The Student Room Group

How's Your House Hunt Going?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flauta
Had no idea Sheffield was that bad, in Nottingham second and third years told me it was fine to do it even as late as summer.

Yeah, for Sheffield it's more like March at worst and that's if you only need a 3/4 bed and are fine with a less than desirable area. Otherwise, 1/2 beds aimed at students or 5+ beds really need to be done before Christmas although this year was particularly bad and everything was going a couple weeks earlier than last. It's slightly easier for Hallam students compared to UoS students but either way Sheffield is still a bad city for housing compared to most others.
Not sure where to start. It's unlikely I'll be able to find a single flat cheap enough, so I'll probably have to go into a student house with other people. But I don't have anything resembling a friendship group so I don't know who to share with.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Isn't it too early to even look for renting a property? I'm starting at a private uni in September which means they have no halls, but I've only been looking to see what's on the market. Should I actually be contacting landlords about possible renting already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Isn't it too early to sign contracts for renting a property? I'm starting at a private uni in September which means they have no halls, but I've only been looking to see what's on the market. Should I actually be contacting landlords about possible renting already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, now I'm starting to get worried. I won't know which city I'll be living in until at least mid-March. I know I found my house in like July last year but I want to live with more sociable people next year. As well as needing a large room (I have lots of stuff) and a house with two toilets (I have eating disorder issues).
Great! :biggrin: There's seven of us from our group of friends on our course who have decided to live together, and we signed the contract just before the Christmas holidays. It's a nice house, too- five minute walk from the uni, but not in a really noisy part of Plymouth, so it's ideal! :biggrin: Oh, and it comes with an ornamental giraffe, too :wink:
well I'm gonna be sharing a place with 1-3 other people but I haven't looked at the specifics because me and my friend who I'm sure I'll be sharing a flat with hasn't completely agreed on who the other person will be... also flat searching in london is a hassle...
Dear Friends ,

Please kindly guide me for selection of Universities in UK for MBA whose selection letter i am holding to finalise with preference and few details about them to me.They are :-

1) University of NewCastle
2) University of Lancaster
3) University of Durham
4) University Birmingham
5) University of Starthclyde
Original post by abhishekguptaias
X

Hi there,

This is a thread about accommodation, I think it'd be more use to post this in a new thread in the Business and Management forum.

I hope you get the answer you're hoping for. :smile:
I have no roommate prospects so this is gonna be hard.
Original post by RFowler
Not sure where to start. It's unlikely I'll be able to find a single flat cheap enough, so I'll probably have to go into a student house with other people. But I don't have anything resembling a friendship group so I don't know who to share with.

This!!!
Original post by *Thedreaming*
This!!!

I've found someone post on the student room about housing, asked them, they added me to a group on facebook, we met and now 8 of us are looking for a house together. It's not ideal and it's making me stress a lot, and now a few other people have asked about what I'm doing but I feel a bit trapped. I can't really say no when we're booking viewings, but if I do, there's no guarantee I can find something better. It's tricky no matter what you do!
Original post by daisychain_
Anybody house hunting in London?

I might be. All of my choices are from London, and the best offer I got so far is from King's. If that sticks, I'll have to find a private accommodation, their cheapest hall prices are up to twice compared to Imperial and UCL :frown: The worst part is I'm from overseas and don't have any friends coming with me, so I'm worried/nervous and I'm going to be so until I have a signed piece of paper.

Any advice whatsoever would be welcomed, I'm worried about sending money to secure a house without even knowing it it's real or not, and have no idea how to find people to live with. I know two persons that will be in London next year, but we really don't get along.
Reply 33
Hey,

I'm a March intake student nurse at Greenwich University. My school year runs from March to February. I applied for the Avery Hill accommodation halls thinking it wouldn't be too much money and its a great way to meet new friends. I was offered a place on Friday just gone and when I looked at the offer it said that the contract runs from 14/03/2015 to 20/06/2015. I don't finish for the summer until 27/07/2015... leaving me a month without accommodation. When I contacted them and asked about it, they said that all contracts ended then and that they couldn't guarantee me a place in halls because the halls didn't belong to them over the summer period but they would try their best to make sure that students were offered a place. I don't like this kind of uncertainty! This has me kinda stressed out, because now I have got to try and find some kind of solution in a month and a half! The deadline for accepting the uni halls offer is on Thursday 5th.

I either.. take the offer and hope and pray that they can house me for the month before summer and then reapply for August.. or take the offer and look for private accommodation.. or go back to live with my parents.. (I live 2 hours away :/). Or look for private accommodation for the whole year... What a mess! If I had known about this sooner I could of sorted something out sooner.. and wouldn't be stressing. I'm really disappointed at how its all turned out. It's like they only cater for September starts even though they have March intakes.

So.. I've decided not to take the universities offer of accommodation (it's too much worry and hassle for 3 months) and plump for private rents. I'm now hunting high and low. The prices aren't that much different, and I don't mind commuting for a bit. I've been lucky enough to find a place to look at tomorrow with some lovely people not too far away from the university, and I'm hoping its a suitable match!

I know for my second year I will applying a lot earlier and I won't be going to halls.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
Reply 34
Yep, we've paid the deposit and signed the agreements on Monday.
Original post by becsb17
Hey,

I'm a March intake student nurse at Greenwich University. My school year runs from March to February. I applied for the Avery Hill accommodation halls thinking it wouldn't be too much money and its a great way to meet new friends. I was offered a place on Friday just gone and when I looked at the offer it said that the contract runs from 14/03/2015 to 20/06/2015. I don't finish for the summer until 27/07/2015... leaving me a month without accommodation. When I contacted them and asked about it, they said that all contracts ended then and that they couldn't guarantee me a place in halls because the halls didn't belong to them over the summer period but they would try their best to make sure that students were offered a place. I don't like this kind of uncertainty! This has me kinda stressed out, because now I have got to try and find some kind of solution in a month and a half! The deadline for accepting the uni halls offer is on Thursday 5th.

I either.. take the offer and hope and pray that they can house me for the month before summer and then reapply for August.. or take the offer and look for private accommodation.. or go back to live with my parents.. (I live 2 hours away :/). Or look for private accommodation for the whole year... What a mess! If I had known about this sooner I could of sorted something out sooner.. and wouldn't be stressing. I'm really disappointed at how its all turned out. It's like they only cater for September starts even though they have March intakes.

So.. I've decided not to take the universities offer of accommodation (it's too much worry and hassle for 3 months) and plump for private rents. I'm now hunting high and low. The prices aren't that much different, and I don't mind commuting for a bit. I've been lucky enough to find a place to look at tomorrow with some lovely people not too far away from the university, and I'm hoping its a suitable match!

I know for my second year I will applying a lot earlier and I won't be going to halls.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Oh my God, you live two hrs away? And you're worrying?! If you were an overseas student, I'd say... your worst case scenario is you'll travel back and forth 4 hrs every day for a month, I had many classmates in high school doing this, rather than study at a closer, worse one (or stay away from family for 5 days a week).

Considering the deadline's tomorrow, I think you'd better accept their deal and keep looking for private accommodation to cover that one month, you'll be fine.:smile:
Reply 36
I'm a worrier.. that's just me. And everyones experience is different..and I don't want to commute 4 hours a day. Plus I couldn't afford it. Hence living out of home. But if that's what needs to happen then so be it!

It'll work out in the end :smile:
Is it better to stay in the Uni Campus during your first year as student?
Reply 38
My accommodation is now sorted!
Reply 39
When looking for private accommodation where do you look? Everywhere I've been trying won't even consider because most properties are already available and don't want to leave the property empty waiting for August to roll around!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest