The Student Room Group

Camp America 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Hey all, I'm going to apply this week with CA, does anyone think this is too late or should I be OK?

(I believe I'm otherwise a strong candidate etc etc etc)
Original post by Jd9922
So what are these Skype interviews like?
What do camps ask? Would they throw a scenario at you at ask you what you would do or are there more questions about your experience, hobbies ect.?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

It really does depend on the camp director and what information has already been provided in your application. Common questions are generally along the lines of
why do you think you're suitable for this camp?
what can you bring to this camp?
how will you overcome....?
describe a situation where you dealt with something under pressure

They may throw a scenario at you and ask how you would deal with it. Probably something to do with a realistic issue you may have to face with campers such as homesickness. It's also usually a chance for you to ask good, engaging questions which show you really want to understand the dynamic of the camp and you're taking your prospective role seriously.
Original post by Lauws
Hey all, I'm going to apply this week with CA, does anyone think this is too late or should I be OK?

(I believe I'm otherwise a strong candidate etc etc etc)

Now it's March you're really pushing it for time. I know CCUSA (a different agency) close applications tomorrow but I'm not sure about CA. Embassy appointments start the week after so if you want to go to camp, you might want to get a move on!
Reply 243
Original post by smileitsjess
Now it's March you're really pushing it for time. I know CCUSA (a different agency) close applications tomorrow but I'm not sure about CA. Embassy appointments start the week after so if you want to go to camp, you might want to get a move on!

CA is closing 'sometime in April' I'm hoping to submit tomorrow / Tuesday hope it's going to be on!
Original post by IAmEchelon
I'm not applying till next year(don't want to be away for results day)

but, I'm unsure about what firm to apply with? Can someone give me pros and cons of each one? Like which is the cheapest? Pays for your flight? Anything really, I want to be informed

And any tips for my application? I don't really have much experience, like I don't have a skill or anything( I do like english- so like creative writing and story telling, however I don't have any actual proper experience, apart from school work and babysitting young family members?)

I also have a part time job which involved working with children sorta, it's at a bowling alley so you know

Anything would be helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a website aimed for students which compare each agency step by step, I don't have it right now but I can try to find it later.

I looked at all of them and I decided to go with AmeriCamp. There isn't a 'best' one as they all offer different things.
Camp Leaders had mixed reviews and people saying they took more money than they said they would, and they take a large cut of the wages you earn. However they book your flights for you.

With AmeriCamp you pay/book the flights yourself, but you earn a lot more money, they arrange things for you to do in the travelling month (don't know whether Camp Leaders do that), and the reviews seem good. If I have any problems I tweet or ring and they sort it out straight away.

Good luck whatever you decide :smile:

And most people applying are students too, so having actual experience shouldn't be that common. Even babysitting counts as experience to be a camp counsellor so you should be fine, especially with your part time job! :smile: Most people get placed so don't worry about that. I don't have a lot but with the application video I just showed my personality and creativity over actual experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by snowystarks
There's a website aimed for students which compare each agency step by step, I don't have it right now but I can try to find it later.

I looked at all of them and I decided to go with AmeriCamp. There isn't a 'best' one as they all offer different things.
Camp Leaders had mixed reviews and people saying they took more money than they said they would, and they take a large cut of the wages you earn. However they book your flights for you.

With AmeriCamp you pay/book the flights yourself, but you earn a lot more money, they arrange things for you to do in the travelling month (don't know whether Camp Leaders do that), and the reviews seem good. If I have any problems I tweet or ring and they sort it out straight away.

Good luck whatever you decide :smile:

And most people applying are students too, so having actual experience shouldn't be that common. Even babysitting counts as experience to be a camp counsellor so you should be fine, especially with your part time job! :smile: Most people get placed so don't worry about that. I don't have a lot but with the application video I just showed my personality and creativity over actual experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo thank you this helped at lot! I'm sure I can find the website easily enough. I'm just worried about the money, I really want to do this but I'll be a uni student at the time so money will be non existent

What agency did you go through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooo thank you this helped at lot! I'm sure I can find the website easily enough. I'm just worried about the money, I really want to do this but I'll be a uni student at the time so money will be non existent

What agency did you go through?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AmeriCamp :smile: I understand about the money. The money you earn could probably cover what you pay to go to the camp, but the travelling month would be down to you. That's what I'm nervous about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmeriCamp :smile: I understand about the money. The money you earn could probably cover what you pay to go to the camp, but the travelling month would be down to you. That's what I'm nervous about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you going travelling? Do you travel by yourself or with your camp mates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where are you going travelling? Do you travel by yourself or with your camp mates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a lot of people make friends at the camp and then travel together. I'm quite shy so I'm scared I won't make any friends and then traveling alone would suck.
But I want to go to New York, LA and see some other places / sights. I haven't planned it yet since I'm still waiting to be placed (and I don't know where that'll be). But flight costs and accommodation will all add up.
It seems a little scary now but many have managed so I have hope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure when to put my return home date as because I could have resit exams at uni on the 17th. When do camps tend to finish and will they (CA) book flights for you on the day you say you want to leave?
I think a lot of people make friends at the camp and then travel together. I'm quite shy so I'm scared I won't make any friends and then traveling alone would suck.
But I want to go to New York, LA and see some other places / sights. I haven't planned it yet since I'm still waiting to be placed (and I don't know where that'll be). But flight costs and accommodation will all add up.
It seems a little scary now but many have managed so I have hope :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo! Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, and most of all have fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to let everyone know that our applications close on March 15th. So don't forget to apply before it's too late.

Simply go to www.AmeriCamp.co.uk and let the fun begin!

Much love

AmeriCamp x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let us know if we can be of any help at all.

Much love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp x

Does anyone know how long it takes them to approve references? One of mine was approved a few days ago - but the other two have been 'awaiting approval' for about a week now!
Reply 254
Just seen this topic, I am going to Camp Towanda on 7th June flying British Airways Manchester - Heathrow - Newark. Anybody else?

Original post by sjrobertson
Does anyone know how long it takes them to approve references? One of mine was approved a few days ago - but the other two have been 'awaiting approval' for about a week now!

I don't think theres any method to it other than when someone gets round to accepting them for you!
Original post by Owen
Just seen this topic, I am going to Camp Towanda on 7th June flying British Airways Manchester - Heathrow - Newark. Anybody else?

I don't think theres any method to it other than when someone gets round to accepting them for you!

Ahh ok, thank you! 😊
Original post by timbodc
Hey Americamp, been thinking of doing camp america but think i wont be able to go out in time in terms of may/june, heard that camp canada starts later? was wondering how much later?

FYI

Camp Canada does indeed start later. Normally from June 20th to July 1st. For further info check out www.CampCanada.org

Much love and #FreeBiscuits

AmeriCamp x
Is anyone still waiting to be placed?

I had an interview from one camp director three weeks ago. They said they'd get in touch soon but so far I haven't heard anything :frown: I'm taking it as a bad sign, and I'm also nervous because no other camp has got in touch with me..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone still waiting to be placed?

I had an interview from one camp director three weeks ago. They said they'd get in touch soon but so far I haven't heard anything :frown: I'm taking it as a bad sign, and I'm also nervous because no other camp has got in touch with me..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, it's March. There's no need to panic yet. Last year I flew out on 19th June and people were still getting placed even when I'd been at camp for a few days. You have months yet! The agencies all have really good turnover rates and, especially in the later months, work round the clock to get you placed. Good luck!
I've applied to Camp America but my availability is really late, and I'm not too optimistic about getting placed really.
Although I'm starting to think that going this year is a bad idea, since I will be missing results day, and whilst I hope it's not a repeat of last year I don't want to risk it and not be here if it is.
The other thing putting me off is that you may not be placed until really late, and then it doesn't leave me much time to plan an alternative. I want to travel somehow at the end of my gap year but I don't want to not get placed and then not be able to do anything else. But I can't cancel my application if I want a refund either so I'm kind of stuck

Quick Reply

Latest