The Student Room Group

I am thinking of applying for nursing. I am 22 and have a degree and currently at uni

I dont know what to do, I feel I am too old which I know is silly but I would be starting a new degree again and I wouldnt be finished until i am 26. I wish I could be working but obviously I couldnt if i was training to be a nurse. I dont think many places offer part time nursing degrees. its just something I really want to do but feel there are too many barriers, does anyone else feel this way?
Could you not apply for graduate entry nursing? It takes 2 years vs. the usual 3 years.

26 really isn't all that old! Also, nursing definitely seems to attract more mature students than other courses. I'm not going to have graduated until my late 20s and am interested in doing postgrad degrees.
Original post by trifleontoast
I dont know what to do, I feel I am too old which I know is silly but I would be starting a new degree again and I wouldnt be finished until i am 26. I wish I could be working but obviously I couldnt if i was training to be a nurse. I dont think many places offer part time nursing degrees. its just something I really want to do but feel there are too many barriers, does anyone else feel this way?

Honestly your not old at all, I've just been offered a conditional place at Oxford Brookes and I can't wait. I will also being living in halls , anyway the thing is I just turned 34 .. So honestly don't worry, there will always be people older , people like me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kathykathykathy
Could you not apply for graduate entry nursing? It takes 2 years vs. the usual 3 years.

26 really isn't all that old! Also, nursing definitely seems to attract more mature students than other courses. I'm not going to have graduated until my late 20s and am interested in doing postgrad degrees.

I wish. But unfortunately I dont meet the entry requirements, thats why I am really stuck what to do. This is a reason I want to go into mental health nursing because Ive been through mental health and I had no support, it effected my degree. So I want to be there for mental health sufferers. But, I am currently training to become an Early Years Teacher (its not actually a teacher, its a new course) so I also would like to go into child nursing, as I love working with children. And i am currently doing my assignment on increasing emotional development in children so thats linking the two.
So that ontop of feeling too old, and not being able to afford to be a full time student again is really stressing me out. Do you think they attract more mature students even if they dont fit the bill so to speak? Im also a male, which makes me nervous as at one point I wanted to go into midwifery but wouldnt be able to handle the stigma. I get enough stresses of being a male in childcare.
Original post by Ex_Bootneck
Honestly your not old at all, I've just been offered a conditional place at Oxford Brookes and I can't wait. I will also being living in halls , anyway the thing is I just turned 34 .. So honestly don't worry, there will always be people older , people like me :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats. And thanks, I will reconsider not applying. i just think I will really struggle being a full time student again for 3 years without working. Thats what is putting me off, and the fact of being older in halls etc, makes me really really nervous
Reply 5

Average age of students on healthcare courses, especially midwifery/nursing and AHPs, is much higher than normal degrees. That is a given for the postgraduate courses but also true for the undergraduate ones as well.

I have a degree, a master's degree, and worked for a few years before starting an undergraduate course in speech and language therapy last September (I left a full-time job to start it). I will be 31/32 when I graduate but I am actually one of the youngest mature students on the course!

Evidence shows that mature students get worse degree classifications than younger students but are better at getting jobs. There should be no issue with you starting your nursing career at 26. :smile:

You don't have to live in halls and if you so most universities have separate parts for those doing nursing due to the nature of the degree.
Many people who do nursing are often mature students and this will benefit you a lot more. I think if you really want to go for it then you should. The NHS pay for the degree and you get a bursary and you may get a maintenance loan so don't worry too much about finances. Many student nurses also work bank or agency to have extra funds. You're able to do this if you can balance work correctly.
Try and get some experience to see what branch you like. If needs be take a few years, work, gain experience and then apply to do nursing. It may help! Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending