The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MaGeehkaal
Yeah, March 30th- April 2nd

Ooo, if I can't land MS.. this may be a promising gig.

Given I even get invited to interviews :frown:
Original post by Anonynous
Ooo, if I can't land MS.. this may be a promising gig.

Given I even get invited to interviews :frown:

BNPP are way less competitive than MS, you've done a good job to get to the interview stage so i doubt BNPP will give you a hard time :smile:
BNPP are way less competitive than MS, you've done a good job to get to the interview stage so i doubt BNPP will give you a hard time :smile:

It's all a huge numbers game. Probability theory.
It's all a huge numbers game. Probability theory.

elaborate please haha
elaborate please haha

X number of candidates apply. X*75% are probably candidates with a good profile (meet the requirements/go to decent university).

Suppose X is on the lower end 5000-6000, those with a decent shot 3750 (per bank~). Now assume each bank takes 60 people that's a 1:62.5 ratio. Even if the figures aren't correct, it gives a decent analogy of what I'm trying to connote.

You can have a solid profile but regardless the numbers are swayed heavily against you.

I mean there's obviously the outstanding candidate who will get 3-4+ Spring Week offers but in its entirety it's pretty difficult to seperate first year students with little to no prior banking experience and who all have A*s/As in A levels.
Investment banking seems like a very good job. Is it boring?
X number of candidates apply. X*75% are probably candidates with a good profile (meet the requirements/go to decent university).

Suppose X is on the lower end 5000-6000, those with a decent shot 3750 (per bank~). Now assume each bank takes 60 people that's a 1:62.5 ratio. Even if the figures aren't correct, it gives a decent analogy of what I'm trying to connote.

You can have a solid profile but regardless the numbers are swayed heavily against you.

I mean there's obviously the outstanding candidate who will get 3-4+ Spring Week offers but in its entirety it's pretty difficult to seperate first year students with little to no prior banking experience and who all have A*s/As in A levels.

this. The number of applicants would have to be significantly less to actually make a difference...
Original post by chromesilver7
Investment banking seems like a very good job. Is it boring?

This isn't really the thread to be asking these types of questions. Apply for the spring insight programmes and take a look for yourself.

The answers you would get would be purely subjective and no real help to you. Do you like number crunching and formulating excel models? Do you like pricing financial products?
Original post by ProjectNr2
this. The number of applicants would have to be significantly less to actually make a difference...

I can tell you, last year BNPP received substantially less applicants than say CS by a good margin. Think BNPP only had around 800 in total or something, it wasn't many relative to other big banks. But they only take about 25 people so roughly a 3.125% acceptance rate. Places like MS the acceptance rate is more like 1.2% for IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by will2348
I can tell you, last year BNPP received substantially less applicants than say CS by a good margin. Think BNPP only had around 800 in total or something, it wasn't many relative to other big banks. But they only take about 25 people so roughly a 3.125% acceptance rate. Places like MS the acceptance rate is more like 1.2%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn thank you. Extremly interesting those numbers. Do you have something like a source where there are more of those or is that just what you calculated yourself?
Original post by ProjectNr2
damn thank you. Extremly interesting those numbers. Do you have something like a source where there are more of those or is that just what you calculated yourself?

BNPP is from HR, CS I know had a fair bit into the thousands (a friend said) and the MS figures are based on a news report from Google (Search: 'Morgan Stanley Rejects 90,000 Applications') < imagine it is similar for SWs. Obviously it varies year on year a fair bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Sort of yes...
Original post by chromesilver7
Sort of yes...

When responding, quote the user you respond to.

What's your educational profile?

What year of study?/University?/Degree?
guys do you think we'll hear from banks in for the next 15 days or so ? (do they close for like christmas/new year periods)

cheers
Original post by vmwl
Just motivation and competency with some commercial awareness

Hi man! Congrats on that, but I don't quite understand: Did you have a first round telephone interview with MS for their Spring and now you are going to have the final round interview already? And if so, how was the first round interview like?

Would greatly appreciate your help!
Original post by Atty
yeah, all of them

Would you be so kind as to list all the 22 spring weeks you have applied to? I am so disappointed of myself right now...
Original post by Hody421
If i may, which uni?

It's not a target university
Original post by ^forthedream^
would you be so kind as to list all the 22 spring weeks you have applied to? I am so disappointed of myself right now...

barclays
rbs
goldman sachs
nomura
bank of america
rothschild
bnp paribas
rbc capital markets insight day
bp (ist insight)
ey (insight into)
pwc
kpmg
deloitte
hsbc
shell
ubs
credit suisse
citigroup
deutsche bank
j.p. Morgan
morgan stanley
oliver wyman
mckinsey&co
blackrock
icap
lazard
Original post by CD315
Done all tests for RBS and Citi. Offer from BAML. Waiting to hear from Nomura, CS, MS, GS, Rothschild and Lazard. Sending Barclays off this weekend too. Not sure if I've left any out..

Guessing you forgot JPM?
Congrats on your offer from BAML!
May I ask for which division?
Reply 2999
Original post by The-Illusionist
Guessing you forgot JPM?
Congrats on your offer from BAML!
May I ask for which division?

I actually missed JPM's deadline, even though it was extended haha.

It was for Global Markets.

Latest

Trending

Trending