The Student Room Group

Android OS Discussion v2.0

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3260
Well I love it on my nexus 4, never had any such issues...
Original post by AdamCee
Anyone else here happen to have a Nexus 5 recently upgraded to Lollypop, and absolutely hate it?

Since I updated my phone has constantly be running at 80-90% RAM, I can easily kill the battery in a couple of hours with standard use, for some reason my wifi keeps turning itself off whenever I turn it on so everything has to be run through 4G (luckily I have unlimited data so it's fine, but still...) and the removal of being able to quickly silence it with the power button is driving me insane

Please tell me I'm not the only one?

Oh and my keyboard doesn't work if I open a text message from the lock screen, so I have to close the app and then reopen it... Which sort of defeats the objective of the "fast reply" tbh

Original post by Pseudocode
It's terrible.

Yeah, it's awful.
Original post by AdamCee
Anyone else here happen to have a Nexus 5 recently upgraded to Lollypop, and absolutely hate it?

I'm using cataclysm too but bear in mind work is already being done to update lollipop. Already talk of 5.0.1, to fix bugs I assume.
Original post by g8d
5.0.1 has been out for a week :creep:

hurry up google
And.... (drum roll please)

I've lost my uninsured Nexus 5!

What phone shall I get next? I was going to keep it for another year, but obviously that's not an option now. Not sure I want to get the same phone again either.
Original post by Cerdic
And.... (drum roll please)

I've lost my uninsured Nexus 5!

What phone shall I get next? I was going to keep it for another year, but obviously that's not an option now. Not sure I want to get the same phone again either.

Sympathy rep. :hugs:

N6 if you have the funds.
OnePlus One if slightly less rich.
Moto G if slightly less rich.
iPhone if you're mad, bro! :wink:

Edit: Can't you find it on Android Device Manager?
Original post by mikeyd85
Sympathy rep. :hugs:

N6 if you have the funds.
OnePlus One if slightly less rich.
Moto G if slightly less rich.
iPhone if you're mad, bro! :wink:

Edit: Can't you find it on Android Device Manager?

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm not sure I could handle the size of the OPO of the N6, would never go iPhone, Moto G is feature lacking.

Android Device Manager says it was last online on the 10th. I sent out a lock request, but I doubt my phone will ever get it. It isn't answering calls either.
N6 is ginormous. I honestly don't know what Google were thinking. The mainstream and popular market for high end devices is under 5.3". The Note 4 is like a periphery device yet the N6 tops even that in size! If you want to penetrate the market and showcase Android to the world, why make a niche-sized device. Very strange

I also hear the encryption makes it stutter. A top of the range phone in 2014 and it has lag? That's a design fault IMO. You just can't be serious. The HTC Nexus tablet looks a bit of a mess too.

Google prove once again they're complete novices in the hardware game. The retail side is laughable. Nothing is ever in stock, year upon year.

Anyway predictions for 2015?
hate to sound like a broken record but this might be the year Sony quit the mobile market, and HTC follow. The truth is no matter if they create the perfect phone, they just don't have the traction. I think there are too many manufacturers and it's just not sustainable. Android is becoming very much like the PC market with every passing month. Manufacturer's will be fighting for crumbs pretty soon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by G8D
I know we haven't but for my purposes I think we've effectively peaked when it comes to hardware improvements (beyond battery life, of course).

I'm at a point (owning an N5) where I rarely even notice the hardware anymore, and that's a good thing. My prediction for 2015 is therefore: nothing exciting.

Considering that smart phones are content consumption devices for the vast majority, I'd agree. Until tech advances to the point where they're content creation devices, what we have now is pretty much all we need.

In seriously considering not bothering with a new phone now I have lollipop on my One M7. A better camera would be nice, but that's all I ever find myself thinking on terms of negatives.
Original post by silent ninja
N6 is ginormous. I honestly don't know what Google were thinking. The mainstream and popular market for high end devices is under 5.3". The Note 4 is like a periphery device yet the N6 tops even that in size! If you want to penetrate the market and showcase Android to the world, why make a niche-sized device. Very strange

I also hear the encryption makes it stutter. A top of the range phone in 2014 and it has lag? That's a design fault IMO. You just can't be serious. The HTC Nexus tablet looks a bit of a mess too.

Google prove once again they're complete novices in the hardware game. The retail side is laughable. Nothing is ever in stock, year upon year.

Anyway predictions for 2015?
hate to sound like a broken record but this might be the year Sony quit the mobile market, and HTC follow. The truth is no matter if they create the perfect phone, they just don't have the traction. I think there are too many manufacturers and it's just not sustainable. Android is becoming very much like the PC market with every passing month. Manufacturer's will be fighting for crumbs pretty soon

I can't see Sony and HTC quitting the market in 2015. They've both got top-spec handsets out and the Z4/M9 are going to be serious players when they're released.

I agree that there are very little improvements that can be made at the moment. I think the move to 64-bit systems will be the last major move forward we see in the next few years.
Original post by Harpoon
I can't see Sony and HTC quitting the market in 2015. They've both got top-spec handsets out and the Z4/M9 are going to be serious players when they're released.

I agree that there are very little improvements that can be made at the moment. I think the move to 64-bit systems will be the last major move forward we see in the next few years.

They don't sell many handsets and both have made losses (admittedly this year they both made small gains compared to last). Sony's brand has all but gone down the toilet from the various security breaches they've faced. I think this has really hurt them and besides the PlayStation, they are hemorrhaging money - they don't make laptops anymore and the television business may well be dropped soon too. HTC arguably have had the overall best Android handset for 2 years according to most journalists yet that hasn't precipitated in sales. Sony have decided to drastically reduce the number of handsets they make too, don't forget.

Maybe they won't exit but I just can't see how either will turn a corner. LG, Samsung and Lenovo (in the form of Motorola) are big juggernauts in comparison. The Chinese manufacturers are upping there game too. Soon they'll muscle in with cheap but premium handsets. It's a constant uphill struggle for small companies like HTC and Sony's mobile arm.
(edited 9 years ago)
They don't sell many handsets and both have made losses (admittedly this year they both made small gains compared to last). Sony's brand has all but gone down the toilet from the various security breaches they've faced. I think this has really hurt them and besides the PlayStation, they are hemorrhaging money - they don't make laptops anymore and the television business may well be dropped soon too. HTC arguably have had the overall best Android handset for 2 years according to most journalists yet that hasn't precipitated in sales. Sony have decided to drastically reduce the number of handsets they make too, don't forget.

Maybe they won't exit but I just can't see how either will turn a corner. LG, Samsung and Lenovo (in the form of Motorola) are big juggernauts in comparison. The Chinese manufacturers are upping there game too. Soon they'll muscle in with cheap but premium handsets. It's a constant uphill struggle for small companies like HTC and Sony's mobile arm.

Let's be honest... Source Motorola is hardly a juggernaut to HTC and Sony.

Incidentally I opted for Sony Z3 as my new phone. It seems the rational choice among phones, I'm surprised how low profile it is.
Original post by Cerdic
Let's be honest... Source Motorola is hardly a juggernaut to HTC and Sony.

Incidentally I opted for Sony Z3 as my new phone. It seems the rational choice among phones, I'm surprised how low profile it is.

Lenovo is huge compared to HTC. HTC only make mobile devices. In fact, aren't they the only manufacturer that doesn't have other arms of the business to fall back on and prop up their finances?
(edited 9 years ago)
Lenovo is huge compared to HTC. HTC only make mobile devices. In fact, aren't they the only manufacturer that doesn't have other arms of the business to fall back on and prop up their finances?

Yeah, the only major one. Xiaomi is another, but they do a little bit of dabbling in the TV market, HTC has nothing.
Does anyone ever get the feeling they're not using there phone to its full capacity?

I have the Note 4 and just seems so much I'm not doing with with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheCasual MK2
Does anyone ever get the feeling they're not using there phone to its full capacity?

Oh yeah. Ever since I bought the Nexus 5RIP. Certainly the days when I'd root to get a few more MHz out of my CPU are gone.
Original post by TheCasual MK2

+1.

Upgrades seem more and more pointless to me at the mo. The One M7 with CM12 does everything I need really.
Original post by mikeyd85
+1.

Upgrades seem more and more pointless to me at the mo. The One M7 with CM12 does everything I need really.

I upgraded from a Galaxy Ace 2 and before that I had a Galaxy 2 so the upgrade was worth it for me.

But it just seems so much to learn.
EE have just doubled my data allowance for free. Woohoo! From 1GB to 2GB!

Note: I initially signed up for a 3G contract, then got a free upgrade to 4G, but with the 1GB allowance my 3G contract had. Had I known I'd end up with 4G, I'd have got more data initially.
Anyone use Pushbullet? It seems to work pretty well. I receive all my notifications on my laptop and any other devices I set up, without having to always check my phone. I can send texts from my laptop directly too. It's neat.

I'd like to be able to view full conversations and even make calls maybe, but it'll do for what I want. It also lets you push things between devices .e.g you're viewing a map on your tablet and want to forward it to your phone so you can navigate it to it; you hit one button and it opens up in Maps on your mobile.

iOS and Macs are getting an increasing level of functionality between phone and computer and I think this is the way forward. Hopefully the Android APIs catch up then we'll get more integrated apps. It needs to be seamless.

I've also discovered We Transfer which lets you transfer up to 10gb files from your phone to anyone. It sends them a link. I've not properly tested it but it sounds awesome.

Finally, anyone tried RealPlayer Cloud? I think Google's Play Music is bloody awesome. You can upload all your audio files to it then access them from any device, anywhere, and be given the option to download the files if you want. It works so damn well in my opinion and I'm wondering why everyone isn't using it. I'd love something like this for my movie files and RealPlayer Cloud seems to do it? They even do the encoding stuff to match play the correct format and match bandwidth.

All this Google-y stuff works like a dream with Chromecast -- device of 2014 imo. £20 for such an amazing device. Did you know you can even use the Chromecast to video conference call! It's got so many features.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending