The Student Room Group

Mature student in dorms

I am hoping to start uni in 2016 however when i do start i will be 26 yrs old . I was wondering should i live in dorms or find my own place to stay ? I think i might feel quite old staying with a bunch of 18 yr olds . Not sure what to do .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does your uni have a Post-Grad center? Sometimes if you're a mature student arrangements can be made to allow you to live with other older students. You might also luck out with the flatmates you end up with, some of us are old folk before our time (proper bedtimes, cleanliness, noise levels etc.).
Reply 2
Im not sure haven't looked checked yet . Thats the thing i want cleanliness and stuff like that it would piss me off see dirty plates in the sink for weeks on end . I'll have a loom at that thanks .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Meant to say "look"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Dannicb
I am hoping to start uni in 2016 however when i do start i will be 26 yrs old . I was wondering should i live in dorms or find my own place to stay ? I think i might feel quite old staying with a bunch of 18 yr olds . Not sure what to do .

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Dorms" are a US concept. In the UK, the equivalent is Halls. You'll usually have your own bedroom (shared is more common in London), occasionally with ensuite bathroom, with a shared living area and kitchen. Many unis have Halls dedicated to mature students, so do your research online before applying if that bothers you.

I certainly wouldn't want to be near some of the undergrad Halls at my place - the "all-nighter" culture even tried the patience of some of the 18/19 year olds!
Original post by Dannicb

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was 26 when I started uni, and was in dorms for the 1st year, and it was fine. There were a couple of other mature students, but even the younger ones were cool with me and me with them.

The only thing I made sure to do was give them a break if things got ridiculously loud when they were drunk, as I remembered doing the same (and worse!) than them at their age! :biggrin:
Some unis do have halls specifically for mature students or can try to place you with any other older applicants if you request it.

Quick Reply

Latest