The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

is there an advantage if you took the interview in hongkong?
Original post by Amanda096
That sucks, but hopefully it shouldn't matter too much, especially if the person wasn't even meant to be there! What college was that at?

fitzwilliam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, sorry if my question is really obvious but I can't seem to find the answer - does anyone know the breakdown of the cambridge medical course (like what you study each term) or know where to find it?

Thanks in advance!
i just a quick question. in
wikipedia and most of the other sources i found on the internet ranked british universities in the following order
oxford
cambridge
lse
st adrews
durham
ucl
kings college of london

so i thought durham was better (or had a beter reputation) than ucl or kings
but i was shocked to find the QS world rankings where it ranked kings and ucl way higher than durham.
i just wanna know what you guys think.
hows the general reputation in the UK?
Original post by Addie16
Hi, sorry if my question is really obvious but I can't seem to find the answer - does anyone know the breakdown of the cambridge medical course (like what you study each term) or know where to find it?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.biology.cam.ac.uk/undergrads/mvst/course-details

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello - I'm a second year studying history at Cambridge, if anyone has any questions they'd like answering - please do ask!
Original post by kaka0920
i just a quick question. in
wikipedia and most of the other sources i found on the internet ranked british universities in the following order
oxford
cambridge
lse
st adrews
durham
ucl
kings college of london

so i thought durham was better (or had a beter reputation) than ucl or kings
but i was shocked to find the QS world rankings where it ranked kings and ucl way higher than durham.
i just wanna know what you guys think.
hows the general reputation in the UK?

my personal rankings
Cambridge
Oxford
imperial
After this It just varies a lot. Ucl would come 4th/5th or 6th no lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerlohee
What would you do on your year off? :smile:
Yeah I'm starting to think it may be a fun thing to do!
Could finally learn german, and maybe even "discover myself" in Thailand or Cambodia (or perhaps someplace else haha)
And it'd be nice cos you'd have a few unconditional offers under your belt, anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I'm from Thailand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Yeah I loved it when I went to interview :smile: the historical parts are pretty cool, I live in the suburbs so I do "tourist visits" to the centre. Everyone assumes I'm a tourist since I don't speak Greek with my friends so when I answer in Greek to the shopkeepers they get really happy and give me discounts :P
Where are you from yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh i see! We stayed at an apartment in the suburbs (couldn't tell you exactly where though) and it was lovely! So quiet. Haha that's brilliant!:biggrin: I would totally do the same!

South East England, pretty dull:redface:
Original post by aprocrastinator
Oh i see! We stayed at an apartment in the suburbs (couldn't tell you exactly where though) and it was lovely! So quiet. Haha that's brilliant!:biggrin: I would totally do the same!

South East England, pretty dull:redface:

Did the college provide you with that accommodation? (the college provided mine, it was awesome :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rovensie
I don't know :/

I never had any experience of learning a language to intermediate level other than Chinese and English (which I began at 4 years old :biggrin:)

But I think it should be quite easy? Like I learned Japanese years ago in school, spending 40 mins a week and was able to write diaries in Japanese in a year. And there're holidays. Plus, we don't spend all the 40mins studying :lol:

So I think if you really practice everyday, it is more than possible to be conversational in less than half a year's time. Not quite sure though :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy? Ooooo I wouldn't say that :wink:

They do say though that after you have mastered your first foreign language other ones are easier.
Original post by Rovensie
I'm not quite sure, as you know, learning a language as a native speaker can be quite different. So I have no idea whether to use GCSE or A Level textbooks.

However I may offer some suggestions on literature and poetry. The only concern is that the books might all seem to be a little bit too childish, and for poetry the majority of it would be written in ancient Chinese and is very different from the language we speak now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I feel a bit more comfortable reading I think I will try and read Chinese history as it makes sense to read something that I find interesting.

The tones are a bit annoying. It seems as though even the reader on the online dictionaries use varying tones when the tones are supposed to be the same. Does this rarely happen when speaking chinese? That someone uses the wrong tone or mishears the words, even though the differences can be immensely subtle or does your hearing become tuned to the nuances of different words?

I'm a bit stuck with the pronunciations of zh, j, z and x at the minute also haha,

EDIT: and R as well...

if you can reply, it may be better to send a PM :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aersh8
No, I stayed in the guest rooms right next to Hardy's :smile:

Ah right nice!
error!
(edited 9 years ago)
Is anyone thinking of reapplying next year if they don't get in this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied with deferred entry so technically I have another chance without even having to worry about my other unis, but I've found the whole process so horrifically stressful that I really don't want to put myself through it again. Unless maybe if I get incredible grades that gave me a very good chance of getting an offer, but otherwise no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone thinking of reapplying next year if they don't get in this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is my second time... And my God it's not looking good.
Original post by physicsmaths
my personal rankings
Cambridge
Oxford
imperial
After this It just varies a lot. Ucl would come 4th/5th or 6th no lower.
Posted from TSR Mobile

why not
1) Cambridge/ oxford
2) imperial/ warwick
3) ucl
Original post by MathMeister
why not
1) Cambridge/ oxford
2) imperial/ warwick
3) ucl

maybe not warwick so high. and lse must be up there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Well I've researched a few gap year schemes related to economics so hopefully that I guess:tongue:
Haha yep travelling would be so much fun!
I just want the letter sealing my fate now:rolleyes:

Ahh that sounds awesome! I might self-teach a couple maths module but I think that's as far as I'll go with making my gap year "relevant"!
Ugh I'm so ready lol- exactly three weeks though :redface:

well probably not for maths but i think the good step grades would give me the best chance. i would only reapply knowing i have a good chance of gettingg in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah lol maths. Wouldn't you j be able to redo step next year and get an even better score, or will they be able to see the STEP scores from this year, too??

That's the thing though like if I don't get in after reapplying I'd be really annoyed- like what was the point of my gap year lol.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
But I'm thinking, if I could do biochem/chem at Oxford, I could do Gem somewhere else

But yeah, volunteering and work experience and stuff would be good

Haha had to google GEM. But that sounds like a good option, too. But I've heard gem is sooo much more competitive :redface:

Original post by Saranploy
Lol I'm from Thailand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh awesome! I would ask more but I have no idea where in Thailand I'd go/what I'd do lol. It's so gorgeous there tho <3

Original post by 3LostContinents
I applied with deferred entry so technically I have another chance without even having to worry about my other unis, but I've found the whole process so horrifically stressful that I really don't want to put myself through it again. Unless maybe if I get incredible grades that gave me a very good chance of getting an offer, but otherwise no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oo what're you planning on doing in your gap year??
That's fair enough haha- UCAS can smd

Original post by bored565
This is my second time... And my God it's not looking good.

What're you doing in your gap????
Haha why'd you say that? I don't think there's anyone thinking it's looking amazing :tongue:
maybe not warwick so high. and lse must be up there.
Posted from TSR Mobile

warwick is officially 4th... you even applied
it is also great - any rg uni is especially if they're 4th and up :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending