The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

QUB undergraduate applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Someone with an offer for Accounting? I intend to firm Belfast!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 41
ABB for pharmacy. Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Has anybody here applied for accommodation yet? If so, where & why?

I haven't applied to accommodation yet but I stayed in up there last weekend with some friends. Most people apply to Elms as it houses the most students. I am going to apply for Elms, a room with an en suite because the other rooms are a little more pokey. My mum wants me to apply for quiet living but I am not going to because it usually ends up being no different from the rest of Elms (from what I hear) and therefore not much point.
Original post by NekoJyo
I haven't applied to accommodation yet but I stayed in up there last weekend with some friends. Most people apply to Elms as it houses the most students. I am going to apply for Elms, a room with an en suite because the other rooms are a little more pokey. My mum wants me to apply for quiet living but I am not going to because it usually ends up being no different from the rest of Elms (from what I hear) and therefore not much point.

Ah, Nice.

I went there for an open day and found it to be pretty good.
I originally wanted to apply for an en-suite room at Elms Village w/quiet living but
if what you say is true about the noise levels then I guess I can spend my money elsewhere.

What course are you applying for?
Reply 44
Ah, Nice.

I went there for an open day and found it to be pretty good.
I originally wanted to apply for an en-suite room at Elms Village w/quiet living but
if what you say is true about the noise levels then I guess I can spend my money elsewhere.

What course are you applying for?

BEng Software and Electronic Systems Engineering w/ a year in industry to be my firm.

I think quiet living is only marginally quieter because not every quiet living room gets filled (usually) and therefore people who may not have originally applied to it may be placed there, but I do not know. If you go to any applicant days they might tell you more but remember QUB would probably be biased because they want students. If you a student they might be a good person to ask. Last years QUB forum might have users in it with more info if you ask one them. I don't know any of this for fact.
Original post by NekoJyo
BEng Software and Electronic Systems Engineering w/ a year in industry to be my firm.

I think quiet living is only marginally quieter because not every quiet living room gets filled (usually) and therefore people who may not have originally applied to it may be placed there, but I do not know. If you go to any applicant days they might tell you more but remember QUB would probably be biased because they want students. If you a student they might be a good person to ask. Last years QUB forum might have users in it with more info if you ask one them. I don't know any of this for fact.

Where else did you apply to?
Have you been to any open days?
Reply 46
I've applied to 'Computer Science' and to 'Software and Electronic Systems Engineering' and haven't heard back from either yet. I think it's because I'm not from NI :frown:
Original post by Deci
I've applied to 'Computer Science' and to 'Software and Electronic Systems Engineering' and haven't heard back from either yet. I think it's because I'm not from NI :frown:

I'm from England & heard back from QUB in November. Although, I'm applying for BSc Physics.

I sent my application during that October half-term. Where else have you applied, Jw?
Firm/Insurance choices?
Reply 48
I'm from England & heard back from QUB in November. Although, I'm applying for BSc Physics.

I sent my application during that October half-term. Where else have you applied, JW?
Firm/Insurance choices?

I see.

I applied late. Literally just before deadline day. Not sure if that would affect my chances.

My other offers are back (Aberdeen, Heriot-Watt x2) and they're unconditional - though they can't be conditionals anyway seeing as I'm out of school a couple of years.
Reply 49
Where else did you apply to?
Have you been to any open days?

Software and Electronic Systems Engineering
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Software Engineering
and Computer Engineering (University of Ulster)

I've only been to QUB open days, but I've be to quite a few and I'm going to one in Magee next weekend for UU
Reply 50
Original post by Deci

I have 2 offers for SESE. Yay! Fellow applicant! I waited 6 days for my offer but I applied in November (and live in NI). I find Queens seems to reply quicker the earlier you apply, but I don't know for definite. Also if you get your offers they should come in at the same time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by NekoJyo
I have 2 offers for SESE. Yay! Fellow applicant! I waited 6 days for my offer but I applied in November (and live in NI). I find Queens seems to reply quicker the earlier you apply, but I don't know for definite. Also if you get your offers they should come in at the same time.

:smile::smile::smile: Awesome! They may be weighing up spaces left vs number of applicants. I'm not in school anymore so that could be another reason why they're leaving mine a little later (i.e. I can't meet any other conditions).
Reply 52
I've decided that I am not taking my QUB offer as firm or an insurance.
Reply 53
Student from London and currently studying at queens any questions i am more than happy to answer
Reply 54
Original post by cb7074
Student from London and currently studying at queens any questions i am more than happy to answer

Why Queens over the many great universities in England or Scotland?
Reply 55
Original post by CescaD96
I've decided that I am not taking my QUB offer as firm or an insurance.

:rolleyes: Thread starter not even accepting the offer. Tut tut.
Reply 56
Original post by Deci
:rolleyes: Thread starter not even accepting the offer. Tut tut.

I know. :tongue: But it's best for me to leave N.Ireland, especially since I've been offered Advanced Entry and a scholarship. I also didn't really enjoy the Open Day I went to last Friday.
Original post by cb7074

When can we apply for accommodation? On the website it says applications for
accommodation for 2014/15 but not 2015/16?

When did you apply for your accommodation?
Reply 58
When can we apply for accommodation? On the website it says applications for
accommodation for 2014/15 but not 2015/16?

When all offers are sent out, the university will allow applicants. Otherwise there would be an unfair advantage to those that got offers first.

E: wrong link
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Deci
Why Queens over the many great universities in England or Scotland?

A few reasons really:

- Some of the top universities where just outside my reach in terms of grades (required A*s)
- After coming to one of the open days I was immediately impressed with the facilities and just the general good feeling of the place I got when walking around (some of the most friendliest people here as well especially compared to London). Another reason being that the Queens campus is a perfect size for a city campus with everything around the university that you could ever need, plus the city centre just a 20-25 min walk down the road.
- For me personally I feel Queens was more suited for me in terms of my course itself. For instance some of the top universities can be very large with lectures with over 200 - 300 students, whereas after speaking to a few of the lecturers Queens has more of a community feel where I could more easily talk to the lectures and personal tutors for help if needed. Currently studying here I can definitely say this is the case with the lecturers not viewing you as just another student of many and not having the time to speak with you for them just going off to do their own busy schedule/research.
-Plus half my family is originally from here (although i don't know if this really influenced my decision)

Just a few reasons, hope this helped and all the best with the upcoming exams.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending