The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Women's Forum

Hi,
I am currently looking into universities the go to and want to start next year. I have narrowed it down to 2 options Dublin and Staffs.
They are both places I really want to study at for different reasons. At first Staffs was my main choice but when I looked into things I could get involved in, I found a Woman's forum but no Men's forum. Whereas Dublin has a gender equality forum, I myself am female but I don't see why or how there is only a women's forum to me it beats the object of gender equality. I do not consider myself a feminist but a humanist or 'equalitist'. So yeah, basicaly what I want to know is why there isn't either a men's forum or if i did come to staffs is there anything I could do to change that?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi Jess
I'm a Level 6 student at staffs and this is something that I have wondered for a while. I completely agree with there being a Gender Equality Forum, and I think if you did decide to come to staffs getting this set up is definitely something you could look into. If you want I can get you in touch with someone from the women's forum to discuss this topic further. She will probably be a lot more help than me.
Anyway, good luck in deciding :smile:
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by Jess778
Hi,
I am currently looking into universities the go to and want to start next year. I have narrowed it down to 2 options Dublin and Staffs.
They are both places I really want to study at for different reasons. At first Staffs was my main choice but when I looked into things I could get involved in, I found a Woman's forum but no Men's forum. Whereas Dublin has a gender equality forum, I myself am female but I don't see why or how there is only a women's forum to me it beats the object of gender equality. I do not consider myself a feminist but a humanist or 'equalitist'. So yeah, basicaly what I want to know is why there isn't either a men's forum or if i did come to staffs is there anything I could do to change that?

Hi Jess,

I have just contacted the Students Union, ande been informed that The women's Network (used to be Forum) is part of our Liberation Networks. This comprises of Students with Disabilities Network, Multicultural Network, LGBT+ Network and Women's.

These are in place for under-represented groups, and therefore when this was taken to Student Council a while back, it was decided by students that men are not an under-represented group and therefore didn't require a Liberation group.

The Students Union is there to help though, so if you felt you could add more to this, they would be more than willing to listen. All societies are run by students, so if you felt that there was an area where we were missing something, there is help there to enable you to begin a society in equality.

Is there any other queries about Staffs which I could help you with at all?

Phil
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi Jess,

I have just contacted the Students Union, ande been informed that The women's Network (used to be Forum) is part of our Liberation Networks. This comprises of Students with Disabilities Network, Multicultural Network, LGBT+ Network and Women's.

These are in place for under-represented groups, and therefore when this was taken to Student Council a while back, it was decided by students that men are not an under-represented group and therefore didn't require a Liberation group.

The Students Union is there to help though, so if you felt you could add more to this, they would be more than willing to listen. All societies are run by students, so if you felt that there was an area where we were missing something, there is help there to enable you to begin a society in equality.

Is there any other queries about Staffs which I could help you with at all?

Phil

Women under-represented? have you seen how many female officers and union staff members we have?

Like I get concerning disabled groups and LGBT, but is there literally any reason to have a womans group and not a mens?

It's either sexist against men thinking they don't have issues that need to be addressed, or it's sexist against women saying they only they need a space due to them being women.

I knew there wasn't a men's forums, but I'm pretty disgusted by that reasoning.
Reply 4
How are women underrepresented when there's more of them in uni than men now?

Lmao what you a joke.
Reply 5
Original post by TheBBQ
How are women underrepresented when there's more of them in uni than men now?

Lmao what you a joke.

While it may be so that, generally, more women than men pursue higher education, women are still underrepresented in most professional fields -- STEM fields, media, academia generally, politics, business, leadership positions across the board, etc.

Not a joke.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Viceroy
While it may be so that, generally, more women than man pursue higher education, women are still underrepresented in most professional fields -- STEM fields, media, academia generally, politics, business, leadership positions across the board, etc.

Not a joke.

Considering it's been fairly recent that women have overtaken men in university places I'd say it will take time before we see a shift in these areas. As they actually, you know, need time.

If they want to study something else then don't try persuade them to do otherwise, it's their choice. You can't force people into such areas.
Reply 7
Original post by TheBBQ
Considering it's been fairly recent that women have overtaken men in university places I'd say it will take time before we see a shift in these areas. As they actually, you know, need time.

If they want to study something else then don't try persuade them to do otherwise, it's their choice. You can't force people into such areas.

It isn't so simple as women wanting or not wanting to study or enter particular fields. The lack of women in particular fields is a complex sociological issue. Here's one NY Times article that discusses why there are still so few women in science fields:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Original post by Viceroy
While it may be so that, generally, more women than men pursue higher education, women are still underrepresented in most professional fields -- STEM fields, media, academia generally, politics, business, leadership positions across the board, etc.

Not a joke.

There's also male under-representation in a large number of jobs, there's also evidence to suggest that having more men in high stress jobs can actually have a negative influence on their life expectancy.

Men for example are under-represented in support groups. If you ever go to an open forum there's very rarely any topics regarding male safety while the opposite could be said of women. And that's considering men are much more likely to be a victim of violent crime.

Original post by Viceroy
It isn't so simple as women wanting or not wanting to study or enter particular fields. The lack of women in particular fields is a complex sociological issue. Here's one NY Times article that discusses why there are still so few women in science fields:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

yes it's a complex issue, that precisely why a mens forum is just as valid as a womens forum.

Look at the drastically higher rates of male suicide, lack of support networks for men, higher chance of loneliness in old age etc.

Tbh quite honest I'm pretty disgusted from the staffs uni response above.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jess778
Hi,

Friend of mine set up a Men's Society at the University of Manchester. It was so controversial that it was in the national papers! Nobody was excluded no matter who they are, but "the very idea" :shock:

It was still a big success and is still going five years on :smug:
Update: Currently there's a forum concerning loads of issues, one issue be re-examined is a mans forum or mens rights society. Currently open to all current students.

http://www.staffsunion.com/betterstaffsforum/#tabideas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending