The Student Room Group

ThatAuditGuys experience

I promised myself and a few others that I would get around to documenting and sharing my time and experience of audit at the big four.

So here it is.

Going into the role I was both optimistic but had also done plenty of research and spoken to enough people to know that it may not be the most challenging or exciting, having said that I found my first week which involved different training sessions to be interesting thorough but also a little high intensity.

Since then I have experienced college and also client work. The college experience was actually very positive for myself and I have found the ACA course content to be relatively straightforward and well taught. So far the client work has been slightly different to how I expected, it's actually been a lot more interesting than I was led to believe my many people. There is some repetition but if you are interested in understanding the fundamental facts, controls and operations of different businesses then Audit definitely offers that. For me personally the biggest incentive is the big name on the CV and an ACA qualification, ultimately I would love to move into corporate finance and possibly pursue the CFA in the future but for now I'm really enjoying my new job and the different experiences it's allowing me to have.

The best way to approach this thread is probably answering any of your questions which relate to whether such a role is for you or not? What it involves and what to expect?
How hard are the Aca exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Gladiatorsword

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found that the accounting exam for the ACA was relatively tough and requires around 30 hours of study and the assurance exam was pretty simple and only required around of 15 hours of work. I haven't done any of the other exams so far but expect them to get progressively harder.
Original post by ThatAuditGuy

I promised myself and a few others that I would get around to documenting and sharing my time and experience of audit at the big four.

So here it is.

Going into the role I was both optimistic but had also done plenty of research and spoken to enough people to know that it may not be the most challenging or exciting, having said that I found my first week which involved different training sessions to be interesting thorough but also a little high intensity.

Since then I have experienced college and also client work. The college experience was actually very positive for myself and I have found the ACA course content to be relatively straightforward and well taught. So far the client work has been slightly different to how I expected, it's actually been a lot more interesting than I was led to believe my many people. There is some repetition but if you are interested in understanding the fundamental facts, controls and operations of different businesses then Audit definitely offers that. For me personally the biggest incentive is the big name on the CV and an ACA qualification, ultimately I would love to move into corporate finance and possibly pursue the CFA in the future but for now I'm really enjoying my new job and the different experiences it's allowing me to have.

The best way to approach this thread is probably answering any of your questions which relate to whether such a role is for you or not? What it involves and what to expect?

I'm quite interested to see how your opinion changes over time. I myself am 2 years into my training contract and my view has changed a lot over the course of the time I've been here. I started off from a view similar to yours but it is quite different now.

Original post by Gladiatorsword

Posted from TSR Mobile

The ACA exams are different fundamentally from university exams because:

1) All the knowledge you need is spoon fed to you. There is no extracurricular reading needed.

2) All you need to do is pass, anything above that is meaningless.

As such I find them somewhat easier but also harder because there is a lot of material to get through.

But if you put the time in (which you're forced to do in a way as the firm sends you to college) then you probably will pass. Most people do, nothing to get too worried about.
Reply 4
Whats office life like? Is the atmosphere a good environment to work in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending