The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How is life like for a mature student at Durham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
@addictivemaiden, i still have all my notes, research etc from my biomedical science foundation, your more than welcome to have a peep at them if you get stuck
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by kev watson
@addictivemaiden, i still have all my notes, research etc from my biomedical science foundation, your more than welcome to have a peep at them if you get stuck

I am the one taking bio :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by NetPhantom
I am the one taking bio :biggrin:

oops,
sorry, the notes are yours if you need them
@kevwatson,thanks for offer of notes very sweet butam doing criminology :-) and thanks am sure age wont be an issue just nervous cos I am not most confident of people and being with bunch of people and trying to make friends scares me lol
Reply 84
Hi all, I'm 25.. well I will be 26 next month but I will be studying Medicine with foundation. No idea if anyone else is on my course yet, I know they only take a few people a year. Congrats to everyone for getting in :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Bandanner
Hi all, I'm 25.. well I will be 26 next month but I will be studying Medicine with foundation. No idea if anyone else is on my course yet, I know they only take a few people a year. Congrats to everyone for getting in :smile:

Hey! I'm doing medicine at Durham (not foundation) but I'm 25 as well. You're not alone.
Reply 86
Original post by CdnBrad
Hey! I'm doing medicine at Durham (not foundation) but I'm 25 as well. You're not alone.
That;s good to know, are you just starting this year? There is at least one other person on the medicine foundation course at about our age that I have spoken to now.
Reply 87
Original post by Bandanner
That;s good to know, are you just starting this year? There is at least one other person on the medicine foundation course at about our age that I have spoken to now.

Yup this will be my first year.
Reply 88
Hi All,

Just came across this thread and have mightily enjoyed reading it!
Am 38, and about to start 1st year MPhys Theoretical Physics at Durham!
It's really encouraging to hear your stories and comments; look forward to more!

I chose St Mary's College, as they specifically mentioned on their website about catering for Mature students; it seems that the decision to allow mature undergraduates to have membership of the MCR as well as the (default) membership of the JCR varies by college. Most don't seem to allow it, at least according to their websites.

St Mary's not only allows you to join their MCR, but also talks specifically about understanding the different challenges facing students who might be married or raising children whilst reading for a degree.. music to my ears, as I am relatively newly married and our son is currently 10 weeks old!

I can tell this year's going to be a whole lot of fun :biggrin:
Reply 89
Interested in this thread as I'm a mature student (27) looking to apply to Durham for Psychology in 2013. :biggrin:
So glad i found this thread.
Went up to Durham for the Open day on Saturday the 22nd of September. Although i knew what i was in for. The reality of how young the majority of students are hit home to me. I didn't see another mature student all the time i was there! Being 38 years of age and bald i stuck out like a sore thumb and felt quite alone. Overall it was a wonderful experience, but it did leave me with a few concerns. Finding this thread has allayed those for the large part,
I am wanting to study Philosophy and Politics( dependent upon statement, etcetera. I have good enough grades.)and would like to sample the rest of what University life has to sample . I have a better idea now of what to expect and think that I will definitely put St Cuthberts and St Marys down as my first choice colleges.
So i hope that all of you have fab first year.
Please do keep us informed of how it goes for you. I would be interested to know what happens within the common room hierarchies and at the formals for Mature Students.

Thanks again.

Peter
Kev and I will be keeping the rock society going :smile:

Actually start on Monday, even if it is only freshers. Iam very bored as my wife started at Newcastle last Monday

The whole family has relocated now. Daughter has started her new school and son his new college, fortunately the eldest two kids have already left home.
(edited 11 years ago)
1st year completed. Certainly do not feel old around campus as there are many staff members my age. Two other matures on my course one the same age and one 3 years younger. I rarely visit my college (I have never been to a formal) as I am commuting by car from Newcastle and my college is on the Bailey. I go and support the sports teams (even played for one once when they were short of players) and photograph them, captained the college chess team in a one off fixture. Also shoot sports photography for the uni news paper. 1st year was fine. Wife enjoyed her first year at Newcastle too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by kev watson

@ kev Watson , I am going to study biomed with foundation. How was durham's biomed foundation ? It was manageable or hard?? I am an international student and didn't study science at all. Thanks!!!
Original post by Pont pont
@ kev Watson , I am going to study biomed with foundation. How was durham's biomed foundation ? It was manageable or hard?? I am an international student and didn't study science at all. Thanks!!!

In case Kev is on holiday and cannot reply. Kev did not do his foundation at Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anybody looking at this now, Durham now has a Mature Students Assocation. I'm a 23 year old, working class single Mother and I'm now finding that, because of MATSA (our association,) I'm having the best uni experience possible. So please DO come to Durham, we have members up to around 60 years of age and we're doing massive amounts of work to spread awareness and welcome new members!
I'm thinking of going Durham next year as long as I get an offer. It's the last uni to get back to me but would love to go there. I'll be 22 when I do go.

If you went through the foundation centre how did you find it? Do you think it properly prepared you for your chosen degree? I've been out of education for 4 years by the time I go and I worry about how I will cope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jesse-May
I'm thinking of going Durham next year as long as I get an offer. It's the last uni to get back to me but would love to go there. I'll be 22 when I do go.

If you went through the foundation centre how did you find it? Do you think it properly prepared you for your chosen degree? I've been out of education for 4 years by the time I go and I worry about how I will cope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Jesse-May,

I too will be 22 and going through the foundation centre in September. What are you going to study?
I'm 23 will be 24 and will hopefully be starting philosophy with foundation in September, anyone else in a similar position? Pleased to meet you all btw, was worried about being the only old person starting lol!!
Original post by Wtidbury
I'm 23 will be 24 and will hopefully be starting philosophy with foundation in September, anyone else in a similar position? Pleased to meet you all btw, was worried about being the only old person starting lol!!

Good evening, I'll be 22 when I start. I'm doing History with a foundation year. I simply cannot wait.

Quick Reply

Latest