn; and ignore this part at the end with the screenshot of a settings page with a yellow arrow on it above it "Now connect to network “Test” using password “password” from your wireless phones. All your devices connected to network “Test” will use PIA's VPN.
", Instead of doing that part, simply reconnect the freevpn connection, and then continue with the rest of the steps

7. connect your xbox or another laptop or whatever. if it doesn't work, try again, if it still doesn't work then try again again, and if it doesn't work after that then tough **** basically because it doesn't work with every wireless card

n.b. I left ricky road two years ago (and you can't access ncl vpn outside of halls) so I can't test this, but these are exactly the same steps i used when i was there. Also bear in mind that laptops are not designed with routering in mind, so the recpetion will be ****ty. If you use mac, you're out of luck since they can't connect to a vpn through another vpn like we are doing in windows. If you use linux, why are you reading this? figure it out yourself.
also, freevpn change their passwords and usernames monthly, so you might have to redo this process each time or find a better vpn provider
Please can soemone help me with this. My shiny FIFA 15 came today, but Steam and my Xbox 360 don't work with the Newcastle Uni network.

I asked why because every other University is able to register consoles etc on their respective networks, and here was thre wishy washy response which is the same as the one posted on page 1 of this thread which was in 2011..

Summary: OOH F4062728 - xbox 360 connection to the wireless network
Service Request Item: IT Help and Advice
Fulfilment Detail: Hello

Further to your query to the out of hours staff regarding connecting your xbox to the University wireless network, we know that online computer games are an important leisure activity for many students and we are open to explore how we can make some gaming facilities available within Halls without compromising the performance, security or resilience of our academic network.

There is a huge workload associated with our current network upgrades and this high priority infrastructure work has to be the immediate focus for the network team.

Realistically, we have not been able to begin to investigate access to computer games in accommodation before summer 2014. We will need to look at which platforms are of most value to students, plan how to deliver the service and make sure that it is scalable. This may involve pilots in specific buildings. We will hopefully be doing some work soon with Halls Reps who can help us identify the most popular systems.

Regards

Lucy

Following this, i downloaded SoftEther (a free VPN which is supposed to be good), but I keep getting protocol errors when i trying to connect to it.

If anyone knows how I could get my Steam and 360 to work I would be honestly so grateful. It is clear they don't have any intention on enabling it for consoles s apparent in that wishy washy e-mail with no timeframe.

If anyone could private message me on here if you know how i could get them both to work i'd be so grateful. Hey, even come down to Leazes Parade to do it for me and i'll buy you a crate and we can play some FIFA/ COD/ Battlefield online :wink:
Original post by Zero12
Can somebody give me a hand with setting up a VPN? I'm clueless but with fifa coming out tomorrow i'd love to have xbox live for it! I just want something that works, the price isn't really an issue!

Im in the exact position as you mate. If you do find a working solution please let me know, as I will if I get mine working. I just want to play Ultimate Team on my new FIFA 15 ://///
Reply 115
Original post by Adrian_H
Im in the exact position as you mate. If you do find a working solution please let me know, as I will if I get mine working. I just want to play Ultimate Team on my new FIFA 15 ://///

Just gonna have to wait it out til they sort it i think! Whereabouts you staying?
Reply 116
This is ****ing bull****. Has this problem been fixed? If not, I very much doubt I could even go to Newcastle uni... Will this problem be fixed for 2015 applicants?
Reply 117
Ok I managed to get it to work in the end, not sure if you can apply this to other VPN services but this is how I got it to work on Xbox and PS3. I used a laptop to make this work and needed a wifi connection for reliable results.

1. Download PrivateInternetAccess. Yes it's a paid for VPN and I hope you can find a free one that works.

2. Install the programme.

3. Make sure your laptop is connected via wifi to the uni internet

4. Open network and sharing centre

5. Go to adapter settings and find the Tap32 adapter I believe it is called. This is the privateinternetaccess adapter.

6. Right click on it, go to properties and then to the sharing tab.

7. Tick "allow other users to use this connection" other box is optional. Select share via Ethernet or local area connection 1.

8. Start up private internet access and choose the closest server to you.

9. Plug the Xbox into the laptop via its Ethernet port.

10. Then test the connection and it should work.

Note: if you want to connect your laptop to the internet via Ethernet, you must go back into the tap adapter sharing tab and untick the box that allows users to share the connection via Ethernet. If you wish to re-use the laptop for gaming just re-tick the box.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys, does installing a vpn allows the user to connect to steam.

Desperately need an answer ASAP.
My OpenVPN doesn't work in uni? Works fine at home but it just doesn't connect in halls.
Anyone know how to fix this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending