The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ucl art history

Basically I have been offered a place to study UCL art history, I did not apply for cambridge art history, but i have the grades, have done allot of wider reading and generally think I would make a strong applicant. therefore is it worth me waiting a year and re-applying for cambridge or are my career prospects and success the same if i go to UCL and therefore not worth taking a year out. it seems all the famous art historians and directors etc/ went to oxbridge to study AH, eg alistair sooke, kenneth clark, eddie redmayne, claudia from strictly etc.

Also while i have not yet been offered a place i have applied for the courtauld for AH also for undergrad degree, does anyone know how good this institution is for BA, but i know it is very good for masters? whats the success rate like and actually student life?

this is a massive weight on my mind and thoughts and ideas on things that i have raised will be much appreciated
Original post by richardshayle123
Basically I have been offered a place to study UCL art history, I did not apply for cambridge art history, but i have the grades, have done allot of wider reading and generally think I would make a strong applicant. therefore is it worth me waiting a year and re-applying for cambridge or are my career prospects and success the same if i go to UCL and therefore not worth taking a year out. it seems all the famous art historians and directors etc/ went to oxbridge to study AH, eg alistair sooke, kenneth clark, eddie redmayne, claudia from strictly etc.

Also while i have not yet been offered a place i have applied for the courtauld for AH also for undergrad degree, does anyone know how good this institution is for BA, but i know it is very good for masters? whats the success rate like and actually student life?

this is a massive weight on my mind and thoughts and ideas on things that i have raised will be much appreciated

If we're talking 'famous art historians and directors etc'...

Courtauld alumni include: T.J. Clark, Griselda Pollock, and Anita Brookner for the art historians, and Nicholas Serota (Tate), Thomas Campbell (Met NYC), Neil MacGregor (National Gallery/British Museum) for the museum directors. Just to name a few.

So no, they didn't 'all' go to Oxbridge.

If you're debating about choosing UCL vs. the Courtauld, the Courtauld is definitely the more prestigious programme of the two. UCL is great, but for History of Art (both undergrad and postgraduate) the Courtauld is top banana.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Congratulations on your offer! I am still waiting for offers from both Ucl and Courtauld but I am doubtful of getting a place now that it is so late. Did you have to write a written assignment for ucl? Have you heard from Courtauld?
Original post by PutTheArtInParty
If we're talking 'famous art historians and directors etc'...

Courtauld alumni include: T.J. Clark, Griselda Pollock, and Anita Brookner for the art historians, and Nicholas Serota (Tate), Thomas Campbell (Met NYC), Neil MacGregor (National Gallery/British Museum) for the museum directors. Just to name a few.

So no, they didn't 'all' go to Oxbridge.

If you're debating about choosing UCL vs. the Courtauld, the Courtauld is definitely the more prestigious programme of the two. UCL is great, but for History of Art (both undergrad and postgraduate) the Courtauld is top banana.

I did some research though into the history of those art historians and they all did their BA at Oxbridge or a BA in Law and then went to the courtauld for their MA.

Is the courtauld primarily only good for its MA course?

But at UCL i heard that they are not helpful in finding you a career after

any thoughts?
Original post by aldaleee
Congratulations on your offer! I am still waiting for offers from both Ucl and Courtauld but I am doubtful of getting a place now that it is so late. Did you have to write a written assignment for ucl? Have you heard from Courtauld?

I have had interview at courtauld waiting to hear now
Reply 5
anyone received an answer from UCL history of art MA (2015-2016) ?
Reply 6
Hey ! did you receive any answer ?
:smile:
Original post by aldaleee
Reply 7
Anybody has received an answer from UCL history of art MA ?

Quick Reply