The Student Room Group

Anyone ever been offered several graduate jobs?

Basically I'm a finalist for this internship, I had the final interview on Tuesday and feel I have a pretty good shot (Will find out Monday)

However it's not my first choice of place to go. Basically if they offer me the job can I accept it and then pull out if something better comes up?
Reply 1
Original post by orange crush
Basically I'm a finalist for this internship, I had the final interview on Tuesday and feel I have a pretty good shot (Will find out Monday)

However it's not my first choice of place to go. Basically if they offer me the job can I accept it and then pull out if something better comes up?

Internship in the post, grad job in the title - confusing!

Usually, yes. Depends when your contract starts and the notice period length.
Original post by M1011
Internship in the post, grad job in the title - confusing!

Usually, yes. Depends when your contract starts and the notice period length.

In my case it's an internship, however the two processes are one and the same, I believe? (When I was being interviewed there were a mixture of candidates)
Reply 3
Original post by orange crush
In my case it's an internship, however the two processes are one and the same, I believe? (When I was being interviewed there were a mixture of candidates)

You've given no indication as to where you're applying, so couldn't possibly tell you if the application process is the same for grad/intern I'm afraid. Ordinarily I'd say they aren't, but in some cases they most likely are.

Anyway, back on point, look at the notice period on the contract you're given says. If you have a 1 month notice period, and it's not due to start until the summer (I assume), then at any point you can hand in your notice and never have to start, so long as it's 1 month before the internship starts. That's from a strictly following your contract perspective, in reality they are unlikely to try and force you to come even if you didn't give 1 month notice - they wouldn't want to bother with a unwilling intern.

All that said, be aware that you're burning bridges by declining an accepted offer, so be sure of your decision first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending