The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Roehampton, Psychology 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohkitkat
How challenging is psychology at Roehampton, and what does the timetable look like?

Hi! Timetable for first years is (at the moment) Tuesday- Friday, with 10 hours a week + 1hr for tutorial every other week for single honours. If you do counselling as well, I think it's 9-5/6 on a Monday as well with an hour for lunch (I don't do counselling though so I don't know for sure!)
In regards to difficulty- it's definitely manageable. There is a lot of reading to do, as with any uni, although there is tons of support available if you're stuck, lecturers/learning advisors are around if you need any help. Hope that helped a little bit! Feel free to ask anymore questions if you have any, I'm a 1st year psychology student there :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Original post by ddO.M
How do you apply for acomodation pls

I think once you've applied they give you all the details then :-) once you have a student number x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by rockchicsocks
Hi! Timetable for first years is (at the moment) Tuesday- Friday, with 10 hours a week + 1hr for tutorial every other week for single honours. If you do counselling as well, I think it's 9-5/6 on a Monday as well with an hour for lunch (I don't do counselling though so I don't know for sure!)
In regards to difficulty- it's definitely manageable. There is a lot of reading to do, as with any uni, although there is tons of support available if you're stuck, lecturers/learning advisors are around if you need any help. Hope that helped a little bit! Feel free to ask anymore questions if you have any, I'm a 1st year psychology student there :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you live on Whitelands, how long does it take to walk to lectures? I'm studying there next year and I have not quite decided yet where I would like to stay haha. Thank you for your replies x
Do you live on Whitelands, how long does it take to walk to lectures? I'm studying there next year and I have not quite decided yet where I would like to stay haha. Thank you for your replies x

I do! It takes no time at all 30 seconds-1 minute!
It depends what atmosphere is more important to you. Everything is on main campus, so it's probably a lot more fun to stay up there compared to here (although Whitelands is awesome:b). I didn't really mind not having lots on campus because I'd much rather not have to walk far to lectures- rather than do a 10 minute walk in the rain/snow etc. And plus that means more sleep for me as all my lectures start at 9 😛 But it just really depends on what kinda atmosphere you're after :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I do! It takes no time at all 30 seconds-1 minute!
It depends what atmosphere is more important to you. Everything is on main campus, so it's probably a lot more fun to stay up there compared to here (although Whitelands is awesome:b). I didn't really mind not having lots on campus because I'd much rather not have to walk far to lectures- rather than do a 10 minute walk in the rain/snow etc. And plus that means more sleep for me as all my lectures start at 9 ������ But it just really depends on what kinda atmosphere you're after :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh, Whitelands is more tempting as its closest to where my lectures are. I just hope I dont regret it once I move hahah:tongue: Do you like your room and the kitchen area? My biggest concern is to who I end up sharing the space with tbh :K::K:
yeh, Whitelands is more tempting as its closest to where my lectures are. I just hope I dont regret it once I move hahah:tongue: Do you like your room and the kitchen area? My biggest concern is to who I end up sharing the space with tbh :K::K:

There is always that. I don't think it's that easy to move rooms as well once you're here (unless it's in the first few weeks) so you definitely want to be sure.

I like my room- it's bigger than I expected (I mean, it's still small, but definitely liveable!). There's lots of storage space for books and stuff like that. Also, the wardrobes go backwards (as in they are deep wardrobes, unlike normal width ones) , so getting all your clothes in there might be a struggle- but there's tons of storage space where you can fold them up and you could also store stuff under your bed in those plastic boxes if you need more.

The kitchen area is okay- I've heard that there are nicer ones somewhere on the main campus, but getting an ensuite was more important to me anyway. You get one fridge shelf, one freezer drawer and 2 cupboards each (one lockable).

I think that is definitely something to consider. My flat mates are lovely, but some of my cutlery and food does go walk about occasionally, although you're going to have that concern wherever you go. The only thing I can suggest is to get a key for your cupboard and lock up your most important stuff. Regarding food, I haven't figured that one out yet. Although, in your first year you have flat reps that live with you, and if you have any problems you can just ask to have a flat meeting and they will bring any issues up discreetly, meaning no one falls out about it.

Try not to worry about flat mates too much, chances are the majority (if not all of them) will be lovely. And if they aren't, you can make plenty of friends from the flats above/beneath/next door to you and use their kitchen :-) You do get to know most of the people in the flats around you anyway, so you're bound to find a lovely bunch. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by cheekyc0w
I'm studying Psychology and Counselling starting this September (2014) an applied to live in Whitelands and it's slightly seperste from the main campus and is where all of the psychology type courses are held.. but still a reasonable size. Hope this helps :smile:

hey i'm applying for psychology with counselling and don't know whether to apply to roehampton or not! what do you think of the course so far? and is it a nice uni? i live too far away to go to any open days :frown: and also is the accommodation and area nice? :smile:
Reply 27
There is always that. I don't think it's that easy to move rooms as well once you're here (unless it's in the first few weeks) so you definitely want to be sure.

I like my room- it's bigger than I expected (I mean, it's still small, but definitely liveable!). There's lots of storage space for books and stuff like that. Also, the wardrobes go backwards (as in they are deep wardrobes, unlike normal width ones) , so getting all your clothes in there might be a struggle- but there's tons of storage space where you can fold them up and you could also store stuff under your bed in those plastic boxes if you need more.

The kitchen area is okay- I've heard that there are nicer ones somewhere on the main campus, but getting an ensuite was more important to me anyway. You get one fridge shelf, one freezer drawer and 2 cupboards each (one lockable).

I think that is definitely something to consider. My flat mates are lovely, but some of my cutlery and food does go walk about occasionally, although you're going to have that concern wherever you go. The only thing I can suggest is to get a key for your cupboard and lock up your most important stuff. Regarding food, I haven't figured that one out yet. Although, in your first year you have flat reps that live with you, and if you have any problems you can just ask to have a flat meeting and they will bring any issues up discreetly, meaning no one falls out about it.

Try not to worry about flat mates too much, chances are the majority (if not all of them) will be lovely. And if they aren't, you can make plenty of friends from the flats above/beneath/next door to you and use their kitchen :-) You do get to know most of the people in the flats around you anyway, so you're bound to find a lovely bunch. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

This does put my nevers at ease, thank you! A couple more things, do people use their laptops during lectures to take notes etc? Also, do you use your student registration card to "check in" for lectures so they know how many you attend? Kind of random, but I heard my friend has to use it at her uni :confused:
This does put my nevers at ease, thank you! A couple more things, do people use their laptops during lectures to take notes etc? Also, do you use your student registration card to "check in" for lectures so they know how many you attend? Kind of random, but I heard my friend has to use it at her uni :confused:

I study psychology and im in my third year so hopefully I can answer your questions. In lecturers people use their laptops, not everyone but some people take notes on theres but most people either bring a notepad or they print off the lecture slides and take notes on that. There was a fingerprint system but that doesnt work so theres a register that gets passed round for everyone to sign their name. They do moniter how many lectures you go to and if you miss a certain number (cant remember how many) but they'll send you an email about it
How challenging is psychology at Roehampton, and what does the timetable look like?

I think it can be quite difficult because it is very independent and it does require you to work outside. I think the only thing I have found really challenging is third year because its very intense. First year was really easy and nothing to worry about, its definitely the time to make mistakes.

My timetable in first year was social and developmental psychology 11-1. mind body and brain was 9-11, I had experiencing psychological research 2-4, you choose an optional module so that depends but it'll be 2 hours usually. Psychology in practice 9-11 on a tuesday and research methods varies depending on your group, it was either monday tuesday or wednesday for two hours.
Original post by ddO.M
How do you apply for acomodation pls

You have to apply on the accommodation website for roehampton.
www.roehampton.ac.uk/accommodation and then at the top of the page it says apply
Reply 31

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know you do psychology but do you happen to know anyone who does business management timetable because I have applied for it in September 2015 but no one seems to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I know you do psychology but do you happen to know anyone who does business management timetable because I have applied for it in September 2015 but no one seems to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't I'm afraid!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I don't I'm afraid!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks anyway :smile: hopefully I'll find out more on my offer day for it soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
I'll be studying psychology, but do I have to sign up for classes? If so where do i do that?
I'll be studying psychology, but do I have to sign up for classes? If so where do i do that?

You don't until enrolment week, the modules choices are offered internally online, if you have any, through software called Moodle.
Reply 36
Does anyone have their psychology and counselling timetable from first year? Mine doesn't seem to show up
Original post by SABJSCJ
Does anyone have their psychology and counselling timetable from first year? Mine doesn't seem to show up

You won't get a timetable until Freshers week. If it is the same as last year you will have your counselling modules on a Monday, with lectures in the morning and skills in the afternoon. Tuesdays was Research methods and Social/Development Psychology in the morning.Wednesdays was Psychology in practice (I think they have combined this with research methods for you this year). Thursday mornings was Mind Body Brain. In all we have 3 9am starts! In addition there is a research methods computer class, this will depend on which group you are in. Hope that helps.
Now you've all settled in. What is it like doing psychology there? Are the lecturers helpful, do you get good. Feedback. Are they supportive & approachable if you need help?
Thx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending