The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Regardless of rankings, based on reputation and isn't and never has been a top 10. A good University nonetheless but not a top 10. Btw I'm not trying to be rude :wink:

What unis would you say are in the top 10?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by V94
Language-wise I'm looking at Chinese or Japanese or Korean. Would I still be able to get full funding for my entire course even though I've already used a terms money? Especially if it was a 4 year course? I don't really understand the funding part and it's my main worry about dropping out.

Again I'm sorry for not replying earlier but I'm having issues with using TSR on my phone, I appreciate your response.

Yes, you would still get funding for another degree as long as you drop-out before the second year starts. Everyone is entitled to a loan which covers the full length of their degree plus one extra 'gift year' (the gift year is intended to help people who drop-out and then re-apply, or people who fail an exam and need to re-sit a year). Have you looked at SOAS? They have a really good linguistics degree that you can study on its own or in combination with many different Asian languages. Are you going to do an Access to HE course?
Reply 22
Original post by Snufkin
Yes, you would still get funding for another degree as long as you drop-out before the second year starts. Everyone is entitled to a loan which covers the full length of their degree plus one extra 'gift year' (the gift year is intended to help people who drop-out and then re-apply, or people who fail an exam and need to re-sit a year). Have you looked at SOAS? They have a really good linguistics degree that you can study on its own or in combination with many different Asian languages. Are you going to do an Access to HE course?

I've just taken a quick look at SOAS I'd never come across it before but it looks very good so I'll look into it more in a second.
Okay that's a relief I was worried about the funding, would my first term count towards part of my gift year do you know?
I haven't looked into Access to Higher Education yet but it is something I'm considering if I can go straight into another degree that would be preferable though.
Original post by tammie123
What unis would you say are in the top 10?

The undisputed top 5:
Oxford and Cambridge
LSE and Imperial
UCL

The next 5 could be any combination of:
Durham
KCL
Warwick
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
Bristol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by V94
I've just taken a quick look at SOAS I'd never come across it before but it looks very good so I'll look into it more in a second.
Okay that's a relief I was worried about the funding, would my first term count towards part of my gift year do you know?
I haven't looked into Access to Higher Education yet but it is something I'm considering if I can go straight into another degree that would be preferable though.

SOAS is a good choice. One of the best in the world for what it does.
The undisputed top 5:
Oxford and Cambridge
LSE and Imperial
UCL

The next 5 could be any combination of:
Durham
KCL
Warwick
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
Bristol.

Yeah I agree, all the ones I've bolded would be the undisputed top 8 in my opinion, and I think KCL should follow close after UCL, it's making alot of progress year after year (then again I may be a little biased :tongue:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I agree, all the ones I've bolded would be the undisputed top 8 in my opinion, and I think KCL should follow close after UCL, it's making alot of progress year after year (then again I may be a little biased :tongue:)

I would be inclined to agree. KCL is higher than Durham and Warwick since it is known far more internationally. Although that name chance to King's London is a pretty stupid thing to do.
Original post by V94
This is something I am now considering, particularly the foundation year course but I'm not sure how funding would work

Awesome!

The way student finance works is you're allowed one year + one full course.

If it's an integrated degree (e.g. four year course with a foundation year) think you're covered. Ask student finance for more info, but I think a course including a foundation year is a university course not two courses.

If it's stand alone, 1 year course, you will probably have to pay it.
I would be inclined to agree. KCL is higher than Durham and Warwick since it is known far more internationally. Although that name chance to King's London is a pretty stupid thing to do.

Yeah, it's a waste of 300 million pounds, but we all petitioned and they're going to reconsider it. I really hope they don't go through with it, I like our name how it is :tongue:
Yeah, it's a waste of 300 million pounds, but we all petitioned and they're going to reconsider it. I really hope they don't go through with it, I like our name how it is :tongue:

300k wasn't it? 300 million would be most of their research funding haha. Considering they have been developing this new 'brand' for some time now, its unlikely they will completely u-turn on it.

You could always re-brand as the 'Strand Polytechnic' :biggrin:
Reply 30
I would urge OP not to get caught up in the *snobbery of TSR when it comes to universities. **There is nothing wrong with leaving a top 10 uni and going to a 'lesser' one if you are unhappy in your current situation. There may be some advantage to university A over university B, but in reality employers will be just as (or more) interested in real world experience; voluntary, internships, work experience, etc.

I left a top 15 university (at the time no 1 for my department as well) and switched to an ex-poly. Can't say I noticed any difference in quality as both were pretty mediocre experiences. I think whether the experience is good or not can be decided by one or two great/awful tutors in the department.

*The OU would definitely not make the 'standard' a lot of people on TSR set, that doesn't make it a bad way to study.
**I might exclude oxbridge from this argument because they are so elite just having that on your CV is nice, plus the networking opportunities may open doors.
300k wasn't it? 300 million would be most of their research funding haha. Considering they have been developing this new 'brand' for some time now, its unlikely they will completely u-turn on it.

You could always re-brand as the 'Strand Polytechnic' :biggrin:

Oh yeah you're right my bad :colondollar: still 300K is also alot of money to waste on something so stupid

haha please don't even say that phrase :tongue:
Original post by V94
would my first term count towards part of my gift year do you know?

No idea, you'd have to ask student finance. Does it make a difference though?
Reply 33
SOAS is a good choice. One of the best in the world for what it does.

Yes I'm really liking the look of it ^.^
Reply 34
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
Awesome!

The way student finance works is you're allowed one year + one full course.

If it's an integrated degree (e.g. four year course with a foundation year) think you're covered. Ask student finance for more info, but I think a course including a foundation year is a university course not two courses.

If it's stand alone, 1 year course, you will probably have to pay it.

Ah right! Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow to double check everything but this puts me at ease a little :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by BigV
I would urge OP not to get caught up in the *snobbery of TSR when it comes to universities. **There is nothing wrong with leaving a top 10 uni and going to a 'lesser' one if you are unhappy in your current situation. There may be some advantage to university A over university B, but in reality employers will be just as (or more) interested in real world experience; voluntary, internships, work experience, etc.

I left a top 15 university (at the time no 1 for my department as well) and switched to an ex-poly. Can't say I noticed any difference in quality as both were pretty mediocre experiences. I think whether the experience is good or not can be decided by one or two great/awful tutors in the department.

*The OU would definitely not make the 'standard' a lot of people on TSR set, that doesn't make it a bad way to study.
**I might exclude oxbridge from this argument because they are so elite just having that on your CV is nice, plus the networking opportunities may open doors.

To be honest I never really bothered with which unis/qualifications are top etc. I was a student with excellent grades and chose to do Btec rather than A-levels because I wanted to though a lot of my "friends" looked down on me for it and many continue and assume I wasn't intelligent enough for A-levels etc. which really isn't the case.

My only concern was the fact that my course convenor mentioned I'd do better with a degree from Lancaster even though it's in Theatre just because it's a "top 10". I'd really never bothered to think about how people might perceive my degree based on where it is from before. Also I actually think very highly of anyone who has achieved a degree through Open University, I don't know why people consider it lesser when the graduates have worked just as hard (at least) as a graduate from a brick university. :confused:
Reply 36
Original post by Snufkin
No idea, you'd have to ask student finance. Does it make a difference though?

No not really it's just one of the courses I looked at was 5 years including a foundation year and I was wondering if I'd have to pay for a certain amount of it myself. I'll phone SFE tomorrow and find out what's what. Thanks for all the help. :smile:
Original post by V94
No not really it's just one of the courses I looked at was 5 years including a foundation year and I was wondering if I'd have to pay for a certain amount of it myself. I'll phone SFE tomorrow and find out what's what. Thanks for all the help. :smile:

No, you wouldn't have to pay. The calculation student finance use is this:

Length of degree (let's assume 5 years) + 1 gift year - previous years of university study (in your case 1) = 5 years of loan entitlement left.
Reply 38
Original post by Snufkin
No, you wouldn't have to pay. The calculation student finance use is this:

Length of degree (let's assume 5 years) + 1 gift year - previous years of university study (in your case 1) = 5 years of loan entitlement left.

Ah ok, thanks very much :biggrin:
Regardless of rankings, based on reputation and isn't and never has been a top 10. A good University nonetheless but not a top 10. Btw I'm not trying to be rude :wink:

I cannot believe you're arguing over 10th v 11th.

Latest

Trending

Trending