The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex Nightlife Safety

(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not exactly whom this thread is aimed at but I really relate to this!

I'm unconditional for Sussex and I've firmed it, I'm also coincidentally from Bournemouth!

I mean tbh it's important to remember that you only sampled 3 clubs, there are absolutely tons of places in Brighton! You might've just gone to the naff clubs, I mean I can think of a few places in Bournemouth which attract the scourge of society and if a Bournemouth uni hopeful visited those places I can only imagine what they'd think haha!

A lot of these factors you mentioned depend on who happens to be there. It's a mixed bag of who happens to be walking back when you're walking back. I've been to clubs here and after I have left the club and am wandering about eating chips/trying to hail a taxi/trying to find my friends I have had no issues with random creepers. There have also been nights where I've run into unsavoury characters whilst waiting for a taxi or walking about. It's just the luck of the draw tbh.

My unwanted and unasked for advice would be to just get a good, solid group of friends around you who are like-minded people. You can't control who's gonna be in the clubs, but you can control whom you go out with. Personally I'm massive on safety, so if I go out with people I ensure that I know where each of them is and when it's time to go home I make sure that they're all with me. Even the safest places can be scary when you're alone after all!!

(I'm probably an overtly cautious person, I intervene if I see a dude hitting on a girl and she doesn't seem to like it. I've paid for taxis for girls whom I've never met before just to ensure they get home and get away from the creepy guy who's trying to get her home with him. So yeah I'm pretty massive on safety and I can be somewhat... overly concerned about safely haha)

Obviously I'm not the target audience for your question and I apologise if my response unnecessary and irrelevant :redface:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
(edited 8 years ago)
I mean yeah you're probably more likely to bump into bad people around certain areas, but tbh that's a risk you take with anything. The most important things are the actions you take and the people you surround yourself with. I really wouldn't let that spoil Sussex for you. Besides, even in the more rural areas in Bournemouth where you think you'd be safe (as compared to the bustling city centre or something) you can meet some proper inbred loons.

Also I'm inferring that you went out on a Friday night? Friday nights are pretty notorious for attracting some right weirdos. I'm sure as you get to know Sussex more and get to know the nightlife more, it'll be easier to discern what clubs and what nights are worth going to! I've always found weekday nights to be better nights than weekend nights, they attract less creeps. Well in my experience anyway.

I'm like you and I've been researching the nightlife (I've even made a list with pros and cons of each club/bar/place, how sad is that haha) but tbh you can never really tell till you're there.

Also what people recommend you as being 'the best' is marred by their own personal bias. What I might consider a bit of a mangy nightclub full of dodgy old creeps, someone else might consider an epic night out!

Besides when you're at uni, I guess it'll be part of the fun going to new places and being like 'omg that club was well naff, we'll never go there again!'. It's part of the experience!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a 2nd year at sussex, and do biomedicine. I can promise you - clubbing in brighton is so safe. SO SAFE.

I go out a lot, and i've never had any problems. I've seen hardly any fights, even at the end of the night. You just dont see it.

What you have to remember is that a Friday night in Btown is not representative of the normal student experience. Normally students go out between Mon - Thurs. Fridays you get less students and more adults / teens who have jobs and I can tell you, I dont go out on fridays because its noticeably rougher and you get a LOAD more weirdos.

Clubbing on mon - thurs there are LOADS of club nights, you went to 3. I love coalition, and pryzm - but I avoid shoosh like the plague. Its chavvy as hell and you get dreadful people in there. The only night I go pryzm is wednesday which is the student night, and its a GREAT vibe. Everyone in there is out to have fun, and I ALWAYS feel safe. Theres not been on time i've walked home (alone) and not felt safe. Please, PLEASE dont worry about the safety of clubbing in brighton. Its probably one of the safest towns about, because as we have two uni's in brighton everyone you see is generally a student, and theres a bit more of a community spirit.

As for drugs - this is the only thing in brighton which is a negative. Drugs are absolutely everywhere. The smell of weed is common in brighton, and to see people doing coke in a toilet isn't unheard of. (I've known people who have done it..) But unlike in london, the druggies here stick to themselves. You're not going to get shanked in a dark alley by a scary dealer.

Im repeating myself, but as I said I go out 3 ish times a week, and have never felt unsafe. There are creeps in clubs who try to grope you or get a bit close, but you get that everywhere. Friday night isn't representative. Shoosh is for chavs, and pryzm on fridays is full of weirdos. Coalition is good on fridays, and i've not been in there when it isn't absolutely popping, so you probably didn't give it a chance if you went to three clubs in one night.

I've waffled a lot here, but i cannot stress enough - I have categorically never had any issues in brighton when clubbing, and do not know anyone who has. The only downside is that drugs are common, and certain clubs have issues with mandy. (MDMA) But if you look past that, Brighton has the best club / night life in the south. You can't go wrong, I promise you. Brighton is safe, dont let that be an issue in coming here.

Any other specific questions, drop me a message.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending