The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haiderraider
Hi guys, I have just done the 2012 paper. Which I have found by far, to be the most difficult.

The numerical reasoning questions were my ruin on the paper. I have used the mark schemes and understood where I have gone wrong on some questions.

Nonetheless, I can't do Q's 2, 12 and 49. The paper is here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/136633-tsa-oxford-2012-section-1.pdf

It's a recurring pattern with me. Question 2 I'm stuck due to misapplication of speed,distance time.

Please can I have help on all three, because if I can clear the concept behind them, I will unlock a lot of progress for myself.

Look forward to your reply,

You can add both speeds: 32km/h
t= x/v => t=8km / 32km/h =0,25 h= 15 min= A
Is there a quicker way of doing questions like Q48 2010??
Original post by maximator
You can add both speeds: 32km/h
t= x/v => t=8km / 32km/h =0,25 h= 15 min= A

Thank you!!

This might sound like me being a bit pushy! But is it possible for you to help me out on 12, 14, 43 and 49. I'm fully clueless on them.

Regards
Original post by MrBowcat
Is there a quicker way of doing questions like Q48 2010??

Well, it doesnt really take long seeing as the answer is B (12:45) - probably best just to write all the journeys+waiting times out until they match up.
Reply 344
Would someone be able to explain how to do question 6 on the 2013 paper please? I don't understand what it means when it says 'the two digits that did not form part of the date'. Surely all digits form part of the date? Or am I just being stupid
Reply 345
Original post by 9876cd
Would someone be able to explain how to do question 6 on the 2013 paper please? I don't understand what it means when it says 'the two digits that did not form part of the date'. Surely all digits form part of the date? Or am I just being stupid

If the date is 26 05 1974, there are two digits missing:

These digits are his age.
Q12 on 2012 seems like it is a question possibly involving algebra. Does anyone have an idea how to approach it.

I did 230-45 in order to get rid of all those students who did neither maths nor economics.
Original post by haiderraider
Thank you!!

This might sound like me being a bit pushy! But is it possible for you to help me out on 12, 14, 43 and 49. I'm fully clueless on them.

Regards

Q12: add math and economic components, that gives 216
if you subtract 45 from 230= 185 (people with maths or economic component or both)
then you calculate 216-185 that leaves you with the people having math and economic

Q14: you have to look for similarities: it is field B
here are some of the circles triangles and some are missing, but is the closest one to the field above

Q43: you have to look at the biggest amount of time between sunrise-moonst and sunset-moonrise.
As a result you only have to subtract the sunset times from the moonrise times (moonset and sunrise never overlap)
=> D Leith has the longest time

Q49: 100W=0,075$ =>20W=0,015$

0,4$+0,075$x=10$+0,015$x
=>0,06$x=9,6$ x=160
160/20=80weeks= C
Reply 348
Original post by hoollsss
Does anyone know exactly how much paper we get for the essay, because there's a limit isn't there?

You'll get 2 papers and no more than that.
It's simply enough: You will probably fill around 1.5, if you take 5 minutes to think and plan.
Hi can someone help me with qn 19,30,36 and 48 for 2012?
Reply 350
Original post by amyrah
Thanks! I feel so relieved, well sort of..I've still gotta sit the exam! How are you going about structuring it ?

There's a writing task commentary on the TSA website which might help you with section 2. It says the essay will be judged on the quality of what you write and how you use what you know.

In terms of structure, I haven't thought about it exactly but if you look at the questions then it's clear that they want you to give a definite stance and carry it through most of your essay. Put forward counter-arguments but I'd make sure that you don't appear to switch opinion or sit on the fence.

I'm probably going to practice the essay tonight or tomorrow now that I've done all the MCQ apart from 2007. Then I might have more of an idea on my structure. The MCQ is comparatively far more important then the essay section. If they wanted to truly test your essay skills and knowledge then they would ask for some work to be submitted to get a fairer reflection. All they are doing is testing how you think whilst making sure you can write coherently and cohesively. No doubt it's important to write a half decent essay but it's not going to make a huge difference either way.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/99501-tsa_writing_task_-_commentary.pdf
Original post by Askaud
There's a writing task commentary on the TSA website which might help you with section 2. It says the essay will be judged on the quality of what you write and how you use what you know.

In terms of structure, I haven't thought about it exactly but if you look at the questions then it's clear that they want you to give a definite stance and carry it through most of your essay. Put forward counter-arguments but I'd make sure that you don't appear to switch opinion or sit on the fence.

I'm probably going to practice the essay tonight or tomorrow now that I've done all the MCQ apart from 2007. Then I might have more of an idea on my structure. The MCQ is comparatively far more important then the essay section. If they wanted to truly test your essay skills and knowledge then they would ask for some work to be submitted to get a fairer reflection. All they are doing is testing how you think whilst making sure you can write coherently and cohesively. No doubt it's important to write a half decent essay but it's not going to make a huge difference either way.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/99501-tsa_writing_task_-_commentary.pdf

Was there ever consensus over the answers for the 2007 paper?
Reply 352
Original post by PaulKrugman
Was there ever consensus over the answers for the 2007 paper?

It was discussed by a couple of people around page 11/12/13 and there was agreement on a lot of the answers. I lost interest to track their discussions so I'm not sure if there was ever full agreement.
I also can't find the answers anywhere in the internet world:tongue:
Reply 353
Original post by Askaud
It was discussed by a couple of people around page 11/12/13 and there was agreement on a lot of the answers. I lost interest to track their discussions so I'm not sure if there was ever full agreement.
I also can't find the answers anywhere in the internet world:tongue:

I was involved in the discussions. We haven't actually agreed on any solutions for around 5 questions. The others were pretty obvious.
just done an essay, don't hate, did it in 25 minutes

some constructive feedback would be grand

I'll just paste it here:
Question was from 2009 "What changes in society will follow from increased life expectancy?"

Spoiler

Reply 355
What methods do people approach the TSA with?
I find it really hard to complete all the questions in the time limit.

Do you all do it chronologically?
Original post by flexee
What methods do people approach the TSA with?
I find it really hard to complete all the questions in the time limit.

Do you all do it chronologically?

I do all the reading ones first, then go back through and do all the maths and numerical based ones, not sure how much it speeds me up though.
Original post by samthemiller
just done an essay, don't hate, did it in 25 minutes

some constructive feedback would be grand

I'll just paste it here:
Question was from 2009 "What changes in society will follow from increased life expectancy?"

Spoiler

I though it was quite a good, well balanced answer. However, you should really try and define key terms at the start - also, I feel like you may have jumped the gun as increased life expectancy does not always mean an increased population - there are other factors.
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi can someone help me with qn 19,30,36 and 48 for 2012?

30)

1/16 * 12,000 = 750ml
1/25 * 12,000 = 480ml

750ml + 480ml = 1230ml which is B.
Reply 359
Original post by samthemiller
I do all the reading ones first, then go back through and do all the maths and numerical based ones, not sure how much it speeds me up though.

I just do it chronologically because it won't save me lot of time to do the two types separately.
There will be the risk to miss some questions or make a mistake with the answer sheet which would mess up all answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending