Scroll to see replies

Original post by FlareBlitz96
Anybody else here that hasn't heard from any universities yet :frown:

Meeee :redface:

Me :frown:
Reply 362
I've got an interview for St andrews any idea how to prep ? Don't know where to start!
[QUOTE="Alex_96;51761083"]I've got an interview for St andrews any idea how to prep ? Don't know where to start![/QUOTE

Snap! I'm so happy and apprehensive at the same time! Gonna fly home tomorrow to start practising.
people please read this website : http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/

It has recent ethical cases, many medical related. I quoted this website word by word on one of my MMI stations scored the highest on it.
Reply 365
Original post by star10159

It has recent ethical cases, many medical related. I quoted this website word by word on one of my MMI stations scored the highest on it.

Thank u very much :smile: are u currently studying medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its kinda scary, but from what I've been reading mostly local, pre med and grad students have been getting them this early.
Original post by star10159

Thank you
What are they looking for ? I have never made an important decision before?
perhaps you could ask friends/family relatives who have already been in this process? or ring them up and ask what sort of questions they may ask you just to help you prepare yourself better?
Can someone clarify this for me:

You judge a patient to lack capacity, but they can form sentences and indicate that they want a particular sort of treatment. Their family does not want them to have treatment, and have been named in the patient's directives as able to make decisions for the patient in the event of the patient being unable to do that for themselves. You judge the treatment to be in the patient's best interests. What do you do?
Reply 372
Original post by emmaaa88
Can someone clarify this for me:

You judge a patient to lack capacity, but they can form sentences and indicate that they want a particular sort of treatment. Their family does not want them to have treatment, and have been named in the patient's directives as able to make decisions for the patient in the event of the patient being unable to do that for themselves. You judge the treatment to be in the patient's best interests. What do you do?

Essentially the first sentence is saying you don't believe the patient is competent to make a decision for themselves. When looking at autonomy, a patient must always have the capacity to make a decision for themselves and it must be voluntary.

The bit about them forming sentences indicating a particular treatment, assuming they aren't competent, is negligible. Because they aren't competent but can form sentences they may choose someone who they give authority to when it comes to choosing their treatment plan and evidently they choose their family member(s). But the family doesn't want them to have the treatment.

Finally you believe the treatment is the best option for the patient with your medical knowledge.

What do you do?

It's a tricky one but I imagine one option would be to sit down with the family and go into detail about any pros and cons of not giving them the treatment and then any pros and cons of giving them the treatment and finally saying why you, as a doctor, believe the treatment should be given.
Original post by MLeach
Essentially the first sentence is saying you don't believe the patient is competent to make a decision for themselves. When looking at autonomy, a patient must always have the capacity to make a decision for themselves and it must be voluntary.

The bit about them forming sentences indicating a particular treatment, assuming they aren't competent, is negligible. Because they aren't competent but can form sentences they may choose someone who they give authority to when it comes to choosing their treatment plan and evidently they choose their family member(s). But the family doesn't want them to have the treatment.

Finally you believe the treatment is the best option for the patient with your medical knowledge.

What do you do?

It's a tricky one but I imagine one option would be to sit down with the family and go into detail about any pros and cons of not giving them the treatment and then any pros and cons of giving them the treatment and finally saying why you, as a doctor, believe the treatment should be given.

Great stuff, thanks a lot. Talking things through with the family is definitely important.

Do you have any thoughts on what to do if the family remain unconvinced? I'm a bit torn - do you treat it as with if you feel a parent makes the wrong choice for their child, and try and get a court order for treatment? Or given that the patient has given their permission for their family to make decisions for them, do you treat it as the same as when an individual patient refuses treatment for themselves, and you are then forced to accept their decision?
Original post by emmaaa88
Great stuff, thanks a lot. Talking things through with the family is definitely important.

Do you have any thoughts on what to do if the family remain unconvinced? I'm a bit torn - do you treat it as with if you feel a parent makes the wrong choice for their child, and try and get a court order for treatment? Or given that the patient has given their permission for their family to make decisions for them, do you treat it as the same as when an individual patient refuses treatment for themselves, and you are then forced to accept their decision?

I'm pretty sure that if giving the treatment is in the best interests of the patient then although the relatives can help you in making a decision, they do not have authority on the patient. The final decision lies with you.
Original post by TheProblematique
I'm pretty sure that if giving the treatment is in the best interests of the patient then although the relatives can help you in making a decision, they do not have authority on the patient. The final decision lies with you.

Actually I think this only applies in an emergency or in a situation where the treatment will save the patient's life.
Reply 376
Original post by TheProblematique

I don't think so. As JenniB22 said.
Original post by JenniB22
Actually I think this only applies in an emergency or in a situation where the treatment will save the patient's life.

Original post by MLeach
I don't think so. As JenniB22 said.

Ah I see thanks :smile: I think I hadn't read the first post properly because I didn't realise the patient had basically given 'lasting power of attorney' to the relatives.
Reply 378
Anyone have any advice for MMIs such as topics and prep? thanks:smile:
Original post by NsT3N12
Thank u very much :smile: are u currently studying medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an unconditional offer but on gap year :smile: I deferred entry due to personal reasons. Its St Georges Uni of london of youre going to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending