The Student Room Group

struggling to find an answer to this job interview question...

Hello :smile::smile:

I have an interview on Monday with a company that I would love to work for, and I really really want this job! I am preparing myself right now and Im stuck a bit on how I should answer the 'Why would you be good candidate'?

The company offers a great training programme that I would love to be part of as it is what I want to do in future, Im struggling how can I professionally put these in a sentence without sounding desperate. Im also trying to say that I would take this very seriously and take the biggest advantage of this programme and never throw this opportunity or the knowledge 'to the bin' like other candidates could.

Thank you!
Original post by blondiezombie
Hello :smile::smile:

I have an interview on Monday with a company that I would love to work for, and I really really want this job! I am preparing myself right now and Im stuck a bit on how I should answer the 'Why would you be good candidate'?

The company offers a great training programme that I would love to be part of as it is what I want to do in future, Im struggling how can I professionally put these in a sentence without sounding desperate. Im also trying to say that I would take this very seriously and take the biggest advantage of this programme and never throw this opportunity or the knowledge 'to the bin' like other candidates could.

Thank you!

There's a subtle but important difference between the questions "why have you applied for the job" and "why would you be a good candidate?"

Things like the great training programme would come under why you want the job. You need to tell them why you want them.

When asked "why would you be a good candidate", on the other hand, you need to tell them why they should want you! You need to have a look at the key skills of the job and quickly sum up your skills in relation to them.

For example, if it's a graduate accounting job (just hypothetically), a typical answer could be "I have an accounting degree, I have done several work experience placements where I've developed my knowledge of real-life practice, I'm familiar with the accounting software you asked for, you mentioned a small team in the job spec and on both my placements I was working in a small but busy team so am used to having to share responsibilities to get the job done."

Basically take what you know they're looking for and list the ways in which you have it!

Quick Reply

Latest