The Student Room Group

Training contracts 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi all

I applied for a training xontract speculatively in July last year. In September I recieved confirmation that I had been invited to interview which would take place early in 2015. The email said they would be in touch un due course to provide a date in time.

I haven't received anything from them since the September email. From what I can see they normally hold interviews in Feb of each year. Should I chase them up or wait a bit longer?

Thanks!
Original post by Chianti1
Has anybody heard from Freshfields?

i'm waiting for them too, i applied mid december but they haven't gotten back to me since...
Original post by school_freak
i'm waiting for them too, i applied mid december but they haven't gotten back to me since...

I submitted mine in late December, hopefully we should hear back soon as the submission deadline was 6 days ago.
TC interviews at Allen and Overy and Freshfields coming up, just waiting to hear back from Slaughters now...

Good luck everyone!
Reply 124
Had an interview with Hogan Lovells on Wednesday and they offered me a TC starting in 2017! Just sent the paperwork off today, ecstatic! Only my third interview as well, the first two weren't so good but luckily Freshfields/Slaughter and May provided me with some great feedback that meant I pulled it off third time lucky!
Original post by LGF92
Had an interview with Hogan Lovells on Wednesday and they offered me a TC starting in 2017! Just sent the paperwork off today, ecstatic! Only my third interview as well, the first two weren't so good but luckily Freshfields/Slaughter and May provided me with some great feedback that meant I pulled it off third time lucky!

Fabulous news. Congratulations!
Original post by FuzzySheep
TC interviews at Allen and Overy and Freshfields coming up, just waiting to hear back from Slaughters now...

Good luck everyone!

Good luck!!
Anyone had a final interview with Travers Smith? No idea how it's going to be different from the first one I had last week!
Would be interested to know if anyone has got a TC/knows someone who has gotten one without attending any vac schemes? I'm struggling to get one and not sure if this is because I'm not their target audience exactly (not a current student - did law as a postgrad and am currently in full time work) - I don't know whether it's worth my while applying straight for TC rather than worrying about vac schemes? I have a lot of work experience including some legal. Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by elmopsk
Would be interested to know if anyone has got a TC/knows someone who has gotten one without attending any vac schemes? I'm struggling to get one and not sure if this is because I'm not their target audience exactly (not a current student - did law as a postgrad and am currently in full time work) - I don't know whether it's worth my while applying straight for TC rather than worrying about vac schemes? I have a lot of work experience including some legal. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would suggest applying for direct training contracts. If you're a non-law student, Norton Rose and Slaughters are still open.
Expecting to be rejected by AO after interview, 4 weeks wait so far on a Slaughters response...
Expecting to be rejected by AO after interview, 4 weeks wait so far on a Slaughters response...

I am having my A&O ac next Tues.... any tips?

Had my freshfields interview last Fri but still no response... is it always the case that offer comes via a call next day and after that its only gonna be rejection by emails...:frown::frown: i felt I did alright and got on well with the interviewers .. but the fact that interviewers are super nice may easily give the wrong impression....
Original post by Snowblink
I am having my A&O ac next Tues.... any tips?

Had my freshfields interview last Fri but still no response... is it always the case that offer comes via a call next day and after that its only gonna be rejection by emails...:frown::frown: i felt I did alright and got on well with the interviewers .. but the fact that interviewers are super nice may easily give the wrong impression....

Competency is relatively straight forward so just have good examples ready. I screwed up the case study - it's designed to stress you out because you're given so much information to get through. If you don't know something, just read through it carefully and make sure you answer all the questions really. I'm still waiting to hear but am pretty sure it won't have gone in my favour, but the key thing is really to relax and think logically - none of the prep I did really made the difference. The grad rec team are lovely too :smile:

Similarly any advice for Freshfields' AC? I've got an interview in a few weeks :smile:
Competency is relatively straight forward so just have good examples ready. I screwed up the case study - it's designed to stress you out because you're given so much information to get through. If you don't know something, just read through it carefully and make sure you answer all the questions really. I'm still waiting to hear but am pretty sure it won't have gone in my favour, but the key thing is really to relax and think logically - none of the prep I did really made the difference. The grad rec team are lovely too :smile:

Similarly any advice for Freshfields' AC? I've got an interview in a few weeks :smile:

I also had A&O - was your competency interview with grad rec/partner? Also have freshfields later in the week eek..
Original post by givemegoodnews
I also had A&O - was your competency interview with grad rec/partner? Also have freshfields later in the week eek..

My competency was with someone from grad rec, case study with partner :smile:
My competency was with someone from grad rec, case study with partner :smile:

Same. When did you have it? Had mine last Tuesday and still haven't heard!
Original post by givemegoodnews
Same. When did you have it? Had mine last Tuesday and still haven't heard!

Just on Friday so might be a wait to go for me! I was told I'd hear some time this week so I'm sure you'll hear soon enough.

Both my interviews were with a partner and an associate ... the general interview is quite personal, there are a few typical why law why us questions but mostly specific to your application form and the answer you've given... the analytical interview is based on an FT article, about 2 sides on A4 (was expecting to be longer..so actually no rush in reading it during the 20min)... my advice is probably to make notes on the article rather than on separate papers.. since when they are questioning, they tend to refer to paragraph number., it will be handy if you can see your notes just while you are refering to that paragraph.. all my interviewers are quite nice -- but i think its important dont let that disarm you completely and remember to remain to present yourself in a professional manner....i thinks thats where i did wrong (i was getting too comfortable)
Just got rejected from A&O - fair enough really!
Just got rejected from A&O - fair enough really!

Aw sorry to hear that! Did they give you any feedback? Still have ff though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending