The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter or York for biology

I'm trying to decide my uni choice between Exeter and York for biology but I cannot decide between the two. If anyone studies at either or is considering studying at either any help would be much appreciated, so tough!
I'm actually in exactly situation as you (but for Astrophysics) and I cannot decide what to put as my firm. So I've started to think about the pros and cons of each. I'm sorry I can't help you specifically on biology but I'll just put down what I liked and disliked.

When I went to Exeter I really liked the forum, the physics labs were great and I loved the campus (even though it is hilly, but my sixth form is on the top of a hill). The lecture theatre was comfortable too (the seats had head rests lol). The research at Exeter is also something I looked at and was more impressed with compared to York.

York had a nice campus (it was flat, and huge), and I'm a fan of the college system as it makes the uni experience a little bit smaller and less daunting. When I was at the interview day the people were not talkative at all apart from our tour guides who were amazing and really nice. More societies at York too.

This might not apply to you but one thing to look at is any financial aid you get too.

I hope this helped! and Good luck with your exams :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Thank you that's some interesting points to consider, I loved Exeter the campus is so nice and I really like the atmosphere at the area the only thing is York is 4th in country and I can do an intergrated masters which is quite important considering how expensive it is to do an Msci postgraduation! I thought York campus was so ugly and everyone at the open day seemed quite quiet! Whereas the exeter open day people seemed a little more fun! Good luck to you too!
I think York is more respected as a research uni. Have a look at the research that is coming out of both and decide what you think is most interesting, lecturers like to lecture about their own work! Know a few bio PhDs from York and they are S*** Hot.
Original post by earthworm
I think York is more respected as a research uni. Have a look at the research that is coming out of both and decide what you think is most interesting, lecturers like to lecture about their own work! Know a few bio PhDs from York and they are S*** Hot.

That is very true! I don't really have that greater interest in the ecological side of biology which seems to be exeters main research side. Do you mean academically or hahaha
Reply 5
I am in my final year at Exeter, and have really loved it. Excluding Oxbridge would not have wanted to be anywhere else. Fantastic experience,fantastic well run Uni.
Original post by Film
I am in my final year at Exeter, and have really loved it. Excluding Oxbridge would not have wanted to be anywhere else. Fantastic experience,fantastic well run Uni.

That's great! What subject did you do?
Original post by Marthajones123

What's the difference between a Intergrad and a MsCi?
Reply 8

Management with Marketing
Original post by elmosandy
What's the difference between a Intergrad and a MsCi?

Integrated masters as a course you do as an undergraduate which means you pay the 9,000 fees as opposed to do a usual masters which is after you graduate and can be very expensive! Both result in you achieving an Msci or Mphil
Integrated masters as a course you do as an undergraduate which means you pay the 9,000 fees as opposed to do a usual masters which is after you graduate and can be very expensive! Both result in you achieving an Msci or Mphil

Oh okay :smile:
Reply 11
I was in the same position but when I went to York, I really didn't like the campus and the staff that I spoke to were not very friendly (this is obviously not all the staff). I am going to firm Exeter I think as they had a greater choice of modules for biological sciences and much preferred the campus. But again its completely personal opinion. I know Exeter is further down the league tables but it is still well respected.
I agree with you on the campus part! The college system doesn't sit well with me either to be honest! Exeter is so beautiful I think it would honestly break my heart to firm York even if the course is better and I can do a masters ! I quite like the lecturers at York mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending