The Student Room Group

Oriental Studies (Japanese)

Hey guys/girls! I need some tips on re-applying to Oxford for 2016 Entry. To give you some background knowledge: I decided to apply for a Law degree at Oxford, Durham, KCL, Exeter and Glasgow. I was rejected from Oxford (Lincoln College) post-interview, and have offers from the rest (except from King's - I'm still waiting on them). After mulling my Oxford rejection over, I realized that the reason I didn't get accepted to Oxford was because I am not 100% passionate about Law. I, however, listened to my parents, and applied for the Law course regardless.

I am now considering reapplying to Oxford, except for Oriental Studies (Japanese), a subject I know I am 100% passionate about. I wouldn't be taking a gap year, but rather starting a course at one of the aforementioned unis, and I'd simply try my luck at Oxford once again. I know it sounds like a waste of time and money, but it is something I am 100% set on doing. Could anybody outline the process of reapplying to Oxford when one is already at another uni? What is one usually asked at the Japanese Studies interviews? How should I go about preparing? Thank you in advance for listening to my rambling and for your suggestions/tips.
Original post by robthehero
Hey guys/girls! I need some tips on re-applying to Oxford for 2016 Entry. To give you some background knowledge: I decided to apply for a Law degree at Oxford, Durham, KCL, Exeter and Glasgow. I was rejected from Oxford (Lincoln College) post-interview, and have offers from the rest (except from King's - I'm still waiting on them). After mulling my Oxford rejection over, I realized that the reason I didn't get accepted to Oxford was because I am not 100% passionate about Law. I, however, listened to my parents, and applied for the Law course regardless.

I am now considering reapplying to Oxford, except for Oriental Studies (Japanese), a subject I know I am 100% passionate about. I wouldn't be taking a gap year, but rather starting a course at one of the aforementioned unis, and I'd simply try my luck at Oxford once again. I know it sounds like a waste of time and money, but it is something I am 100% set on doing. Could anybody outline the process of reapplying to Oxford when one is already at another uni? What is one usually asked at the Japanese Studies interviews? How should I go about preparing? Thank you in advance for listening to my rambling and for your suggestions/tips.

Hi,

I applied for Oriental Studies Japanese this year (rejected post-interview) and will be reapplying next year too! :hugs:

Tbh I'd strongly advise against starting university in September then reapplying to Oxford during your first year. Oxford and Cambridge have said in the past that they don't like people doing that as it undermines the whole university system, and you'd be rejected. It would be much better to plan a sort of gap year and do something during it then reapply.

The process would still be exactly the same, everything's through UCAS. For Japanese there's no admissions test, just 2 pieces of submitted work (that have to be marked by teachers and signed). For the interview, some of it was general questions ("why Japanese?" being the most obvious!) and then we talked on specific topics as well. I don't really want to talk about my interview on here, so feel free to PM me if you'd like to know :tongue:

In terms of preparations, making sure you really read up on the subject is important. I read a **** ton of literature, so I'd suggest reading into history and other aspects of Japanese culture that interest you. Now would be the time to start thinking about all of that.

Feel free to ask for anything else. I'm literally in the exact same position as you, except I applied for Japanese last year as well and am doing a gap year next year :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
Hi,

I applied for Oriental Studies Japanese this year (rejected post-interview) and will be reapplying next year too! :hugs:

Tbh I'd strongly advise against starting university in September then reapplying to Oxford during your first year. Oxford and Cambridge have said in the past that they don't like people doing that as it undermines the whole university system, and you'd be rejected. It would be much better to plan a sort of gap year and do something during it then reapply.

Hm, I'm not too sure Oxford has any prejudice against people who have started a year at university. In their FAQ page they say they have absolutely no problem. I applied from another university and got in, they never even mentioned the subject.
Original post by Idontknowi
Hm, I'm not too sure Oxford has any prejudice against people who have started a year at university. In their FAQ page they say they have absolutely no problem. I applied from another university and got in, they never even mentioned the subject.

Really? That's weird. When I was there before someone asked about doing that and they said don't.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Really? That's weird. When I was there before someone asked about doing that and they said don't.

I might have been a lucky exception! :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending