Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Hi

Hi

Any advice for applying to the Creative Writing course for 2015?

Also, I am applying from India and will have all my documents in place and ready for application in the next couple of weeks. The only thing missing will be my IELTS score; I won't be able to take the test before December (next available slot) but I was wondering if I'll be able to submit my application without it and supply the test scores in December?

Will this affect my application in any way?

Thanks
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by JB384893
I've just applied for your Biochemistry with Genetics course. When should I expect to hear back?

Hi,

Thanks for your queries, for our Biochemistry with Genetics course we aim to have a decision with applicants within 10 to 15 working days of an application being submitted, so you should hopefully hear from us soon. If we have any questions about your application we will email you using the contact email address in your application.

And are you unbiased towards personal statements which are geared towards medicine/dentistry when a student is applying to another course, e.g. a biology related course at your university?

This is a common question, we are able to make decisions using the personal statement submitted meaning it is not necessary to submit a new personal statement, though many applicants find it beneficial to submit an alternative personal statement or additional supporting statement in a second subject of interest. This provides the Admissions Tutor with a greater understanding of the applicants interest in the alternative course choice. If you wish to submit an extra statement detailing your interest in the course, please send this via email to [email protected].

Matt Birkett | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
I applied for the MSci Geography (Professional experience) course this year. I was wondering what the target time during which to reply to applicants is.

Many thanks,
Original post by dbose
Hi

Hi

Any advice for applying to the Creative Writing course for 2015?

Also, I am applying from India and will have all my documents in place and ready for application in the next couple of weeks. The only thing missing will be my IELTS score; I won't be able to take the test before December (next available slot) but I was wondering if I'll be able to submit my application without it and supply the test scores in December?

Will this affect my application in any way?

Thanks

Hello,

Typically we look for applicants who have studied Literature, Language or Creative Writing within their qualification. We would also look for a keen interest in Creative Writing within the personal statement.

Yes, submitting your application prior to taking your IELTS test is fine. We ask that you do list the qualification under section 5b - qualifications to be completed, this way we can include this in your offer if required.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
Original post by darius89
I applied for the MSci Geography (Professional experience) course this year. I was wondering what the target time during which to reply to applicants is.

Many thanks,

Hello,

We aim to get in touch with students within 10-15 days of receiving the UCAS application, we receive the application usually within 48 hours of the the student submitting.

This is a particularly busy time for the admissions office so please accept our apologies if further time has elapsed, we will be in touch as soon as we can!

If you have any further questions regarding your application please do not hesitate to contact the admissions office via email.

Lancaster University
Reply 305
Hi, I wish to apply for English literature, but I also have a keen interest in creative writing and History - would it be possible to apply for multiple courses and if so would my chances of being accepted be ruined by that fact that my personal statement would link Literature to both History and creative writing?

I currently have AS levels of AAABB (English lit, biology, maths, chemistry, critical thinking) and I am predicted A*A*A (English lit, maths, biology)

Thank you for creating such a helpful post.
Original post by JenGreo
Hi, I wish to apply for English literature, but I also have a keen interest in creative writing and History - would it be possible to apply for multiple courses and if so would my chances of being accepted be ruined by that fact that my personal statement would link Literature to both History and creative writing?

I currently have AS levels of AAABB (English lit, biology, maths, chemistry, critical thinking) and I am predicted A*A*A (English lit, maths, biology)

Thank you for creating such a helpful post.

Hello,

It is certainly possible to apply for multiple courses or joint honours courses. You would not be penalised for having elaborated on more than one subject in your personal statement; although a number of students do send additional supporting information by email that they were unable to include in their personal statement.

Have you taken a look at our English Literature and History and English Literature with Creative Writing joint honours courses? These courses both combine two of your passions, you would also be able to take the third subject as a minor via the Lancaster Flexible Study system.

Alternatively you are more than welcome to apply for multiple single subject courses via UCAS and then decide once you being your studies at Lancaster whether you wish to take up a further subject of study.

Lancaster University
How long should I expect to wait until I hear a reply from Lancaster? I applied a week ago but have not had any acknowledgement or reply to the offer. I applied to the ITMB course.

Thanks
Do you give significantly more weighting to A2 predictions than to AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I've applied for Beng Chemical Engineering to Lancaster two and a half weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for a response. I was just wondering if it is normal to wait that long when applying for that course in your uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,I'm looking to study Economics next year and achieved ABB in my AS levels, hoping to raise one of the B's to an A, I wanted to find out whether you give many offer's to people with ABB at AS level?

Thank you,
Matthew
Original post by jayeshsondhi
How long should I expect to wait until I hear a reply from Lancaster? I applied a week ago but have not had any acknowledgement or reply to the offer. I applied to the ITMB course.

Thanks

Hello,

Typically we aim to have a decision with applicants within 10-15 working days of receiving an application (typically 2-3 days after it is submitted to UCAS). You should have received an email confirming receipt of you application, this would be sent to the email address you registered via UCAS. It is always worth checking your junk or spam folders in case it has been placed there.

Lancaster University
Do you give significantly more weighting to A2 predictions than to AS grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

All applications are reviewed taking into account the personal statement, academic reference, prior qualifications and future predictions. Both A2 predictions and AS grades are taken into account. If for some reason AS performance had been lower than expected we would look for some form of explanation in the personal statement or reference. Assuming you have a strong personal statement, supportive academic reference and predicted grades in the region of those that we ask for there is a very good chance of an initial offer.

Lancaster University
Original post by Lightningbladez
Hello, I've applied for Beng Chemical Engineering to Lancaster two and a half weeks ago, and I'm still waiting for a response. I was just wondering if it is normal to wait that long when applying for that course in your uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

Typically we aim to have a decision with applicants within 10-15 working days of receiving an application (usually applications are received within 2-3 days of them being submitted).

Lancaster University
Original post by mattsexams
Hi,I'm looking to study Economics next year and achieved ABB in my AS levels, hoping to raise one of the B's to an A, I wanted to find out whether you give many offer's to people with ABB at AS level?

Thank you,
Matthew

Hello Matthew,

Assuming you meet the GCSE criteria for the course (B in Maths and English Language) we would welcome an application from you. Assuming you have a strong personal statement, supportive academic reference and predicted grades in the region of those that we ask there is a very good chance of an initial offer being made.

Lancaster University
Hello,

Does the 10-15 working days apply for modern languages? I applied on the 8th October and I haven't heard anything since I got the acknowledgement email the following morning.

Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EspDe97
Hello,

Does the 10-15 working days apply for modern languages? I applied on the 8th October and I haven't heard anything since I got the acknowledgement email the following morning.

Thank you

Hello,

Yes, all courses apart from Medicine should be contacted with a decision or interview invite within the 10-15 working day time frame. Typically we receive an application within 2-3 days of initial submission.

It is quite a busy time for the admissions office but we will be in touch regarding your application as soon as we can!

Lancaster University
Reply 317
Hi,

Considering that Lancaster has received a very considerable increase in applications for Medicine this year, would the Admissions team look to invite more people to interview or are they trying to keep to the "invite 200 to interview" norm?
Hi,

I wanted to ask when should we start to expect medicine interviews to be given out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RagaZ
Hi,

Considering that Lancaster has received a very considerable increase in applications for Medicine this year, would the Admissions team look to invite more people to interview or are they trying to keep to the "invite 200 to interview" norm?

Hello,

The same number of interviews will take place this year as the number of study places available has remained the same. If you wish to discuss this further with the Medical School please feel free to contact them directly via email or via telephone on 01524 594547.

Lancaster University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending