The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kimberlymegsx
Could someone explain to me please what a 'medical degree with foundation year' is? Thanks in advance

I'm not an expert but I think this is where you don't do the right a levels, so have an extra preliminary year to get you to the same standard. Only some units offer this though.
[QUOTE="orangeee22;53209301"]
Original post by Kimberlymegsx
Could someone explain to me please what a 'medical degree with foundation year' is? Thanks in advance

I'm not an expert but I think this is where you don't do the right a levels, so have an extra preliminary year to get you to the same standard. Only some units offer this though.

Ah ok, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doctor.Zoo
Hello, i would like to study medicine. I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Health & Social Care (BTECH) for my AS. My GCSE grades were 1A* 2A's 4B's 4C's. Which universities do you think will accept me? I am thinking of applying to Exeter and Plymouth. Can someone help me please? Thank you

I've moved this to the "Ultimate am I good enough for medicine" thread in the medicine forum for you.
Original post by emilytjones
I've been predicted A*AAAAAAABBB (A* in Chemistry) and I was wondering if those are ok grades for gcse (I plan on getting a few more A* as I really messed up in my end of year exams haha)
I thought they were okay but then my friend (Who is predicted 10A* and 2A's) said that she didn't think she was clever enough to be a doctor and it kind of worried me.

Also how much harder is chemistry as/a level than gcse, like will I struggle if I get an A or below at gcse or even A*? thankss

I think main thing is don't be too disheartened by predictions because you can always do so much better when you realise what stage you are at. For med, depends on where you want to apply, but I would suggest try to gain more a* grades. Look back at your end of years and see which areas you need to focus more on. There will always be people who want to get the maximum top grade they can so getting 10 a* rather than 12 seems like the end of the world but it really isn't. With applying to uni they are generally more focused on your a level grades (again this depends on which uni you apply to). The jump from gcse to a level (aqa to edexcel for me) I found was quite Hard as the intensity of the work increases and concepts become harder to grasp but I think that is for the majority of people. That said the jump from a level to first year med is double this jump!
Someone please tell me if I should have barts or Aberdeen as my No. 1 choice. I hope to apply to the following: Barts/Aberdeen
Brighton and Sussex
Leeds
Newcastle
Original post by NightStarz
I think main thing is don't be too disheartened by predictions because you can always do so much better when you realise what stage you are at. For med, depends on where you want to apply, but I would suggest try to gain more a* grades. Look back at your end of years and see which areas you need to focus more on. There will always be people who want to get the maximum top grade they can so getting 10 a* rather than 12 seems like the end of the world but it really isn't. With applying to uni they are generally more focused on your a level grades (again this depends on which uni you apply to). The jump from gcse to a level (aqa to edexcel for me) I found was quite Hard as the intensity of the work increases and concepts become harder to grasp but I think that is for the majority of people. That said the jump from a level to first year med is double this jump!

Thank you! I'm literally the biggest worrier ever and to be honest I know I can get more A* grades but A Levels worry me so much (even though I haven't even began to do GCSE mocks haha) Because what worries me loads is that I go to a grammar school but only 31% of people get AAB and like 35 out of 180 approx people got AAA and I feel like it seems impossible to get seeing as I'm definitely not going to be in the top 35! Also, I'm doing JWEC to OCR for Chemistry and Biology I think.. do you know anything about those exam boards? thanks again
Thank you! I'm literally the biggest worrier ever and to be honest I know I can get more A* grades but A Levels worry me so much (even though I haven't even began to do GCSE mocks haha) Because what worries me loads is that I go to a grammar school but only 31% of people get AAB and like 35 out of 180 approx people got AAA and I feel like it seems impossible to get seeing as I'm definitely not going to be in the top 35! Also, I'm doing JWEC to OCR for Chemistry and Biology I think.. do you know anything about those exam boards? thanks again

Hi, I just wanted to say that you shouldn't think that it's impossible to achieve. Why can't you be one of those getting all a's? Work hard and go for it :smile:

Top tip is to stay on top of a level work from day 1 which I really learnt after As exams. Also don't read too much into statistics they will destroy you! How well other people do and all these random numbers of who does well, who cares! As long as you know you tried your hardest that is all that matters and the results will show! I don't actually know about those boards sorry but there are other resources out there which you can use if you get stuck. Good luck with all your exams!! :smile:
Original post by BigDreamer123
Someone please tell me if I should have barts or Aberdeen as my No. 1 choice. I hope to apply to the following: Barts/Aberdeen
Brighton and Sussex
Leeds
Newcastle

When you apply you don't prioritise your choices So it doesnt matter! Not sure if this has changed though.
Original post by Lularose83
Hi, I just wanted to say that you shouldn't think that it's impossible to achieve. Why can't you be one of those getting all a's? Work hard and go for it :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm going to try as hard as I can because I've finally realised how much i want to study medicine:smile:

Top tip is to stay on top of a level work from day 1 which I really learnt after As exams. Also don't read too much into statistics they will destroy you! How well other people do and all these random numbers of who does well, who cares! As long as you know you tried your hardest that is all that matters and the results will show! I don't actually know about those boards sorry but there are other resources out there which you can use if you get stuck. Good luck with all your exams!! :smile:

I'm obsessed with statistics with things such as A Level and GCSE results and grade boundaries for some reason haha and I think that is what's worry me so much! Thank you so muchh for your advice! Are you in uni now are still doing a levels?? :smile:
Thank you so much! I'm going to try as hard as I can because I've finally realised how much i want to study medicine:smile:

I'm obsessed with statistics with things such as A Level and GCSE results and grade boundaries for some reason haha and I think that is what's worry me so much! Thank you so muchh for your advice! Are you in uni now are still doing a levels?? :smile:

I'm first year at uni doing med :smile:
I'm first year at uni doing med :smile:

Do you mind telling me what your gcse and a level results were?? And how is it?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mind telling me what your gcse and a level results were?? And how is it?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gcse 9a* a b
a level 3 a

It's okay but there's soo much work/to remember!
im not sure but I'm on WJEC for gcse (because apparently its a hard exam board and they dont want the jump from gcse to as to be as bad) and yeah I'm better at understanding things rather than just remembering things. So I'm guessing probably wjec :smile:

Ah well I was on OCR then AQA and im finding a fair bit of overlap between the 2 courses. Particularly the triple science C7 module at GCSE and unit 1 AS chem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I got 9A* 2A at GCSE, i'm predicted 4A's (but I highly doubt I will get them). I will be starting volunteering at both a nursing home and a hospital in a few weeks and will be doing a Nuffield placement in the summer. How can I make sure I do well in my UKCAT? Also what should be my priority right now? any other advice would be welcome! thanks
Gcse 9a* a b
a level 3 a

It's okay but there's soo much work/to remember!

they're amazing results and i can imagine haha!

Original post by frances98
Ah well I was on OCR then AQA and im finding a fair bit of overlap between the 2 courses. Particularly the triple science C7 module at GCSE and unit 1 AS chem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay, i know im definately on wjec and i have a feeling the as/a2 is on ocr (because the teacher had boxes saying ocr as in the biology classroom haha) so hopefully i'll be ok!
GCSE's 9a*s 2a
AS predictions: 4a's, bio, chem, maths and history
Will be doing some work experience in a nursing home and hospital and a nuffield placement. Any advice for UKCAT? What should I be making my priority?
Would 6a* 2a and 2c stand a chance at barts for medicine, ik it depends on as, UKCAT ect.. But any sort of idea on whether these grades are good enough would really be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, now is not the time to even think about UKCAT. You can take that from summer to October i think and they recommend 21-30 hours of prep. Its hard to do much more.Righ. now just focus on getting those As at AS and having some long term work experience. Don't freak out if it's not medically related, just with people. Mine has involved 2 years as a DofE leader and working in a restaurant for 11 months. They did seem to like the payed employment as it's more 'real world'.
Original post by 12Russ
Would 6a* 2a and 2c stand a chance at barts for medicine, ik it depends on as, UKCAT ect.. But any sort of idea on whether these grades are good enough would really be appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if they still do this but check ucas tariff points.

Latest

Trending

Trending