The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Which one to choose Bristol/York/Edinburgh?!

Hello,everyone! I'm an international student. :smile:
I've received offers from all these three uni. Bristol is for Grology&Biology. York is for Biology. Edinburgh is for Biological sciences. Really have no idea which one to confirm...> <
Can anyone help?
Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I chose Edinburgh over Bristol for CS. Bristol is my insurance.
I love how we can explore different subjects in year 1 and decide our major in year 3 :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Raysorb
I chose Edinburgh over Bristol for CS. Bristol is my insurance.
I love how we can explore different subjects in year 1 and decide our major in year 3 :biggrin:

Hiya. Nice to meet you!
Can I ask your requirement if you don't mind:smile:
I think I might confirm Edinburgh too, but not sure whether it is worth doing Biology there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sualmmoner
Hiya. Nice to meet you!
Can I ask your requirement if you don't mind:smile:
I think I might confirm Edinburgh too, but not sure whether it is worth doing Biology there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pleasure's all mine :biggrin:

I'm from India, so we get conditionals in %
Edinburgh - 75% Overall in 5 subjects. (Some people have got 80-85 in the same course, I think it depends upon how good your statement was)
Bristol - 87% Overall in 4 Subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Raysorb
The pleasure's all mine :biggrin:

I'm from India, so we get conditionals in %
Edinburgh - 75% Overall in 5 subjects. (Some people have got 80-85 in the same course, I think it depends upon how good your statement was)
Bristol - 87% Overall in 4 Subjects.

It seems that Bristol asks for higher scores. Then why Bristol is your insurance? And why there is difference in the number of subjects? Sorry for asking these simple questions, just out of curiosity:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It seems that Bristol asks for higher scores. Then why Bristol is your insurance? And why there is difference in the number of subjects? Sorry for asking these simple questions, just out of curiosity:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure about the number of subjects part, I guess it depends on universities.

I love Edinburgh so I was gonna firm it with or without insurance. :biggrin: I chose Bristol as my insurance because I'm pretty bad at chemistry and I can omit chemistry marks in the choice of 4 subjects :3 if it comes to it.
Reply 6
Original post by Raysorb
I'm not really sure about the number of subjects part, I guess it depends on universities.

I love Edinburgh so I was gonna firm it with or without insurance. :biggrin: I chose Bristol as my insurance because I'm pretty bad at chemistry and I can omit chemistry marks in the choice of 4 subjects :3 if it comes to it.

All right.
I'm sure you will reach it!
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Also I forgot to add that Bristol requires 90 in mathematics whereas Edinburgh requires 85.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
All right.
I'm sure you will reach it!
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you too.
^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't the Edinburgh one 4 years? I would go for Bristol as it's better than York in my opinion and it's in a city so your pretty much guaranteed better socal life.
Reply 10
Original post by Raysorb
Also I forgot to add that Bristol requires 90 in mathematics whereas Edinburgh requires 85.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths will not be a big problem~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Raymat
Isn't the Edinburgh one 4 years? I would go for Bristol as it's better than York in my opinion and it's in a city so your pretty much guaranteed better socal life.

As the courses maybe more flexible , I won't complain about the length of time. Bristol is a great city,but biology in York seems better. So, I can't decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As the courses maybe more flexible , I won't complain about the length of time. Bristol is a great city,but biology in York seems better. So, I can't decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for the course that you feel me comfortable with. I know a girl that chose York over Imperial for Biomedical Sciences because it was better at York than Imperial for whatever reason so yeh I hope that makes you feel happier.
Reply 13
Original post by Raymat
Go for the course that you feel me comfortable with. I know a girl that chose York over Imperial for Biomedical Sciences because it was better at York than Imperial for whatever reason so yeh I hope that makes you feel happier.

Thank you!
BTW,are you a university student now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!
BTW,are you a university student now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I will starting university this summer.
Biological Science at Edinburgh is probably pretty good (Top 3 in REF 2014). Edinburgh has a reputation in that area.
Reply 16
Original post by Okorange
Biological Science at Edinburgh is probably pretty good (Top 3 in REF 2014). Edinburgh has a reputation in that area.

I heard about that but its ranking in UCG is not that high. I'm quite confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I heard about that but its ranking in UCG is not that high. I'm quite confused.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is UCG?

Its world ranking is also quite high, I would trust the UK government's research rankings more than anything else as it actually determines future funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Bird - Was a potential nobel winner but it turns out the award was given but his name wasn't included. Still on staff however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Southern - A Lasker award winner, developed the southern blot
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Okorange
What is UCG?

Its world ranking is also quite high, I would trust the UK government's research rankings more than anything else as it actually determines future funding.

University complete guide.

It makes sense.:smile: Then I will confirm it anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest