The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Heya! Just wondering if the uni email password is the same as the one we set for CIS? thanks ^^
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by zooziezoo
Heya! Just wondering if the uni email password is the same as the one we set for CIS? thanks ^^

Yep :smile:
It's probably been asked before but I can find it anywhere: john snow or Stephenson college? Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linney
Yep :smile:

Fab, thanks! I'll give it another go ^^
Hey everyone, just wanted to know that the accommodation at the John Snow College, I mean the rooms, is each and every fresher accomodated in a seperate room or are there like, a couple of students in each? :biggrin:
Original post by Bilal.ali13
Hey everyone, just wanted to know that the accommodation at the John Snow College, I mean the rooms, is each and every fresher accomodated in a seperate room or are there like, a couple of students in each? :biggrin:

Hi Bilal.ali13,

In John Snow, you're allocated an en-suite room in a block of 6 rooms, and you just share the kitchen. They're all self catered. You get 2 evening meals a week, unless that's changed in the last 3 years :smile:

This link should answer any other questions https://www.dur.ac.uk/johnsnow.college/accommodation/

Hope this helps,
JJ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayJay89
Hi Bilal.ali13,

In John Snow, you're allocated an en-suite room in a block of 6 rooms, and you just share the kitchen. They're all self catered. You get 2 evening meals a week, unless that's changed in the last 3 years :smile:

This link should answer any other questions https://www.dur.ac.uk/johnsnow.college/accommodation/

Hope this helps,
JJ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it helped a lot, thanks ! :biggrin:
Anyone else still waiting on their part-time application?

Feel I should contact them directly but don't want to be thought of as impatient?
I checked the website and the offer for History is A*AA-does the A* have to be in the subject I'm applying for or can it be in one of my other A levels?

Thanks!
Original post by samstown
I checked the website and the offer for History is A*AA-does the A* have to be in the subject I'm applying for or can it be in one of my other A levels?

Thanks!

It can be in any of them unless specified :smile:
Original post by emma2013
It can be in any of them unless specified :smile:

Thanks :smile: I've been panicking a bit about getting an A* in History!
Hello,
I am thinking of placing Durham as one of my 'aspirational' choices. How strict are Durham when in comes to retakes - any of you that retook and achieved the offer grades?
Does anyone know when and where the Castle Freshers' Fair is being held?

And is a white shirt absolutely necessary for matriculation or will a black dress serve?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sneakysquirrel

And is a white shirt absolutely necessary for matriculation or will a black dress serve?

Ummm not sure about Castle specific Fresher's Fair (you should get information either in a welcome pack from college or when you arrive) but the university wide one (which is much bigger and has all of the societies open to anyone in the university) is on the 2nd and 3rd, with different societies and clubs on each day.

And unless Castle have specific rules which differ from the university guidelines, no, just dress smartly. However Castle (being Castle), may well have set different rules for what to wear with gowns so I'd bring a white shirt in case if that's what you've been told!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pianofluteftw
Ummm not sure about Castle specific Fresher's Fair (you should get information either in a welcome pack from college or when you arrive) but the university wide one (which is much bigger and has all of the societies open to anyone in the university) is on the 2nd and 3rd, with different societies and clubs on each day.

And unless Castle have specific rules which differ from the university guidelines, no, just dress smartly. However Castle (being Castle), may well have set different rules for what to wear with gowns so I'd bring a white shirt in case if that's what you've been told!

Thanks!
I am applying to oxford as well as Durham and I have just been told that I should write an alternative personal statement for Durham even though I am applying for the same course at both because apparently people have been rejected in the past from our school todurham for not tailoring their personal statement to the Durham course enough. Did people do this?
Original post by sneakysquirrel

The castle sports and societies fair is from 10AM to 12:30 AM on the Saturday

source: https://www.dur.ac.uk/university.college/inductioninfo/timetable/

I'll be there running the Castle Ultimate stand. It's a great event each year and there is much to look forward to for freshers!
Original post by Silverland
The castle sports and societies fair is from 10AM to 12:30 AM on the Saturday

source: https://www.dur.ac.uk/university.college/inductioninfo/timetable/

I'll be there running the Castle Ultimate stand. It's a great event each year and there is much to look forward to for freshers!

Thank you!
Do all of the full catered colleges have small kitchens for you to share?
Original post by RichardArmstrong
Do all of the full catered colleges have small kitchens for you to share?

I haven't seen the accommodation in most of the colleges but as far as I'm aware all have some kind of pantry shared between a group of people. At Trevs, shared between a landing of six, they all contain a kettle, a fridge, and a toaster, and some have hotplates and freezer compartments too.

The contents of these rooms will no doubt vary across the colleges but at least at Trevs they are not really designed with fully fledged cooking in mind... only every other has a hot plate and there aren't any ovens, or a huge amount of side space, but they are perfect for hot and cold drinks, and snacks like cereal and toast.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest