The Student Room Group

Do medical schools care if your degree isn't from a Russell Group uni?

When applying for medical school with an undergraduate degree, do medical schools care where you get it from?
Original post by bullsonparade1
When applying for medical school with an undergraduate degree, do medical schools care where you get it from?

Not even a little.
Reply 2
Yes they do e.g. If a degree is a science from a top russell group uni its better than a social science degree from a ex-poly
Reply 3
Original post by Northstar
Yes they do e.g. If a degree is a science from a top russell group uni its better than a social science degree from a ex-poly

Nope. For graduate entry medicine, if the requirement is a 2:1 then they don't care where it's from. GEM is supposed to widen access to medicine so favouring Russell Group uni's would detriment the entire point of it.

This is coming from a future GEM applicant who's undergrad degree is from a Russell Group uni.
Reply 4
They do care because every single GEC here has a first or high 2.1 from a top uni. This is bham medical school - where I'm at after doing a degree at a russell group uni. The fact is they want the best people - and people with good degrees from top uni's are chosen first.
They do care because every single GEC here has a first or high 2.1 from a top uni. This is bham medical school - where I'm at after doing a degree at a russell group uni. The fact is they want the best people - and people with good degrees from top uni's are chosen first.

Yeah, Bham want a first. Guess what, not everywhere else does.

"Top uni" - yeah, the importance placed on this concept only exists in the minds of TSR sixth formers.
Reply 6
The applications aren't uni blind. Every single GEC course in the UK tries to recruit students from high ranking unis.
Why would they not? Just think about it for 1 second.
The applications aren't uni blind. Every single GEC course in the UK tries to recruit students from high ranking unis.
Why would they not? Just think about it for 1 second.

No they don't, this is total *******s. There are people on my course who went to Oxbridge and people who went to ex-polys. Guess what, they've all passed their exams so far and are well on their way to qualifying.

The applications aren't blind, but that doesn't mean that the universities discriminate on that basis. This is medicine, not some ******** club like investment banking.
Reply 8
Chill mate, but I stand by what I said. The whole application matters , why would where you achieved your undergrad degree not count?
Of course there are people from ex-polys but they aren't the majority. If you don't like that fine but its the reality.
Chill mate, but I stand by what I said. The whole application matters , why would where you achieved your undergrad degree not count?
Of course there are people from ex-polys but they aren't the majority. If you don't like that fine but its the reality.

I'm not your mate, mate.

Because it's a totally illogical way of discriminating between applicants - university academics do not think the way morons on TSR imagine they do.

Anyway, it's your ridiculous assertion so the onus is on you to provide the proof - so where is it? Where is your evidence that graduate entry medicine courses discriminate on the basis of university?
It doesn't count at all. My nursing degree is from an ex-poly and I got two interviews and am currently in my first year of GEM.
Reply 11

Correlation does not imply causation.

And applicants do a really bad job at guessing what would be 'logical' approaches for university admissions departments to take.
Original post by Democracy
I'm not your mate, mate.

Because it's a totally illogical way of discriminating between applicants - university academics do not think the way morons on TSR imagine they do.

Anyway, it's your ridiculous assertion so the onus is on you to provide the proof - so where is it? Where is your evidence that graduate entry medicine courses discriminate on the basis of university?

I'm more likely to believe Demo's perception of "reality" tbh. He DID medicine!

Birmingham isn't the one medical school in Britain. We have quite a few. They're all different...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending