The Student Room Group

The Official Scottish Primary Teaching (PGDE) Thread - 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ifu02348
fantastic, when did you have your interview?

Yesterday morning :smile:
Hello!

I recently got my applications in for PGDE at Glasgow (don't believe that one will happen at all!) and Strathclyde in Scotland, and Hertfordshire and Chester in England.

Waiting game now! I'm only a little worried as due to work I was only able to get a placement for January through to June :/

*Goes back to frantically refreshing Track every 5 minutes*
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 142
That's brilliant - well done! I have my interview for glasgow tomorrow morning and I'm sooo nervous cause that's the one I really want! Do you mind sharing with us what questions you got asked? Or any other helpful tips please?
Reply 143
What was the interview like for glasgow? I have mine tomorrow! Had strathclyde on Monday so hoping it will be similar!
Original post by Catv91
What was the interview like for glasgow? I have mine tomorrow! Had strathclyde on Monday so hoping it will be similar!

What was the Strathclyde interview like? I've not had a reply from either Glasgow, Strathy or UWS yet (and I don't have much hope for Glasgow with my GCSE/A-Level results), but am hoping for an interview and Strathy is probably my first choice :smile:
I'm currently on the PGDE course in Dundee if anyone would like any advice :smile:
Reply 146
I thought the strathclyde interview was really tough...though I think it was just my particular interviewers because most other people said it was as expected. Most of the questions were ok though - what qualities will a good teacher have, how would you cope with the demands of the pgde, why you want the strathclyde course in particular, and current issues in education.
The written task was completely fine. There's a different one for every day though so can't really help you there! It's just checking your spelling, grammar and structure of writing though!
Thanks for the reply! As soon as I hear I've got an interview somewhere (anywhere!) I'll start prepping!

Can I ask how long the written had to be?
I felt that Strathclyde was pretty tough too, and didn't feel particularly at ease in the interview. I think I was interviewed by Amanda and there was another guy there whose name escapes me. In contrast, Glasgow was very friendly and I felt much more relaxed. I haven't heard anything gr strathclyde as yet, but have been give an unconditional for Glasgow :smile:
Original post by Cathrela
Thanks for the reply! As soon as I hear I've got an interview somewhere (anywhere!) I'll start prepping!

Can I ask how long the written had to be?

In the info given with the interview invite it stated 250 words but on the day it said not more than 500.
Reply 150
Hi everyone

Has anyone had their interview at Strathclyde and heard back yet? Glasgow seems to have replied pretty sharpish - well done those who got their unconditionals! :smile:
Had interview at Strathclyde on wednesday and got an unconditional by teatime on friday
Reply 152
Original post by samkxo
Hi everyone. I've created a facebook group. It's called PGDE Primary 2015 Scotland if you want to search and join or alternatively leave your name and a brief description of your facebook profile picture and I can add you to it.

HI could you add me in the fb page, I have sent a request to join the group. My name is varinder dhaliwal and my profile pic has two kids with a swan in water.
Reply 153
I had my strathclyde interview last Wednesday and got a conditional tonight. I'm not really sure of the actual conditions though - it says 'proof of degree'...but no specification as to what classification. I currently have an ordinary degree and am in my honours year...so since it doesn't specify, I'm not sure what I've to do! Anyone else in the same situation?
Hi all, this may seem a silly question but to those of you who have already been interviewed: what did you wear to the interview? I want to, of course, look as professional and put-together as possible but am unsure of how formal to dress. Thanks in advance!
That's the same as me felt Glasgow were interested in you as a person and the questions all linked into each other. At strathclyde i found the questions harder to answer. I too got an unconditional for Glasgow and haven't heard from strathclyde. Do we need to wait on strathclyde before we can accept Glashow ? X
Reply 156
Original post by sophiea2
Hi all, this may seem a silly question but to those of you who have already been interviewed: what did you wear to the interview? I want to, of course, look as professional and put-together as possible but am unsure of how formal to dress. Thanks in advance!

I wore smart black trousers, a dressy-ish top and heels. People weren't dressed up as much as I'd expected though - some people were wearing jeans and jumpers! So looking back I don't think heels were necessary haha! Just wear smart clothes, something that you would wear if you were doing work experience maybe?
I'm not sure about waiting for strathclyde before you can accept Glasgow. I've applied to Edinburgh so I'm waiting to hear about that - it would be much easier for me financially, though I did really like the vibe from Glasgow.

I wore a dress with leggings and boots. It was just the sort of thing I wear to work. Advice I received from a nqt at my school was to try not to just wear black, as most people do. Perhaps a different coloured cardigan or something to be a little more memorable?
Original post by jennipenny32
I'm currently on the PGDE course in Dundee if anyone would like any advice :smile:

I've applied but haven't yet heard back from Dundee but have an interview for Glasgow. Really want Dundee though. Do you know what their interviews are like?
Original post by HCatherine13
I've applied but haven't yet heard back from Dundee but have an interview for Glasgow. Really want Dundee though. Do you know what their interviews are like?

Last year we had a group interview. There were 10 of us in the room and we had to split into two groups for the first task and discuss three objects and how we could use them in the classroom. We were observed during our discussions and then had to report back to the other group. We then had to give a two minute talk on a subject that had been emailed to us. We finished with a group discussion, the subject for this had also been emailed to us prior to interview. We got off topic very quickly though and didn't really discuss what we were supposed to be discussing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending