The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Why is Sussex seriously dropping down league tables?

In the Complete University Guide it's dropped from 21st to 31st overall and by a whopping 49 places in The Guardian's to 50th. I wanted to apply for Biology there but this is putting me off the idea. I know you have to take the rankings with a pinch of salt and they're not very reliable but this seems pretty extreme. I heard they were making some significant cuts, is this having a negative impact upon them?

Opinions and advice appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
39*
They'll bounce back, I thought it was to do with the student protests? I'm taking it as a good thing, their offer is AAB but because no ones applying, their clearing was BBB last year. So if all else fails it could be my backup :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
because it's pretty bad?
Sussex had 'protest problems' on campus last year because of moves to privatise cleaning contracts etc., As a result, many students felt aggrieved towards the Uni and hit back 'through things like the student satisfaction survey.

League Table are based on nebulous things like 'major research grants' - which have no actual impact on undergrad degree courses. Dont use these tables to choose a Uni - go to an Open Day and see for yourself. Sussex is a smaller campus with a great village atmosphere, is in one of the best student towns in Britain, is by the seaside and within 50 mins train ride of London. Whats not to like?
Reply 4
I'm afraid I agree with an earlier post, because it's pretty bad. In 2012 when the fees were £3000 a postgrad year, a good 50% of that was wasted on a Film Studies course that failed me and then carried on in class like nothing had happened. That was the extent of their interest.
I really think that they let almost anyone, I transferred from there to a Russell group because almost everyone didn't get as good grades as me and I thought, why am I here? so letting in bad students will correlate to league tables.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by loshielep
In the Complete University Guide it's dropped from 21st to 31st overall and by a whopping 49 places in The Guardian's to 50th. I wanted to apply for Biology there but this is putting me off the idea. I know you have to take the rankings with a pinch of salt and they're not very reliable but this seems pretty extreme. I heard they were making some significant cuts, is this having a negative impact upon them?

League tables are a bit over rated, and universities are always hopping up and down them. Some of the comments on this thread are justified, in the sense that it is irritating that they insist on outsourcing everything at the university of sussex (though frankly this is taking place at most universities and is a complete disaster) and students are right to respond through the national student survey (in my opinion it's likely to result in being taken far more seriously than occupations and protests from a few shouty students).

That said, the Biology department at Sussex is excellent, the campus is lovely and Brighton is amazing. If it reassures you, Biology has 97% student satisfaction at sussex, stats are here:
http://www.unistats.com/Subjects/Overview/10007806FT-29967/ReturnTo/Search
Original post by Tolaaa
I really think that they let almost anyone, I transferred from there to a Russell group because almost everyone didn't get as good grades as me and I thought, why am I hear? so letting in bad students will correlate to league tables.

Probably because you can't spell.

Spoiler

The fact that certain universities bounce up and down the rankings tables from year to year shows you the inaccuracy of rankings tables in giving an accurate reflection of being able to compare between universities.

If they were really accurate then you would get changing shifts over time, some would gradually slip down, others would gradually move up, you would not get these huge jumps up and then falls. Sussex was ranked 11th in 2012 and 50th in 2014 that is a pretty unlikely change in the relative position in that space of time.

More than likely in a year or two time we will hear that Sussex is ranked 18th or something and their website will carry a press release saying "Sussex is the biggest improver' "Sussex jumps 32 places..."
it's dropped... by a whopping 49 places in The Guardian's to 50th

When was Sussex ranked the 2nd best university in the country by The Guardian?
Reply 10

Here are Sussex's entry standards in 2013,2014.

2013 381 (37th)
2014 403 (35th)

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry

Sussex in general have smarter students than 2013.

The main reason why CUG ranked sussex much lower is because "Graduate Prospects" dramatically dropped down from 2013 (71.1% => 61.5%), whereas the scores of other universities were much more stable (e.g. Surry 72.5% => 71.2%, Leicester 65.1% => 69.5%).

So because this drop is "pretty extreme", the overall ranking position also dropped down extremely.

I don't know the reason why the graduate prospects are so bad. Sometimes it's just a result of miscalculation. Generally speaking, it's nearly impossible that the reputation of one university has been completely changed among employers in only 1 year.
The employment stats rely on graduates actually responding to a letter/email and telling the Uni what they are doing.
Any non-response is recorded as 'unknown' and this can badly sway figures, making it look like 'not many grads got jobs'. And 'employed' can mean 'stacking shelves in Tescos' btw - and again this is a hidden reality amongst the so-called 'employed'.

Whichever way you look at it, these sort of figures are misleading and not a reliable way of choosing a University.
Reply 12

Have a read from the link below on why:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/staff/newsandevents/?id=19662

Sussex all-in-all is a great university, it is relatively new as well (just celebrated it's 50th anniversary last year). Its making major impact on the tables as it is young, as it used to be ranked top 15 for maths. However, it will be back up in the top 25.
Reply 13
Well my friend goes there now and she has told me it has been having week long strikes every other week from lecturers and on her film studies and English course no one is English.
Reply 14
Original post by ladynova
Well my friend goes there now and she has told me it has been having week long strikes every other week from lecturers and on her film studies and English course no one is English.

The strikes haven't effected my learning in any way, unless you are of course part of the strike. As for film studies i don't know. That's what make Sussex great, students voice their opinion. Overall Sussex is a great uni.
Reply 15
Okay, I study biomedical science which is under the life sciences department along with biology, and I can tell you exactly what Sussex science is about.

Right, first off do some research on the lecturers. Sussex has a fantastic genome centre, and multiple award winning lecturers who are the researchers gaining very prestigious awards. Recently when we was learning about genetics they was explaining to us a brand new gene they have discovered that impacts on promoter / terminator regions. I cannot fault the lecturers, they are really at the top of their game - and are enthusiastic about what they are teaching. This is reflected by the fact the head of department is a member of the royal society.

The exams are done throughout the module and there is an awful lot of practical work to do. Im in the lab at least once or twice a week for my course.

The protests that hit last year reflect on the drop in the table. However, whilst occasionally you get some students trying to occupy a building it gives life to the university. Theres always something going on, its never boring. Theres always some protest or debate going on, and it divides opinion at the uni! I personally love it, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

As for you fear for the cuts, I haven't seen anything that would limit my learning. The library is EXTENSIVE, and the bookshop on campus means your books cost less than if you bought them elsewhere. We have more equipment in the labs than you could possibly need - and I have between 11-18 hours per week last term, with 11-21 hours next term. This is more than other unis.

So, in conclusion. I cannot speak from perspective of history or law, but solely for life sciences I can tell you that there is no reason why you should fear the drop in the tables. The cuts haven't affected me at all, the lecturers are top notch and are always available via email or drop in. (They run workshops where you can drop in if you don't understand anything, with pHD students there too incase you don't want to approach the lecturer personally)

Feel free to message me if you wanna know anything else or have anymore questions about applying to sussex:smile:
Original post by returnmigrant
Sussex had 'protest problems' on campus last year because of moves to privatise cleaning contracts etc., As a result, many students felt aggrieved towards the Uni and hit back 'through things like the student satisfaction survey.

League Table are based on nebulous things like 'major research grants' - which have no actual impact on undergrad degree courses. Dont use these tables to choose a Uni - go to an Open Day and see for yourself. Sussex is a smaller campus with a great village atmosphere, is in one of the best student towns in Britain, is by the seaside and within 50 mins train ride of London. Whats not to like?

you're totally wrong. As Sussex is a research intensive university the number of grants received would have a positive impact on its ranking and the guardian have stated that the student satisfaction data used was from the year before the protests. So pretty much the opposite of what you have said is true.
Honestly? I will be finishing next year and it's been a pretty shoddy experience, both myself and a handful of my friends have nearly dropped out several times due to how neglected the services are, and no one knows how to do their job at the university (they pass the buck like no tomorrow and ignore formal complaints from students a vast majority of the time). There's a reason there was protests, the chancellor is selling the university off to private companies, such as Sussex facilities, that pocket the money for refurbishments for the accommodation (nothing like blood, mold and damp on the walls and dead rodents in the kitchen when you're paying nearly 120 pounds a week for a tiny single room that has furniture rotting in it - but hey don't worry, the campus accommodation is slightly nicer, but you'll pay a good £140 a week for a single room to get something 'decent').

Not to mention they way they treat the international students. They raised the price of their tuition fees after their first year of study from 12k to 16k without warning. A close friend of mine was also told she was getting an en suite room by herself, arrived after a 15 hour flight, only to be put into a shared room with 3 other people living in it already.

Some of the schools are okay, but a lot of the tutors have left due to having their hours and wages cut (the chancellor pocketing the money basically), or not believing in how the services are being sold off. A handful of decent tutors and members of staff have left to protest how they're treated as employees. Some of the schools aren't so good, with the tutors not turning up to classes, and if they do, some don't even know what they're talking about. But then again, it depends on the school. Some are better than others, but after three years, I haven't learnt much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SugarPuddle
Honestly? I will be finishing next year and it's been a pretty shoddy experience, both myself and a handful of my friends have nearly dropped out several times due to how neglected the services are, and no one knows how to do their job at the university (they pass the buck like no tomorrow and ignore formal complaints from students a vast majority of the time). There's a reason there was protests, the chancellor is selling the university off to private companies, such as Sussex facilities, that pocket the money for refurbishments for the accommodation (nothing like blood, mold and damp on the walls and dead rodents in the kitchen when you're paying nearly 120 pounds a week for a tiny single room that has furniture rotting in it - but hey don't worry, the campus accommodation is slightly nicer, but you'll pay a good £140 a week for a single room to get something 'decent').

Not to mention they way they treat the international students. They raised the price of their tuition fees after their first year of study from 12k to 16k without warning. A close friend of mine was also told she was getting an en suite room by herself, arrived after a 15 hour flight, only to be put into a shared room with 3 other people living in it already.

Some of the schools are okay, but a lot of the tutors have left due to having their hours and wages cut (the chancellor pocketing the money basically), or not believing in how the services are being sold off. A handful of decent tutors and members of staff have left to protest how they're treated as employees. Some of the schools aren't so good, with the tutors not turning up to classes, and if they do, some don't even know what they're talking about. But then again, it depends on the school. Some are better than others, but after three years, I haven't learnt much.

I was planning on firming Sussex but this has totally spooked me? What course did you do? I was planning in geography.. :frown:
Original post by curlycurly
I was planning on firming Sussex but this has totally spooked me? What course did you do? I was planning in geography.. :frown:

Sounds like I'm at an entirely different university if I'm perfectly honest. I absolutely adore my course, my school (Lifesci - I do biomed) is great. The tutors are always available, the course is engaging, the online facilities of lecture recording etc are great. The library is massive with almost any book you'd ever need for your course. The campus is right on the sussex downs so in first year i went and walked on the downs a lot, but its close enough to brighton for the amazing club and party life - but brighton also has a massive cultural scene. The north laine and the lanes are lovely, so many live music events going on all the time. Always something to do, the beach the pier... and its right on your doorstep.

Its a great cross between being in the city, and being in nature, and I love it.

A LOT of people here will butthurt this university though, simply because we have one of the largest most politically active group of left wing students going. They're all over activism, unfair tuition fees, grants for palestinians, you name it they've protested about it.

You're tuition fees won't be skyrocketing as soon as you arrive, and you won't be placed in a room with 3 other people in it. Ludicrous. I dont know of anyone at all who that happened to across any accommodation. True the accommodation is quite expensive, but you will find that in general for brighton. If you want cheap as chips accommodation, you're better off going up north. South is pricier, not as bad as london, but its not cheap!

In all my time here (second year), I've never had a lecturer not turn up, and I've never EVER encountered a lecturer who does not know what they're talking about. Quite on contrary infact, most of my lecturers are drs/professors and are ahead of the textbooks that published, so we get up to date info that they're researching themselves!

If you liked sussex, please dont be put off by the stupid wannabe activists who whinge and moan about the chancellor. He said he hadnt learnt much, and honestly I imagine its because he's spent most of his time engaging in sit ins, protests and marches in an attempt to rage against the government (in this case the uni leadership). I can imagine his type, the uni has a fair few! Go ahead and google the sussex5. We aren't all like that, its a very small minority, but they're the minority who generally shout the loudest!

As for the international student thing, we ranked 46 in the entire world for international students coming here. If we treated them that badly, we'd be way down. The geography department is also very good I've heard, its highly ranked i believe and was rated as world leading research in the latest assessments..

If you want honest advice about sussex drop me an email. But for the love of god if you liked it dont be put off by some whining 3rd year!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply