The Student Room Group

Applying for Year In Industry(YINI)

I have been recently attracted by the YINI initiative and have decided to consider it. The problem is that i don't want to jump into something without having heard from people who've had 1st hand experience. Is there anyone opting for the same experience or who has anything to share on this issue :confused:?
btw, i'm starting my year 12 in September and i would like to do something related to chemical engineering since i want to take the 4 year MEng degree in chem Eng after the gap year.
Just to settle the matter, i live in North Yorkshire and having searched through the YINI website, it looks like very few YINI companies can be found in North Yorkshire. Would it be worth it to get a job far away from parents and having to pay for my own rent:biggrin:?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blessedness
I have been recently attracted by the YINI initiative and have decided to consider it. The problem is that i don't want to jump into something without having heard from people who've had 1st hand experience. Is there anyone opting for the same experience or who has anything to share on this issue :confused:?
btw, i'm starting my year 12 in September and i would like to do something related to chemical engineering since i want to take the 4 year MEng degree in chem Eng after the gap year.
Just to settle the matter, i live in North Yorkshire and having searched through the YINI website, it looks like very few YINI companies can be found in North Yorkshire. Would it be worth it to get a job far away from parents and having to pay for my own rent:biggrin:?

Hi, I'm in year 13 and I applied to YINI and I've now got a placement. Don't worry about the website as they don't put all of the available jobs up on there. You apply and tell them your preferences then they contact you with jobs which they think you'll like.
Reply 2
Audi turbo thanks very much. sorry if i seem so fussy but would you mind telling me which part of the UK you are. i just want to feel safe since i know that these are pretty huge decisions. Is your placement close to where you live or you'll be going far?
Audi turbo thanks very much. sorry if i seem so fussy but would you mind telling me which part of the UK you are. i just want to feel safe since i know that these are pretty huge decisions. Is your placement close to where you live or you'll be going far?

I'm from the South East. My placement's just over an hour from home so it's not too bad.

I get what you mean about making a huge decision but what I did was apply to universities for 2014 entry and then when I got accepted on my placement I deferred all of my offers with no problem whatsoever. This way you're not committed to going on a gap year until you find the right placement I guess.

What I'd recommend doing would be phoning up your local EDT office and asking about the sort of jobs that they'll have available. They're quite helpful so they'll probably answer any questions you've got.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
that's so helpful. thank you so much. btw, what kind of placement are you going to do(ie in which field) and how many hours have you been given to do per week?
that's so helpful. thank you so much. btw, what kind of placement are you going to do(ie in which field) and how many hours have you been given to do per week?

It's mechanical engineering and I'm doing a standard 40 hour week for 9 months
Reply 6
Original post by audi_turbo
It's mechanical engineering and I'm doing a standard 40 hour week for 9 months

Hi!

I know this is a old thread but I can't seem to find anything newer on tsr. I'm really interested in the programme and I'm looking to do a chemistry degree for 2015 entry (hopefully). I've just finished year 13 and I am now taking a gap year but is there anyway I can apply for the yini placement for this year? Or is it
now for the following year? :/
Reply 7
Personally, I'm still gathering some more info on YINI since i'm still 2 years away from the real decision(going for year 12 in September). If u feel lyk you really want it, i don't see any harm in you trying. What i would advice though is to try and work with your former school(ie teachers from there) and apply as soon as possible. I think you still stand a chance. Just have your CVs prepared and be ready to do massive researches on individual companies. Be blessed and i hope it'll go well with you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096
Hi!

I know this is a old thread but I can't seem to find anything newer on tsr. I'm really interested in the programme and I'm looking to do a chemistry degree for 2015 entry (hopefully). I've just finished year 13 and I am now taking a gap year but is there anyway I can apply for the yini placement for this year? Or is it now for the following year? :/

No, it's not too late. You're at an advantage applying before results day when there will inevitably be some people who miss offers and need to find things to do in a gap year. Having said that there's no guarantee that there'll be a placement that exactly fits your needs, you sometimes have to be a bit flexible. The best thing to do is to apply and see if there's anything. :smile:
Reply 9
No, it's not too late. You're at an advantage applying before results day when there will inevitably be some people who miss offers and need to find things to do in a gap year. Having said that there's no guarantee that there'll be a placement that exactly fits your needs, you sometimes have to be a bit flexible. The best thing to do is to apply and see if there's anything. :smile:

thank you so much for this! I've been scouring tsr for ages and no one seems to be doing anything yini related! have you don't it before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096
thank you so much for this! I've been scouring tsr for ages and no one seems to be doing anything yini related! have you don't it before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a YINI starting in September
Reply 11
I'm doing a YINI starting in September

oh awesome! was it hard to get the placement? and also what are you planning to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zuzu096
oh awesome! was it hard to get the placement? and also what are you planning to do at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had to go to an assessment day which was quite challenging. Doing Mechanical Engineering at uni :wink:
Reply 13
Had to go to an assessment day which was quite challenging. Doing Mechanical Engineering at uni :wink:

was that for the company you're doing the placement with or for yini? oooh well done on getting it! im sure you'll have an amazing year. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm in year 13 and I applied to YINI and I've now got a placement. Don't worry about the website as they don't put all of the available jobs up on there. You apply and tell them your preferences then they contact you with jobs which they think you'll like.

Hi! I'm currently in Year 13 and I'm thinking of deferring my entries to 2016 and I would like to go for the YINI placement.

Seeing as you've been successful in getting a placement how easy do you think it is to get a placement?

Following that do they expect you to have high predicted grades or something in order to be offered a place?

What were the interviews like?

Also what university are thinking of going to if you don't mind my asking?
Original post by Disney0702
Hi! I'm currently in Year 13 and I'm thinking of deferring my entries to 2016 and I would like to go for the YINI placement.

Seeing as you've been successful in getting a placement how easy do you think it is to get a placement?

Following that do they expect you to have high predicted grades or something in order to be offered a place?

What were the interviews like?

Also what university are thinking of going to if you don't mind my asking?

Hi there! I am one of a team of five Year In Industry students (YINIs) working at Rolls-Royce. We have been here since September and are mostly enjoying the work we are doing, although it's a bit slow at the moment!

EDT definitely provide a lot of help with finding interviews for you and with the CV too if you ask. They preselect some interviews for you and give you options with others as well. There were a lot of people at the preliminary interviews but they do try and find a place for everyone.

I don't think grades are as important as enthusiasm or geniuine interest. We have a mix of grades within our YINI team so I am sure that it is not a huge contributing factor.

EDT organise one date for preliminary interviews which all take place in one big hall for the region. You attend your assigned interviews with different companies at pre-arranged times. They last for 10-15 minutes (if we remember correctly!) and it's quite a casual interaction where the employer learns a bit more about you and decides if you would be a good match (they already have your CV from EDT). You may then be offered one or more secondary interviews, which take place at the company's premises. Our interviews weren't that scary, but we did have to give a short presentation about a project that we had been involved in, which had to last for 5 minutes. General questions about the project, our interests in engineering and knowledge of their industry were asked afterwards. We then got a tour of the place with the then current YINIs and were sent on our merry way. They came back pretty quickly to us and we had 2 weeks to decide on a placement

One of us had an interview at Cambridge which was, in her words, a million times worse. They were very friendly and helped you in the interview and geniunely were interested in what you had to say.

I hadn't applied to uni when I decided to do a YINI, but I am now currently in the process and I have three offers, even though my grades aren't necessarily the typical offer. Doing a placement is definitely viewed very positively by universities because it shows real dedication to the subject and helps you manage your own time well. On a PS it would definitely give you a leg up and a lot to talk about as well.

I'm looking at Edinburgh and Exeter, mainly. We all have a wide variety of university options though.

Sorry for the text wall! Hope that helps. Any more questions please feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 16
Did anyone have to answer any academic questions or worked solution during the interview??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smariah
Did anyone have to answer any academic questions or worked solution during the interview??
Posted from TSR Mobile

I had an Assessment Day (interview included) last week with Delphi Diesel for an Engineering placement. They gave us, all 8 candidates, a practical task to do independently and then together as a whole team. Then we all had to sit 3 tests by ourselves which was followed by our individual interviews. The last thing we had to do was build an injector, obviously they'll help you.

During my interview there were no academic/solving type questions. It was those typical: "Why did you want to become an Engineer?", "Why are you considering taking a gap year?", "What are your strength/weaknesses?", "Did you have a different career ambition before considering Engineering?", "Why did you choose to do this particular course?" and etc.

Do you have an interview with a company?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Disney0702
I had an Assessment Day (interview included) last week with Delphi Diesel for an Engineering placement. They gave us, all 8 candidates, a practical task to do independently and then together as a whole team. Then we all had to sit 3 tests by ourselves which was followed by our individual interviews. The last thing we had to do was build an injector, obviously they'll help you.

During my interview there were no academic/solving type questions. It was those typical: "Why did you want to become an Engineer?", "Why are you considering taking a gap year?", "What are your strength/weaknesses?", "Did you have a different career ambition before considering Engineering?", "Why did you choose to do this particular course?" and etc.

Do you have an interview with a company?

Thanx... That was so helpful! I haven't got an interview yet but I am expecting one soon. Where are you applying from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smariah
Thanx... That was so helpful! I haven't got an interview yet but I am expecting one soon. Where are you applying from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying from London so I'll be looking for placements in the South East region.

Quick Reply

Latest