The Student Room Group

TSR PhotoSoc (and post your gear thread)

Scroll to see replies

Canon launches a 'higher entry level' D760 with two control dials and a top LCD screen, Pentax users finally get fully articulate screens and WiFi control in a fully weather sealed body and a FF body with at least five new FF lenses on the horizon.

Exciting times ahead :biggrin:
Original post by Sir Fox
Canon launches a 'higher entry level' D760 with two control dials and a top LCD screen, Pentax users finally get fully articulate screens and WiFi control in a fully weather sealed body and a FF body with at least five new FF lenses on the horizon.

Exciting times ahead :biggrin:

Not to mention a new EOS M model that may not be terrible, an astrophotography-oriented model of D810, new Olympus M43 flagship, new Pentax DSLR and a new Olympus smartphone clip-on M43 mount camera like the Sony QX line. Plus a few bits from Samsung and Sigma, it's been a very busy week for camera releases!
Oh yes, the Sigma 24 mm f/1.4 'Art' - finally a sharp, fast 35 FF equivalent for APS-C!
Original post by Sir Fox
Oh yes, the Sigma 24 mm f/1.4 'Art' - finally a sharp, fast 35 FF equivalent for APS-C!

Well there's the Nikon and Canon 24mm 1.4s if you've got over a grand to spare! Going by the previous Art Lens' pricing (or at least the three most popular ones), this one should come in at around £650-£700 when it starts selling over here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh yeah, I forgot. As a Pentax user I'm a bit used to being slightly undersupplied in the lens department :frown: Well, not that I could afford it anyway :biggrin:
By the way, this being the 'Photography Society' I thought it would be a good idea to share some great portfolios. Not ours, but those of great photographers whose works might serve as an inspiration.

I really like patitucciphoto - a collaboration of a Swiss (?) couple who shoot mostly outdoor activities and travelling:

http://patitucciphoto.com/gallery/climbing/

Sean Bagshaw is an amazing landscape photographer:

https://500px.com/Sean_Bagshaw

In a German DSLR forum user Char shows some great landscape and night sky pictures and gives a very interesting account of his work as an astrophysicist at the world's largest optical telescope, the VLT on the Cerro Paranal, Chile. If you don't speak German, just skip the text and check out the pictures, really worth it:

http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=1298162
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by Sir Fox
By the way, this being the 'Photography Society' I thought it would be a good idea to share some great portfolios. Not ours, but those of great photographers whose works might serve as an inspiration.

I really like patitucciphoto - a collaboration of a Swiss (?) couple who shoot mostly outdoor activities and travelling:

http://patitucciphoto.com/gallery/climbing/

Sean Bagshaw is an amazing landscape photographer:

https://500px.com/Sean_Bagshaw

In a German DSLR forum user Char shows some great landscape and night sky pictures and gives a very interesting account of his work as an astrophysicist at the world's largest optical telescope, the VLT on the Cerro Paranal, Chile. If you don't speak German, just skip the text and check out the pictures, really worth it:

http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=1298162

I love looking at such good shots. But god damn does it make me feel down about my own work! :frown:
Original post by dhr90
I love looking at such good shots. But god damn does it make me feel down about my own work! :frown:

Yeah, I get the same feeling. Then I just try to replicate them, read more about techniques and editing skills, curse a bit about my inferior equipment, and at the end of the day I might be a bit better than when I saw the pictures for the first time :biggrin:
That's a good way of looking at it :-)
Nikon have just announced the D7200, which is mostly an incremental upgrade on the D7100 with a few internal improvements, and a new bridge cam with an 83x zoom going out too 2000mm equivalent, which is pretty insane! Granted image quality will probably suck, shooting handheld will be a nightmare and it's heavier than most midrange DSLRs with kit lens, but it's cool to see something interesting coming out of the compact/bridge market.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, it does seem like a very moderate upgrade, but the original D7100 is still a very impressive camera in the first place. Building on this by removing the few drawbacks (tiny buffer etc.) and improving on areas like the AF system, connectivity etc. is a wise step in my opinion. :smile:

I prefer Nikon's incremental, but palpable upgrades over for example Canon's policy of spitting out tons of new models with some sensationalist details all while still delivering the worst sensors on the market. Like the 7D Mk II - best AF system there is, but dynamic range and high-ISO performance that are surpassed by older Nikon entry level models that come in at only a third of the price ...
Original post by Sir Fox
Yes, it does seem like a very moderate upgrade, but the original D7100 is still a very impressive camera in the first place. Building on this by removing the few drawbacks (tiny buffer etc.) and improving on areas like the AF system, connectivity etc. is a wise step in my opinion. :smile:

I prefer Nikon's incremental, but palpable upgrades over for example Canon's policy of spitting out tons of new models with some sensationalist details all while still delivering the worst sensors on the market. Like the 7D Mk II - best AF system there is, but dynamic range and high-ISO performance that are surpassed by older Nikon entry level models that come in at only a third of the price ...

Yeah Canon's release cycle seems very erratic, the cheaper "Rebel" series get annual upgrades with minimal changes with the occasional new sensor while the higher end cameras where it's more competitive get upgraded at a much slower pace. The fact that they stick to their own sensors is most likely what's hurting them and slowing them down, while Nikon buy from whoever they want and issue regular incremental but worthwhile upgrades. I'm personally very happy with my 70D's IQ and feature set, but Canon need to step it up in the sensor dept more than ever if they want to hold onto any of their pro/prosumer userbase.
Yes - Canon isn't slacking per se, they have some great technology available and their AF system is superior to anything else on the market. I just don't understand their stubbornness in refusing to use Sony's or Toshiba's clearly superior sensors. I wonder whether using their own ones is saving them a lot of money or whether the other manufacturers refuse to sell their sensors to Canon in order to keep an advantage ...
So i'm looking to start photography to apply to my portfolio for when I submit it in December, is a sony cybershot dsc-w90 a decent starter for compacts?
Original post by KMcCaffrey
So i'm looking to start photography to apply to my portfolio for when I submit it in December, is a sony cybershot dsc-w90 a decent starter for compacts?

It's an old and basic point and shoot, a cheap model even when it was introduced seven years ago according to reviews, with a smaller sensor than even the low end cameras being made today, no RAW support and a pretty limited lens. It will be decent in the sense that it takes digital photos and you'll be able to demonstrate an understanding of composition (if the shots you want to take can be achieved within its zoom range), but depending on what the portfolio is for, the sort of photos you want to take and how invested you will be in photography in future, it might be worth buying something newer with better functionality.
Ok, it's literally just to get me started, once i've got the basics down i'll upgrade to a DSLR, can you recommend a decent starter?
Ok, it's literally just to get me started, once i've got the basics down i'll upgrade to a DSLR, can you recommend a decent starter?

Decent starter DSLR or decent starter compact? Do you already have the W90 or are you looking at getting one? How much do you want to spend?
Starter DSLR, already have the dsc-w90. and up to about 200 pounds..
Starter DSLR, already have the dsc-w90. and up to about 200 pounds..

You can find a Nikon D3200 or Canon 1200D kit for around £200 used, either would be a very good starting point :yep: spend some time reading up on the different brands and what each camera has over the other, and try out different options in a store (you'll probably only find the D3300 on demo shelves but it's essentially the same camera as the D3200. The 1200D will be on display everywhere) to figure out which suits you the most.
Ok i'll take a look, thank you very much for your advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest