The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Applied for another recruitment role. They were very happy with me initially, they said they will pass my CV on to the employer and I will find out by the end of today whether they want an interview with me.
Original post by King Leonidas
I thought being an estate agent is an office based job in one location? Surely you don't need to have access to a car for that....

These are seriously tough times though, the job market is heavily saturated and it's not helping that there are so many graduates these days. I am literally happy that employees are calling me back for interviews, I'll take that.

If it's property management you will need a driving license. Some roles at Foxtons don't require a driving license though. I thought they chucked my CV in the bin so at least they noticed I was there. :smile:

Yeah I'm getting called back for interviews, I think you have to get used to the whole applications. If you're doing about 15 applications a week you should be getting about 2+ interviews for each role.
Original post by jam277
Applied for another recruitment role. They were very happy with me initially, they said they will pass my CV on to the employer and I will find out by the end of today whether they want an interview with me.

If it's property management you will need a driving license. Some roles at Foxtons don't require a driving license though. I thought they chucked my CV in the bin so at least they noticed I was there. :smile:

Yeah I'm getting called back for interviews, I think you have to get used to the whole applications. If you're doing about 15 applications a week you should be getting about 2+ interviews for each role.

Ahh ok, I got a call from Connells Estates Agents a few days ago to book me in for an interview, hopefully I don't get turned down because I don't have a car:frown: Yes you're right, acknowledgement is better than no closure. Nevertheless, I hate it when I check my emails and I see 'I'm sorry but unfortunately...' it's incredibly disheartening haha.

Good luck with the recruitment role, let us know how you get on:smile:
Got a part time sales job that pays around £8.50/hour for Christmas and I also have an interview early november for a fulltime grad job.

I could possibly get a job offer from the Graduate job I interviewed with ~3 weeks ago (the one I ranted about) The middle man said the feedback was positive and its like a 60% chance they will offer me a job but Im not holding my breath since I know recruitment consultants are notorious for being liars.

Things are def picking up, Keep at it guys, treat looking for a job like a full time job and soon you will get one.

Good luck
Original post by imabigboynow
Got a part time sales job that pays around £8.50/hour for Christmas and I also have an interview early november for a fulltime grad job.

I could possibly get a job offer from the Graduate job I interviewed with ~3 weeks ago (the one I ranted about) The middle man said the feedback was positive and its like a 60% chance they will offer me a job but Im not holding my breath since I know recruitment consultants are notorious for being liars.

Things are def picking up, Keep at it guys, treat looking for a job like a full time job and soon you will get one.

Good luck

Yeah, I need to do something like that too.

Tbh if you've spent 3 weeks waiting for a job offer likely hood is that you haven't got it. Also 60% isn't something I'll hold my breath on. You are going a similar route to me though, so I wanna talk about this some more.

But yes keeping the faith. May look into brokering as well and estate agency.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah, I need to do something like that too.

Tbh if you've spent 3 weeks waiting for a job offer likely hood is that you haven't got it. Also 60% isn't something I'll hold my breath on. You are going a similar route to me though, so I wanna talk about this some more.

But yes keeping the faith. May look into brokering as well and estate agency.

Lol 2 hours I said this they finally said I was unsuccessful but The middle man is putting me foward for another Interview with a similar role. I have a phone interview with the company tomorrow.
Original post by imabigboynow
Lol 2 hours I said this they finally said I was unsuccessful but The middle man is putting me foward for another Interview with a similar role. I have a phone interview with the company tomorrow.

That's good man. I'm hoping to get into recruitment consultancy.

I'm still in the stage of the employers phoning me up and having a talk, I had a phone interview and messed it up which takes the cake. Only phone interview I've had so far. I have improved in talking on the phone though. Funnily enough my only actual phone interview that I got came off the back of me being absolutely terrible on the phone...

I do have the answers to the questions they throw at me now though so I guess I just have to be more proactive about everything.
Ahh ok, I got a call from Connells Estates Agents a few days ago to book me in for an interview, hopefully I don't get turned down because I don't have a car:frown: Yes you're right, acknowledgement is better than no closure. Nevertheless, I hate it when I check my emails and I see 'I'm sorry but unfortunately...' it's incredibly disheartening haha.

Good luck with the recruitment role, let us know how you get on:smile:

That's good man. Learning the theory is so bloody tedious. Has to be done I guess. Think I'll spend the next week or so doing this.
(edited 9 years ago)
so so sick of job searching
Original post by _icecream
so so sick of job searching

How long have you been properly job searching?
Original post by jam277

3 months!
Original post by _icecream
3 months!

I'm on 2 months. Getting so many phone calls off companies but they all go nowhere. They say they'll pass on my CV to the higher ups(initially they say that I have a good CV) and then the employer doesn't get back to me. :rolleyes:

It's frustrating if I'm being honest. I just want a job for petes sake.

What job are you searching for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Hey pal, just wondering whether you could give me some advice:smile:

I recently applied for a supoort position in a I.T company however, due to lack of experience they said I did not get the job.

Nevertheless, the recruitment consultant phoned me today and said he liked me in the interview. He says that the company are willing to offer me an internship to develop the necessary I.T skills (building computers, networking etc) however, I may need to contribute to the costs of training. He has booked me in for an appointment on Monday to talk to him and discuss the internship. I did ask him over the phone whether I could work for the company once I was qualified and he said if there are vacancies then yes, or they would locate me somewhere else.

The last thing I want to do it pay for the training and not get a job, how should I deal with talking to him about this on Monday? Also would be it be inappropriate if I asked him if I could pay for the training once I get a job?

I recently applied for a supoort position in a I.T company however, due to lack of experience they said I did not get the job.

Nevertheless, the recruitment consultant phoned me today and said he liked me in the interview. He says that the company are willing to offer me an internship to develop the necessary I.T skills (building computers, networking etc) however, I may need to contribute to the costs of training. He has booked me in for an appointment on Monday to talk to him and discuss the internship. I did ask him over the phone whether I could work for the company once I was qualified and he said if there are vacancies then yes, or they would locate me somewhere else.

The last thing I want to do it pay for the training and not get a job, how should I deal with talking to him about this on Monday? Also would be it be inappropriate if I asked him if I could pay for the training once I get a job?

Is this Just IT btw? I know they do a scheme like that.

I think they do things such as allowing you to pay for the training in installments. Also I think it's a good idea to look at figures, see how many people on that training scheme actually get a job e.g. Ask them about such figures. How much is the costs of the training?
Original post by jam277
I'm on 2 months. Getting so many phone calls off companies but they all go nowhere. They say they'll pass on my CV to the higher ups(initially they say that I have a good CV) and then the employer doesn't get back to me. :rolleyes:

It's frustrating if I'm being honest. I just want a job for petes sake.

What job are you searching for?

Currently looking for Admin roles but they mentioned that I wasn't successful because I lacked experience. That's why I wish I did an apprenticeship straight after completing my A-levels.
Original post by jam277
Is this Just IT btw? I know they do a scheme like that.

I think they do things such as allowing you to pay for the training in installments. Also I think it's a good idea to look at figures, see how many people on that training scheme actually get a job e.g. Ask them about such figures. How much is the costs of the training?

Yes it's just IT

He said that they might able to get it partially funded (50%) so I would end up paying around £800-1000. However, I don't want to folk out money on training, spend time training and then not get a job at the end of it. Good idea. I will ask him about the figures of employment. The guys seems pretty helpful, hopefully he can ease my worries on Monday:dontknow:
Yes it's just IT

He said that they might able to get it partially funded (50%) so I would end up paying around £800-1000. However, I don't want to folk out money on training, spend time training and then not get a job at the end of it. Good idea. I will ask him about the figures of employment. The guys seems pretty helpful, hopefully he can ease my worries on Monday:dontknow:

I remember that having a very good employment rate and it generally has good reviews online.

However best to ask this guy questions about it. It's annoying how much effort you have to put in getting a job. Reality hits graduates pretty hard. Thing is if I had been working this hard to get a job a few months ago I would be in one for sure.

Just to totally butt in here, but check how long the training would be for and if you'll get paid during it. :h:
Original post by jam277
I remember that having a very good employment rate and it generally has good reviews online.

However best to ask this guy questions about it. It's annoying how much effort you have to put in getting a job. Reality hits graduates pretty hard. Thing is if I had been working this hard to get a job a few months ago I would be in one for sure.

It's tough out there man, we'll find something:smile:

Original post by lyrical_lie
Just to totally butt in here, but check how long the training would be for and if you'll get paid during it. :h:

I think it's 7-12 weeks and I think I'd have to pay for the training (not get paid).

So as you can imagine I'm rather dubious, especially with regards to whether it'll secure me a decent paying job.
It's tough out there man, we'll find something:smile:

I think it's 7-12 weeks and I think I'd have to pay for the training (not get paid).

So as you can imagine I'm rather dubious, especially with regards to whether it'll secure me a decent paying job.

Ah that is a big chunk of time. Better than what I was thinking, like a year or something. Maybe ask if you can speak to someone who's done it in the past?
Just done my civil service assessment centre, didn't go terribly :smile:
Reply 539
Hello! Sorry to whack this in this section (I did start a thread but only got a few responses).
If your a grad can you please fill out my general survey - I'm doing an investigation as part of my professional development to be a Chartered Surveyor so I'll have to do a few of these.

Please see link below:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MGJYQZZ

I've left some space to express yourselves so feel free!!
Alb

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending