The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HennersPD
Oh OK thanks for your advice! Have you had experience with applying for DSA? Is it difficult? And yes haha just saw that my mistake :wink: any accommodation you'd recommend that is close to the chemistry department? Is it worth putting firm and insurance if both unis require AAB?

I'm not disabled, so I've no personal experience of DSA, but there's a disabled students' forum here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=277

Do be aware that DSA is changing from September (for instance, you'll no longer automatically get a free laptop). Unfortunately, everything is a bit up in the air because the government has been dragging their feet and not producing the necessary guidance. However, you can still apply now and then you'll just hear back once everything's settled.

I didn't study at Bristol - I'm actually a local who's moved away since, so I'm not really the best person to talk to about Bristol halls but there is a thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81178

With regards to your firm and insurance choices, there's some guidance here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3142295 It can be worth putting down two AAB offers if you wouldn't want to go elsewhere - you may get lucky and find that if you miss your firm your insurance will let you in - but it's also a risky game as you could end up in Clearing.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm not disabled, so I've no personal experience of DSA, but there's a disabled students' forum here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=277

Do be aware that DSA is changing from September (for instance, you'll no longer automatically get a free laptop). Unfortunately, everything is a bit up in the air because the government has been dragging their feet and not producing the necessary guidance. However, you can still apply now and then you'll just hear back once everything's settled.

I didn't study at Bristol - I'm actually a local who's moved away since, so I'm not really the best person to talk to about Bristol halls but there is a thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81178

With regards to your firm and insurance choices, there's some guidance here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3142295 It can be worth putting down two AAB offers if you wouldn't want to go elsewhere - you may get lucky and find that if you miss your firm your insurance will let you in - but it's also a risky game as you could end up in Clearing.

Ok thank you or your advice, I'll take this into account when making my decision.
Original post by JMJ_1996
I did like badock but I'm a vegetarian and pretty fussy and apparently the good is crap. I also have a long course and think id miss meal times sometimes so I'm not sure catered is for me. However if I wouldn't be happy in HB self catered and people aren't social I would be happy to go to badock. I looked round a flat in hiatt baker and the kitchen was massive and there were 10 rooms so I thought it would most likely be more sociable. The lady also said she matches you with like minded people did you find this?

The vegetarian food in Badock is often the nicest and people often asked for it if they were meat-eaters. You do only get one option but it's often absolutely fine. It's the meat stuff that can get dodgy.

Latest lectures are until 6pm and food runs from 6-7.30 pm, everyone gets to eat fine and you don't miss meals unless you have one-off commitments. You'd probably be perfectly happy in self catered HB though, by all means apply. However one thing I'd point out is that if you did have a long day every day then do you really want to go home and cook? Sure in 2nd and 3rd year onwards you'd have to cook for yourself, but I was grateful for an extra year of not having to fuss - even if the food wasn't gourmet.

Self catered in the new HB might be very sociable - I just don't know because it wasn't open when I was in Stoke Bishop. I was just commenting because I DO know about Badock :smile:

They kind of do, yes. But they are just looking at people on paper and don't really know who would get along with who.
Generally speaking, the SB halls tend to be a lot better at matching people than the city and Clifton halls, where students often are very unhappy with their flats.

It's also important to recognise that most people within flats don't make best buds within their flats. Some people have one or two close friends in their flats, but it's generally rare the whole flat will get on well and be best friends. That's not a problem, though, I'm just saying. Whether you're in a more open layout hall or flat-type hall, make sure you branch out.
Original post by lou_100
The vegetarian food in Badock is often the nicest and people often asked for it if they were meat-eaters. You do only get one option but it's often absolutely fine. It's the meat stuff that can get dodgy.

Latest lectures are until 6pm and food runs from 6-7.30 pm, everyone gets to eat fine and you don't miss meals unless you have one-off commitments. You'd probably be perfectly happy in self catered HB though, by all means apply. However one thing I'd point out is that if you did have a long day every day then do you really want to go home and cook? Sure in 2nd and 3rd year onwards you'd have to cook for yourself, but I was grateful for an extra year of not having to fuss - even if the food wasn't gourmet.

Self catered in the new HB might be very sociable - I just don't know because it wasn't open when I was in Stoke Bishop. I was just commenting because I DO know about Badock :smile:

They kind of do, yes. But they are just looking at people on paper and don't really know who would get along with who.
Generally speaking, the SB halls tend to be a lot better at matching people than the city and Clifton halls, where students often are very unhappy with their flats.

It's also important to recognise that most people within flats don't make best buds within their flats. Some people have one or two close friends in their flats, but it's generally rare the whole flat will get on well and be best friends. That's not a problem, though, I'm just saying. Whether you're in a more open layout hall or flat-type hall, make sure you branch out.

Thanks so much for all the advice, think I'll definitely choose badock because it seems more sociable and there's more places to hang out and more people to get along with. I like the idea of cooking stuff myself but I'll have plenty of time to do that in other years anyway. Do you know if there's anything I can put down which would make me more likely to get it?
Original post by HennersPD
Oh OK thanks for your advice! Have you had experience with applying for DSA? Is it difficult? And yes haha just saw that my mistake :wink: any accommodation you'd recommend that is close to the chemistry department? Is it worth putting firm and insurance if both unis require AAB?

The nearest accommodation to the Chemistry Department is 97 Woodland Road which is probably a couple minutes walk away. It's a student house with very few places and you'll mainly find international students there.

Here's a map of all nearby accommodation with walking times provided by Google, take them with a pinch of salt.

The only catered hall in walking distance from the university is Clifton Hill House. It seems that CHH is generally not filled up by first-choice applications so it's very likely that if you put it as your first choice you would get it.

My note on the UNITE halls is that people don't often apply to them given their status as not university halls and as relatively expensive accommodation. As a result, most of the people in these places didn't select them as either their first or second choices and often bond over how disappointed they all are. After that, it's not so bad. They're all conveniently positioned in the city centre and modern. The only major downside is the amount of noise which you obviously can't avoid in the centre.
Original post by JMJ_1996
Thanks so much for all the advice, think I'll definitely choose badock because it seems more sociable and there's more places to hang out and more people to get along with. I like the idea of cooking stuff myself but I'll have plenty of time to do that in other years anyway. Do you know if there's anything I can put down which would make me more likely to get it?

I think I just stressed that I'd be more suited to the features of Badock. So like I stressed I was this big personality, who would love to be in a sociable atmosphere and a big hall. That's not exactly false, I just really exaggerated haha. It's no lie that everyone, even the accommodation office, knows the reputations all the halls have. So I quite literally put in the about me sections that I like to go clubbing etc. and am really excited about the a hall with a good bar and the variety nights and pub quizzes they hold. My friends later laughed when I told them but hey, it got me in.
What's the Union like? I've heard from varying sources that it's mediocre and I've seen the building myself, it's not the prettiest.
Original post by lou_100
I think I just stressed that I'd be more suited to the features of Badock. So like I stressed I was this big personality, who would love to be in a sociable atmosphere and a big hall. That's not exactly false, I just really exaggerated haha. It's no lie that everyone, even the accommodation office, knows the reputations all the halls have. So I quite literally put in the about me sections that I like to go clubbing etc. and am really excited about the a hall with a good bar and the variety nights and pub quizzes they hold. My friends later laughed when I told them but hey, it got me in.

Haha okay thanks for the advice!
Original post by earwithfeet
What's the Union like? I've heard from varying sources that it's mediocre and I've seen the building myself, it's not the prettiest.

I don't often go in there and I'm not in Bristol this year so I'm not the best person to say anything about the refurbishment but the university recently published this video about it: https://www.facebook.com/bristoluniversity/posts/947152951961821

The university is constantly opening new study rooms around the precinct. The Richmond Building is slightly out of the precinct which means it's not as much of a social area as it might be in other universities. I believe the expectation is that (in a time long into the future) the precinct will extend to reach it and engulf it. This starts with the Beacon House project on Queens Road.

To be honest, I don't think people tend to use the Union a lot and, as such, they rate it poorly. The building itself is massive and includes the Anson Rooms on the first floor and an indoor swimming pool. I think now that it's reopening completely, societies will be able to make more use of it which will probably bring people in.
Original post by Edwin Okli
I don't often go in there and I'm not in Bristol this year so I'm not the best person to say anything about the refurbishment but the university recently published this video about it: https://www.facebook.com/bristoluniversity/posts/947152951961821

The university is constantly opening new study rooms around the precinct. The Richmond Building is slightly out of the precinct which means it's not as much of a social area as it might be in other universities. I believe the expectation is that (in a time long into the future) the precinct will extend to reach it and engulf it. This starts with the Beacon House project on Queens Road.

To be honest, I don't think people tend to use the Union a lot and, as such, they rate it poorly. The building itself is massive and includes the Anson Rooms on the first floor and an indoor swimming pool. I think now that it's reopening completely, societies will be able to make more use of it which will probably bring people in.

Thanks very much for your response! It was very helpful. :smile:
The Bristol Accommodation site says that the Colston Street accomodation is for "mature students". Does this mean mainly postgrad students apply there?

Also, any Bristol lawyers out there? How are you finding the course? :smile:
Original post by littup96
The Bristol Accommodation site says that the Colston Street accomodation is for "mature students". Does this mean mainly postgrad students apply there?

Also, any Bristol lawyers out there? How are you finding the course? :smile:

Oh, that's interesting, I hadn't seen that before. The year I was a fresher (2012/13) it was exclusively for first years, perhaps because the university was facing a massive increase in students that they couldn't accommodate. The year after they decided it should only be for postgraduate students. They probably thought it was too nice to have to repair all the damage freshers typically cause.

I've applied for returners' accommodation in Colston Street because I'm currently on an Erasmus year and the university is offering some flats in residences for final-year students. This is probably why this message has appeared; they don't want noisy freshers interfering with people who have important final-year studies. I guess some people will be put off as a result, especially those who want a typical "freshers' week every week" experience. It'll be interesting to see how they would enforce such a rule on noise.

The same would apply to Hiatt Baker (self-catered), 115 Queens Road and Winkworth House.
Original post by adekunle

Can you check your messages please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PirateEmily
Has anyone gotten an offer for Biochemistry?

Yes :smile: Do you think you'll firm Bristol?
I've just received an offer from Bristol to do my Masters, I was wondering what student work opportunities are for the University and how they pay

In my current institution many of my postgraduate friends have work with the University and it seems to pay pretty well.
How is the Physics course at Bristol like?

Would Bristol have places open in adjustment? Likewise, with accommodation?
Reply 836
Is anyone here studying Psychology or knowing some thing about the life as a psychology student in Bristol? Thanks in advance! XDD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brispsych2013
Hi, I'm a Psychology student at Bristol (going into 2nd year). If anyone has any questions relating to the course feel free to ask me. I also lived in Richmond Terrace (Clifton) for my 1st year so i can answer questions on that too :smile:

Omg hi so I know I'm a bit late but I am dreaming of going to Bristol for psychology. I just have a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering.
1) what were your entry requirements? And what did you get? Did you meet them?
2) what's the best Accomodation if you want a good social life as well?
3) is it true the posh people are snobby or is everyone generally very nice?
4) is Bristol boring? Because from what I've seen I love it but loads of people say there aren't many events and not much going on in the city
5) final question, was it hard making friends/ meeting people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 838
Hello! I've received an offer for mechanical engineering from bristol. Any recommendations for accommodation close to Queen's Building? And also what are your thoughts on the types of rooms?
Thanks! :smile:
When does the summer examination results are usually released? Especially for CompSci. Cheers

Latest

Trending

Trending