The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Failed :frown: 3 majors, 5 minors. First time at least. 2 of the majors were at the same time :P Basically wen ta route I'd never practised and messed up as a result :/ Ah well, takeaway tonight and hopefully book my next test ASAP. :/
Heya If you are desperate to find earlier appointments. You can subscribe to this website who continuously search for earlier appointment. Like I've literally good mone 13 days apart aha. It's 18 pounds but driving is already cleared my bank account so I thought I'd put the cherry on top :biggrin:
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Failed again! 6th time.

Kind of used to it now! Got 6 minors and 2 majors. One was for turning right into a road when there was a car approaching (I thought it was a mini roundabout Wtf) it wasn't dangerous, the car didn't have to slam it's breaks on but it was still bad. Second was for being in the right hand lane at a junction and going straight ahead instead of right (weird staggered junction where straight ahead was over to the right anyway and I just assumed that was where I was meant to go!).

Had a parallel park as my manoeuvre, completely messed up and had to reverse about 10 feet and go forward to straighten up, managed to get away with a minor for that. Also had an emergency stop which was unusual! I'm fine with those though.

So now, my driving saga has come to an end, at least for the next few months. As I'm starting a new job with a commute and just don't have time for driving lessons. Maybe I'll book some in a while but for now I'm gonna concentrate on other stuff :smile:

Sorry to hear that :frown: Really wanted you to pass!
I'm glad you're not giving up though :console:
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Sorry to hear that :frown: Really wanted you to pass!
I'm glad you're not giving up though :console:

It's just so pathetic, some people pass and they HIT cars yes HIT cars. Like I think your examiner should have some sort of say into whether you pass or not. It's such a corrupt system. I think after your third test they should be more at ease with you. Driving tests are just LUCK.
You can be an awful driver and get lucky and pass. It's such a rubbish way to evaluate who you are as a driver in a pathetic 40 minute session -_-
Original post by madiwadi
It's just so pathetic, some people pass and they HIT cars yes HIT cars. Like I think your examiner should have some sort of say into whether you pass or not. It's such a corrupt system. I think after your third test they should be more at ease with you. Driving tests are just LUCK.
You can be an awful driver and get lucky and pass. It's such a rubbish way to evaluate who you are as a driver in a pathetic 40 minute session -_-

Yeah it's definitely not the best way. In the hour before my test my instructor said my driving was perfect and he couldn't fault anything. Yet in my test I just go to pieces, and act like a crap driver even though I know I'm perfectly capable. What annoyed me most was on my way home I saw about 4 cars doing dangerous manoeuvres and generally driving badly.

I think the best system would be to have lessons and then the instructor evaluate when he thinks you're safe on the roads, I know it's not standardised but neither is a test if you consider all the various routes.
Failed the first time.. I thought a roundabout (that I'd never been on before) had 3 lanes instead of 2 so I just went around the roundabout in the "middle lane" which didn't even exist.. Obviously failed because I could have cut up numerous cars :colondollar: A part from that, I only had 2 minors

Passed second time round with no minors though:biggrin:
Failed again! 6th time.

Kind of used to it now! Got 6 minors and 2 majors. One was for turning right into a road when there was a car approaching (I thought it was a mini roundabout Wtf) it wasn't dangerous, the car didn't have to slam it's breaks on but it was still bad. Second was for being in the right hand lane at a junction and going straight ahead instead of right (weird staggered junction where straight ahead was over to the right anyway and I just assumed that was where I was meant to go!).

Had a parallel park as my manoeuvre, completely messed up and had to reverse about 10 feet and go forward to straighten up, managed to get away with a minor for that. Also had an emergency stop which was unusual! I'm fine with those though.

So now, my driving saga has come to an end, at least for the next few months. As I'm starting a new job with a commute and just don't have time for driving lessons. Maybe I'll book some in a while but for now I'm gonna concentrate on other stuff :smile:

:console:

You'll get there eventually. Keep it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's definitely not the best way. In the hour before my test my instructor said my driving was perfect and he couldn't fault anything. Yet in my test I just go to pieces, and act like a crap driver even though I know I'm perfectly capable. What annoyed me most was on my way home I saw about 4 cars doing dangerous manoeuvres and generally driving badly.

I think the best system would be to have lessons and then the instructor evaluate when he thinks you're safe on the roads, I know it's not standardised but neither is a test if you consider all the various routes.

Yeah its frustrating when you generally know that you can drive. Or like when you fail due to other cars driving badly not your driving. Every test is different maybe they should have a driving simulator or something at least then it would be standardised aha

That is so true! I really wish that was true now because loads of driving tests can depend on other cars around you and not your actual ability. Plus your instructor who has sat with you in a car for ___ lessons can obviously judge your driving better than someone sitting with you for 40 minutes.

They definitely are luck! I just have bad luck with them :frown:
I see so many 'experienced' drivers who are unsafe on the roads and they have passed their test, yet there are loads of learners who are safe drivers but can't prove it to an examiner :argh::banghead:
Reply 3389
Tests are not luck. Only bad drivers say that. Also, other people don't make you fail - your (lack of) reactions and anticipation makes you fail. If you were a good driver you wouldn't need to make such excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Tests are not luck. Only bad drivers say that. Also, other people don't make you fail - your (lack of) reactions and anticipation makes you fail. If you were a good driver you wouldn't need to make such excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh piss off. Nerves in a test can turn even the best driver into a terrible one. Just because you find it easy it doesn't mean you can come on here and start throwing your opinion around.
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry you're far to incompetent. For your information I passed first time with one minor ... so no I'm not making excuses. I just can clearly tell that it's an unfair testing system as many of my friends who are brill drivers.
If we are making assumptions here. You assuming you passed probably think you're a fab driver because you passed but probably cannot drive for shiz :-) x
Reply 3392
I'm sorry you're far to incompetent. For your information I passed first time with one minor ... so no I'm not making excuses. I just can clearly tell that it's an unfair testing system as many of my friends who are brill drivers.
If we are making assumptions here. You assuming you passed probably think you're a fab driver because you passed but probably cannot drive for shiz :-) x

You're actually the one making assumptions. I've never said I'm a brilliant driver - in fact, I've said the opposite several times - but I am good enough to acknowledge my own faults.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
You're actually the one making assumptions. I've never said I'm a brilliant driver - in fact, I've said the opposite several times - but I am good enough to acknowledge my own faults.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay well you made the assumption that you're bad driver if you fail, when that's not the case.
Anyway I was just saying. I did not mean to offend you :tongue: but my comment came across arsey so yeah sorry
Reply 3394
Okay well you made the assumption that you're bad driver if you fail, when that's not the case.
Anyway I was just saying. I did not mean to offend you :tongue: but my comment came across arsey so yeah sorry

Nope, I never said that. I said you're a bad driver if you make silly excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Nope, I never said that. I said you're a bad driver if you make silly excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay fair enough, but you have to admit some of the reasons why people fail are ridiculous and they have the right to make a "silly excuse". Because you or me or anyone in that situation would have done the same thing. I just thought it was a tad uncalled for. But so was what I said so I'm not preaching
Reply 3396
Okay fair enough, but you have to admit some of the reasons why people fail are ridiculous and they have the right to make a "silly excuse". Because you or me or anyone in that situation would have done the same thing. I just thought it was a tad uncalled for. But so was what I said so I'm not preaching

The reasons can seem silly, but i've never seen anyone post anything that actually isn't a good reason that can be explained as such. So many people post they fail and they think it's ridiculous, but more experienced drivers realise it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that is completely true! I failed because someone was speeding and flew down the road in the time it takes to turn an indicator on after it turned off and that car was far enough away to move off when I checked my right wing mirror.
Obviously most of the test is skill as you need driving skills however a lot of it can be down to luck as well as how lenient the examiner is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Juno
The reasons can seem silly, but i've never seen anyone post anything that actually isn't a good reason that can be explained as such. So many people post they fail and they think it's ridiculous, but more experienced drivers realise it isn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes admittedly some of the reasons why people say fail it is like ... yes you should have failed. But I think an awful lot is like due to nerves. And sometimes like when they fail you on roundabout hesitations, that's a thing that you pick up on. Driving tests are really subjective
I failed literally an hour ago because apparently i didnt see the car turning at the roundabout but just as i was about to break the examiner beat me to it so annoying!! Also dont go past the stop line at the traffic lights (obvious i know) :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending