The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

PGCE 2014 Applicants QUB (Queen's University Belfast)

Scroll to see replies

Agreed, I still have no idea what I'll be asked and I don't think anyone who has done an English interview this year has said that. They probably ask different questions to different candidates.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
They absolutely do. Best of luck with your own. We are all in the same boat. No doubt we will still be here months down the line wondering when we will be hearing back from Queens. Hopefully the wait isn't too hateful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, I've seen previous years English was last to hear back. :/

I think they probably base their questions on what you say on your application, so more getting to know the individual better and what they can offer. Of course that could be entirely wrong.
I'm hoping you're right on that one victoria! What I wrote in my personal statement is about the only thing I can speak on with any confidence!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 304
Hi everyone, I've applied to PGCE English before and have applied this year again. I still haven't had any word back so, I contacted the school of education who informed that English is the subject which received the highest volume of applications and it is taking them some time to work there way through everyone. More interview dates are to be confirmed. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to be interviewed. From previous years it has been a question bank of 20 questions and they don't ask everyone the same but they will ask 5 questions in total which everyone will cover similar answers. As places have been cut this year and they know the exact number that will be getting on to the course it won't take as long for you to be notified as to whether or not you've been successful or not. It was always the department of education who held on ages to giving out the quota of numbers to each subject. That's all I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks Davina. Good news that it won't take as long to hear back. I wonder how many they interview. I just heard yesterday I had an interview, so only starting preparing today. It is going to be a fun weekend :s-smilie:
Original post by kerry214
Has anyone had an offer of an interview yet for PGCE with Biology?

I got offered an interview for the Biology PGCE on the 3rd of February. Have you heard anything yet??
One hour and counting to my interview! It's hard to believe it's all come around so quickly. Easily the fastest fortnight of my life. Many thanks to everyone here who has offered their words of wisdom and support. Best of luck to you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 308
They usually interview around 100. That's what I've always been told. VERY competitive! Doesn't give us much hope when they interview so many. Best of luck to you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, it is very daunting if they interview 100 for 12 places. I don't envy them having to decide who makes the cut. It can't be easy for them, as obviously everyone really wants a place. So many people left disappointed and frustrated, of which I'll no doubt be one, with those odds stacked against us, but trying to be positive.

How did your interview go KierClarke? Must be a relief to have it over you. Hope you came out feeling you did your best, although I never feel that after an interview!
To be brutally honest I don't know how I've done. It was over in a flash even though I'm sure it must have taken around 15/20 minutes. The panel was lovely, very friendly and seemingly just want to know about the person they are interviewing. There was more I wish I had have said but I think my nerves got the better of me. It's going to be a very long wait to hear back now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Han please refer to my previous comment regarding the fact that for this kind of interview the variety of questions than can be asked is finite. I've been on this forum for months and I had no more help from this forum from when I started posting until today. Even the other interviewees I spoke with in person yesterday said the format never changes. It's always going to be the same handful of questions ( which I have NOT posted here) that are freely available to read in any guide aimed at student teachers. So please unclutch your pearls. Good luck to everyone interviewing next week!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also agree HanLea. It might be worth remembering this from the TSR guidelines: Use your common sense when discussing interviews - please don’t give other people an unfair advantage.
Reply 313
Original post by KierClarke
Han please refer to my previous comment regarding the fact that for this kind of interview the variety of questions than can be asked is finite. I've been on this forum for months and I had no more help from this forum from when I started posting until today. Even the other interviewees I spoke with in person yesterday said the format never changes. It's always going to be the same handful of questions ( which I have NOT posted here) that are freely available to read in any guide aimed at student teachers. So please unclutch your pearls. Good luck to everyone interviewing next week!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you not understanding how unfair that is? If I had written on here on Monday what I had been asked you dont think youd have gone away and prepared specifc well-planned answers just incase. Stop posting what you were asked as it gives an unfair advantage to people who should be answering the questions just like all the rest of us had to.
How do people in this have an unfair advantage?! One user commented to be prepared for a questions asking 'why do you want to be a teacher?' That's not exactly secret knowledge, of course we're going to be asked that. To be fair, nothing bar very obvious things regarding the interview have been said on this, don't see where the unfair advantage is
Reply 315
Well then read a little closer because that isnt the only question mentioned over the last week and yesterday.

And I'm obviously not the only one thinking this!
One commenter also said to expect a question about changes to the curriculum, which the letter inviting you to an interview also says, "candidates should expect a question on the NI curriculum." Nothing on here has been revelatory
Reply 317
Thats not what I am referring to
Please don't discuss details of questions at interviews. It gives people an unfair advantage and is against the TSR rules.

Neostigmine
Uni Mod
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KMcintyre
I got offered an interview for the Biology PGCE on the 3rd of February. Have you heard anything yet??

Im up on the 3rd too, what time is yours?

two girls on my course also have interviews, one tomorrow and one on Monday.

Quick Reply

Latest