The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex or Kent?

I've got 2 identical offers for History BA from Kent and Sussex and I'm undecided between the two. Any help?
Reply 1
Look at a range of factors:

modules offered - what are your interests and which matches them best. History degrees can vary hugely from one university to the next depending on the area of interest of the academic staff

student satisfaction

employment statistics

"extras" - year abroad/ work experience etc

the actual university - you are going to spend 3 years there - where would you be happiest

Good luck
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by marple
Look at a range of factors:

modules offered - what are your interests and which matches them best. History degrees can vary hugely from one university to the next depending on the area of interest of the academic staff

student satisfaction

employment statistics

"extras" - year abroad/ work experience etc

the actual university - you are going to spend 3 years there - where would you be happiest

Good luck

In terms of the course, I'd happily study at both. In terms of facilities, Kent trumps Sussex on sport & has its own nightclub, but Canterbury doesn't seem like the most exciting place to live compared to Brighton
Original post by Londoner97
In terms of the course, I'd happily study at both. In terms of facilities, Kent trumps Sussex on sport & has its own nightclub, but Canterbury doesn't seem like the most exciting place to live compared to Brighton

I guess it depends what you want away from study then, if you'd be happy with both courses.

What sort of place are you used to living in? With either of Canterbury or Brighton be like that place or a change? Will either place be 'worse' than you're used to?

Think carefully about the drawn of a nightclub on campus - is that actually a big selling point? Firstly is it any good? Or will it limit options for nights out (perhaps it exists because the other local offerings are rubbish).

With sports facilities - how much will you use them? What is either like for the facilities you'd specifically use? What are the local community offerings? Any better in Brighton?

Also, factor in cost of getting two and from each uni - you'll want to go home some times, visit friends, or have visitors, which is easier to get to?
If you havn't already done so, read the course description carefully including all the individual unit descriptions for all 3 years of the course at each Uni. They won't be the same. Go to an Open Day. No-one else can tell you which one to choose - because they will choose on the basis of their likes and needs, not yours.
Original post by Londoner97

Live in Canterbuy, nightlife is still very decent but not as good as brighton. However its still a really nice place to live

Quick Reply

Latest