The Student Room Group

Dentistry in the army or RAF

I'm currently a dental student in an English University and if I am offered a bursary by the army they will pay my university fees and I would work for them afterwards. Does anyone have any experience working as a dentist in the army and RAF or have any insight into which would be better?
Reply 1
Original post by Lishyy
I'm currently a dental student in an English University and if I am offered a bursary by the army they will pay my university fees and I would work for them afterwards. Does anyone have any experience working as a dentist in the army and RAF or have any insight into which would be better?

Lishy, sorry can't help you directly and to the very best of my knowledge, I'm not aware of any serving personnel on here who have dental experience other than being on the receiving end.

I was always thoroughly impressed with the professionalism and care of my RAF dentists. They always went out of their way to explain everything - in the couple of years before my retirement, the guy I usually saw, was proactive in getting my mouth in tip top condition including offering a bit of cosmetic work. That was excellent service!

Other than comparing the dental officer role on both RAF and Army career sites, I can only suggest that you contact the Defence Dental Services at Whittington Barracks near Lichfield with some specific questions such as locations for your first tour, career progression etc. Assuming the actual dental work will be identical, then it comes down to which service culture you'd prefer.

It may also be worth asking serving personnel on here if they can ask their unit dentists what they think about the lifestyle - I'm sure they would be delighted to offer an opinion if they knew it was for a potential recruit!

Hope that helps, sorry can't be more specific. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ikaruss
Lishy, sorry can't help you directly and to the very best of my knowledge, I'm not aware of any serving personnel on here who have dental experience other than being on the receiving end.

I was always thoroughly impressed with the professionalism and care of my RAF dentists. They always went out of their way to explain everything - in the couple of years before my retirement, the guy I usually saw, was proactive in getting my mouth in tip top condition including offering a bit of cosmetic work. That was excellent service!

Other than comparing the dental officer role on both RAF and Army career sites, I can only suggest that you contact the Defence Dental Services at Whittington Barracks near Lichfield with some specific questions such as locations for your first tour, career progression etc. Assuming the actual dental work will be identical, then it comes down to which service culture you'd prefer.

It may also be worth asking serving personnel on here if they can ask their unit dentists what they think about the lifestyle - I'm sure they would be delighted to offer an opinion if they knew it was for a potential recruit!

Hope that helps, sorry can't be more specific. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for your help I'll do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Essentially it boils down to whether you want to wear a blue or a green uniform. The job will be pretty much identical.
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
Essentially it boils down to whether you want to wear a blue or a green uniform. The job will be pretty much identical.

Are you in either?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lishyy
Are you in either?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to be in the army.

Quick Reply

Latest