The Student Room Group

Applying to University of Oxford

Hello mates, I believe that will advice will be a great helper for me.
I am from a developing non-English speaking country. And applying to Oxford next year. Engineering-science department. Therefore, I've almost 9 months to work on my skills. My high school qualification is listed as insufficient. Therefore, I spent two years in a domestic university. And also took qualifications from the U.S. Just need the PAT. Moreover, I've time to sharpen my skills. Should I learn another language? Learn to play a musical instrument? Or any sort of extraordinary activities? Since I need a scholarship, I need to be extremely competitive, even a spellbinding student. Waiting for your valuable response. Thank you.
Original post by AhmedHope
Hello mates, I believe that will advice will be a great helper for me.
I am from a developing non-English speaking country. And applying to Oxford next year. Engineering-science department. Therefore, I've almost 9 months to work on my skills. My high school qualification is listed as insufficient. Therefore, I spent two years in a domestic university. And also took qualifications from the U.S. Just need the PAT. Moreover, I've time to sharpen my skills. Should I learn another language? Learn to play a musical instrument? Or any sort of extraordinary activities? Since I need a scholarship, I need to be extremely competitive, even a spellbinding student. Waiting for your valuable response. Thank you.

So first of all, I'm assuming you've made sure that Oxford regards the time you've spent in the domestic university as being adequate preparation for the University, because I can't comment on that personally.

Oxford (as with most top UK universities) isn't interested in your skills that aren't related to the subject you're applying for, so learning another language or a musical instrument won't help you in the slightest. They are just interested in your abilities as an individual. I don't know if you have physics or maths olympiads (or similar) in your country but if you do, entering them is a very good idea. Do as much outside reading as possible. Getting work experience isn't necessary but it could be helpful if you're able to get it.

I really wouldn't be too optimistic about getting a scholarship though. Getting into Oxford is already incredibly difficult, getting a scholarship is even harder. It is possible and there are scholarships available (you can search for them here) but you have to be aware that it's unlikely you'll get one.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
So first of all, I'm assuming you've made sure that Oxford regards the time you've spent in the domestic university as being adequate preparation for the University, because I can't comment on that personally.

Oxford (as with most top UK universities) isn't interested in your skills that aren't related to the subject you're applying for, so learning another language or a musical instrument won't help you in the slightest. They are just interested in your abilities as an individual. I don't know if you have physics or maths olympiads (or similar) in your country but if you do, entering them is a very good idea. Do as much outside reading as possible. Getting work experience isn't necessary but it could be helpful if you're able to get it.

I really wouldn't be too optimistic about getting a scholarship though. Getting into Oxford is already incredibly difficult, getting a scholarship is even harder. It is possible and there are scholarships available (you can search for them here) but you have to be aware that it's unlikely you'll get one.

Thank you mate. But besides the period I spent in my domestic universities, I've met the entry requirements needed from the U.S students. 'The SATs.'
I've made broad searches for acceptance rates and scholarships available. And the scholarship band I am looking up to suites my status academically and financially and most important for my ethnic background. However, it's completely frustrating your saying that I am unlikely to get one. Because that would mean that either I am uncompetitive enough and there are hundreds of other candidates better than I or that there are no scholarships.
Thank you mate. But besides the period I spent in my domestic universities, I've met the entry requirements needed from the U.S students. 'The SATs.'
I've made broad searches for acceptance rates and scholarships available. And the scholarship band I am looking up to suites my status academically and financially and most important for my ethnic background. However, it's completely frustrating your saying that I am unlikely to get one. Because that would mean that either I am uncompetitive enough and there are hundreds of other candidates better than I or that there are no scholarships.

It might be frustrating but unfortunately it's statistically true. Saying that you're unlikely to get a scholarship at one of the most competitive institutions in the world is not an insult! It's a simple statistical truth - it'd be equally as true to say you're unlikely to get into Oxford in the first place, bearing in mind that I don't know what your stats are and that the acceptance rate for internationals is pretty low. That's not a judgement against you, I'm simply telling you that the vast majority of people who apply to Oxford do not get in, and an even smaller percentage of those who do get in get scholarships. Statistically seen, it is likely that you are uncompetitive enough and it's quite possible that there are hundreds of applicants better than you. None of this is an attack on you, these are simply statistics that are true for the average applicant, which on average you are likely to be! Of course it's possible that you get in and that you get a scholarship - I've got absolutely no way of knowing that though since you've not really told us anything about you.

I don't think Chlorophile ever meant to insinuate that you are not a competitive candidate for a scholarship. However, the fact of the matter is that Oxford itself offers very few scholarships for international students studying at the undergraduate level (See http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support, and I say this without prejudice - I did my undergraduate as an international student at Oxford). Unlike the US schools, UK universities are far less generous with financial aid for international undergraduates.

Obviously, you should also consider national/ regional grants such as Jardine scholarships, but at the end of the day, bear in mind that university-based funding is competitive; funds are relatively limited, and the quality of Oxford's applicants is generally high.
Reply 5
Thank you very much mates!!
In fact it can't be denied that it's completely competitive and that's why I am here. I'd like to increase my chances and be as much competitive as possible. I have high scores for the tests needed for the general entry requirements but I am also aware that my chances can't be calculated with only my scores. The thing is, I want to know what Oxford really search for, what will make them really choose by me among all the other similar candidates. That thing I can work in it as much as possible. For example, great knowledge of physics.. top scores and so forth... Thanks again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you very much mates!!
In fact it can't be denied that it's completely competitive and that's why I am here. I'd like to increase my chances and be as much competitive as possible. I have high scores for the tests needed for the general entry requirements but I am also aware that my chances can't be calculated with only my scores. The thing is, I want to know what Oxford really search for, what will make them really choose by me among all the other similar candidates. That thing I can work in it as much as possible. For example, great knowledge of physics.. top scores and so forth... Thanks again.

If your PAT score is amongst the top 10 of all applicants, you WILL get an offer.
However I'm not sure what you'll need to achieve in the PAT to get a scholarship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending