The Student Room Group

Actuarial Graduate Programme with Pharmacy degree?

Hi everyone,

I currently study pharmacy at Nottingham University, but am strongly considering a career change to become an actuary.. Does anybody have any details/know of anybody that studied pharmacy but then changed to undertake a career in finance? Also, does anybody know how financial employers would view a pharmacy degree? I am worried they would not consider it to be a numerate degree.. However I do have an A* in A level maths, so would this compensate?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by hmurray165
Hi everyone,

I currently study pharmacy at Nottingham University, but am strongly considering a career change to become an actuary.. Does anybody have any details/know of anybody that studied pharmacy but then changed to undertake a career in finance? Also, does anybody know how financial employers would view a pharmacy degree? I am worried they would not consider it to be a numerate degree.. However I do have an A* in A level maths, so would this compensate?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry that you have done a pharmacy degree, and wanting to change to a role as an actuary. You have firstly a scientific background which is something which is looked at well in this discipline and your A* at A-level will help as well. Most places ask for an A at A -level math, so the fact that you have shown in (both cases listed above) a numerical focus on your educational background wont put you at a disadvantage.

In many cases doing a non traditional course before entering the profession can actually help in many applications. Companies these days in the 21st century love diversity, especially finance. Doing a pharmacy degree will intrigue them even more why you are interesting, but keeping that interest and being able to properly reconcile why you wish to make the change is very important.

There is someone on this forum who has in fact working as a junior actuary and she did her degree in english, so this should tell you like mentioned that diversity is something which is really looked well upon.

I would certainly apply regardless if your degree is not in maths,AS,stats, eco etc. As long as you have done research, are sure that this job is for you and explain that well in interviews and are eager to to learn and be prepared for a big learning curve, then I wouldn't consider not applying.
Reply 2
Thanks very much for the advice, I will make sure that I fully explain my reasoning for wanting to make the change in career (if I get an interview)! I know that there are plenty of 'mock' psychometric tests and the like online, but how do these compare to the real thing in the application process? Are the real ones much harder? As I said previously, thanks for the advice as its given me more confidence to apply!
Original post by hmurray165
Thanks very much for the advice, I will make sure that I fully explain my reasoning for wanting to make the change in career (if I get an interview)! I know that there are plenty of 'mock' psychometric tests and the like online, but how do these compare to the real thing in the application process? Are the real ones much harder? As I said previously, thanks for the advice as its given me more confidence to apply!

Regarding this tests, it varies hugely depending on the role and the company. In many cases I have had difficult and easy ones, and ones where I thought went well I got rejected and vice versa. This varies hugely.

The best bet I can tell you is to practice, practice, practice, ESPECIALLY the numerical and verbal reasoning tests. These two tests appear more frequent than any other and will 90% of the time be asked on least these two tests for actuarial roles (I'm not saying you will be asked 3,4,5,6 etc, the norm are these two tests, and sometimes these 2 plus a logical reasoning).

Are they much harder than the real? As I said this varies alot, sometimes yes sometimes no, but on average the resemble is high. Overall I wouldn't worry, as you increase the amount of practice and real tests, you will see that the tests are actually the easiest part of the application procedure par potentially the actual cv/cover letter. SHL are good at giving tests, so I'd say if you are comfortable with these then you you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending