The Student Room Group

Adult Access course in Science.

Helo all, wondered if there is currently anyone at Canterbury, Glasgow or Bangor university who comeplted an Access course last year in order to qualify for uni.....bit puzzled about the requirements on there web pages.....or lack of info should i say?...thanks in advance. :smile:
ps, i am applying to do Adult Nursing or Radiotherapy :smile:
Original post by tbrehaut
Helo all, wondered if there is currently anyone at Canterbury, Glasgow or Bangor university who comeplted an Access course last year in order to qualify for uni.....bit puzzled about the requirements on there web pages.....or lack of info should i say?...thanks in advance. :smile:
ps, i am applying to do Adult Nursing or Radiotherapy :smile:

Hi, I am at Glasgow Uni studying Chemistry and I completed the access to science course this year. - I am not sure if it will be different for the course you are applying to but for Glasgow I had to make sure I got 3 B's or above to study Chemistry - I got 4 A's from the access course so I was fine. I would imagine that the entry requirements coming from all the access courses will roughly be the same. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Eastendgirl
Hi, I am at Glasgow Uni studying Chemistry and I completed the access to science course this year. - I am not sure if it will be different for the course you are applying to but for Glasgow I had to make sure I got 3 B's or above to study Chemistry - I got 4 A's from the access course so I was fine. I would imagine that the entry requirements coming from all the access courses will roughly be the same. :smile:

This may be a stupid question but how come you got graded A, B etc? my access course grades our modules at pass, merit or distinction?

Also how are you finding chemistry? I am applying for chemistry and haven't managed to find another access science student doing the same yet. I am worried I will be behind all the A* alevel 18 year olds even though I believe I am capable and have a massive interest in the subject. Guess it's just anxieties!
Original post by Laur_pea
This may be a stupid question but how come you got graded A, B etc? my access course grades our modules at pass, merit or distinction?

Also how are you finding chemistry? I am applying for chemistry and haven't managed to find another access science student doing the same yet. I am worried I will be behind all the A* alevel 18 year olds even though I believe I am capable and have a massive interest in the subject. Guess it's just anxieties!

Hey,

Well the entry requirements for Glasgow Uni for anyone coming from an access course required them to achieve a grade B or above for the access subjects, the college I was at didnt use "merit", distinction, etc, they graded you at the end of the year based on all of your test marks, attendance, input, conduct, etc etc, and they informed the uni of our grades.

I know what you mean and have defo had all the same worries. There is maybe 4-5 other people in my class who have done the access course for entry to chemistry and when your in a lecture theatre of 300 you are very outnumbered! A lot of the 17/18 year olds, have done advanced highers to get into the course, and obv the English students have completed their ALevels, so first year chemistry is mostly revision for all of them and they find it very easy. My own advice would be to find a summer school before you start. I went to strathclyde Uni's summer school for 6 weeks in the summer and it was the best thing I ever did. It really did help prepare me for it. Everything so far I've been taught at uni has been covered at summer school so I have an understanding of it and I don't feel like I'm behind. I'm really enjoying it, and it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would being in a class where 90% of students are only 18 and I'm 29, you start to realise that you have a big advantage of life experience and overhearing their dramas and worries only makes me glad I'm not 18 again. :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Eastendgirl
Hey,

Well the entry requirements for Glasgow Uni for anyone coming from an access course required them to achieve a grade B or above for the access subjects, the college I was at didnt use "merit", distinction, etc, they graded you at the end of the year based on all of your test marks, attendance, input, conduct, etc etc, and they informed the uni of our grades.

I know what you mean and have defo had all the same worries. There is maybe 4-5 other people in my class who have done the access course for entry to chemistry and when your in a lecture theatre of 300 you are very outnumbered! A lot of the 17/18 year olds, have done advanced highers to get into the course, and obv the English students have completed their ALevels, so first year chemistry is mostly revision for all of them and they find it very easy. My own advice would be to find a summer school before you start. I went to strathclyde Uni's summer school for 6 weeks in the summer and it was the best thing I ever did. It really did help prepare me for it. Everything so far I've been taught at uni has been covered at summer school so I have an understanding of it and I don't feel like I'm behind. I'm really enjoying it, and it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would being in a class where 90% of students are only 18 and I'm 29, you start to realise that you have a big advantage of life experience and overhearing their dramas and worries only makes me glad I'm not 18 again. :wink:

Thankyou so much for the advice! Really appreciate it as I feel like I'm the only person in the world doing and access course to get onto chemistry! I will definitely look at summer schools, how did you find out about it? There is nothing worse than feeling out of your depth on the first day so sounds like a brilliant idea. Do you have any plans as to what you might go into when you finish? Masters? Industry? Thanks again
Reply 5
I'm also applying for chemistry for 2015 entry, probably Reading, Surrey & Kingston. TBH I'm only tacking Kingston on as a 'safety' choice as they aren't looking for such high grades. I'm on the 2nd year of the access course at the moment, with 15 credits at distinction (psychology) & 15 at merit (physics) from last year, quietly confident that I can pull off all distinctions in chemistry & biology this year. Personally I have found the entry requirements on the websites next to useless but if you call the admissions departments they are usually really helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by lovali
I'm also applying for chemistry for 2015 entry, probably Reading, Surrey & Kingston. TBH I'm only tacking Kingston on as a 'safety' choice as they aren't looking for such high grades. I'm on the 2nd year of the access course at the moment, with 15 credits at distinction (psychology) & 15 at merit (physics) from last year, quietly confident that I can pull off all distinctions in chemistry & biology this year. Personally I have found the entry requirements on the websites next to useless but if you call the admissions departments they are usually really helpful.

Hi lovali

Yes I agree about the website entry requirements. I found UCAS actually quite helpful for those because the unis seem to go into more detail about requirements on there. You just have to click on the tab for 'other qualifications'.
My access course is one year, are you doing yours part time?
Mine didn't contain a psychology module just 2 in physics and the rest split between chem and bio. I too am hoping for distinctions (fingers crossed) I also think it's alot down to your personal statement as a mature student.

Are you using all your 5 uni choices or just those 3?

Nice to meet someone else who is in the same boat :-) :smile:
Reply 7
I'm part time over 2 years so I'm on the old access, it's such a mess this year being in mixed classes with lots I confusion about which students should be graded in the old & new ways! Tbh I only chose psychology cos they didn't offer maths above GCSE level (already got a B in high school) and I really didn't want to do law or sociology.

I will be using all 5 choices, at Surrey & Reading I'll be applying for 2 different chemistry choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending